cushings pony personality change?

weebarney

Visit site
My little old pony was diagnosed with cushings a couple of months ago, he is now on half a prascend a day but i havent had it checked yet if he is on a high enough dose. Anyhow around the same time as starting him on prascend i bought a youngster who throws his weight about in the field not really nasty just i think trying to amuse himself. Now when I go to the field old pony is often by himself or when i take the feeds sometimes it takes him a while to come over, he just looks like he has lost interest in life a bit and i dont know if its the effect the prascend is having on him or whether its the youngster is making him feel like he has to stay out of the herd to be safe. Just wondering if i should pair him with someone he gets on with and separate from the 3 others or try not giving the prascend for a while? Any suggestions or advice?

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
What was his ACTH count WB? If it was very high, half a tablet may not be anywhere near enough. The usual course of events for newly diagnosed Cushings horses/ponies is that they need to be re-tested after a few weeks to make sure the dose is correct. Cushings makes a pony feel awful - imagine if you had to live 24/7 with "fight or flight" levels of adrenaline and cortisol swamping your body. And it has side effects too, it stops the body doing normal "housekeeping" stuff such as fighting infections and infestations and keeping a proper balance of systems throughout the body. In addition, he will be feeling vulnerable and low in the pecking order so a new Tigger-type may make him very depressed. I'd urge you NOT to stop the Prascend but to re-test your wee lad to see if his ACTH levels have dropped to within a normal range. Then it may be time to put him with a different field companion for safety and for your lad's peace of mind xxx

weebarney

Visit site
What was his ACTH count WB? If it was very high, half a tablet may not be anywhere near enough. The usual course of events for newly diagnosed Cushings horses/ponies is that they need to be re-tested after a few weeks to make sure the dose is correct. Cushings makes a pony feel awful - imagine if you had to live 24/7 with "fight or flight" levels of adrenaline and cortisol swamping your body. And it has side effects too, it stops the body doing normal "housekeeping" stuff such as fighting infections and infestations and keeping a proper balance of systems throughout the body. In addition, he will be feeling vulnerable and low in the pecking order so a new Tigger-type may make him very depressed. I'd urge you NOT to stop the Prascend but to re-test your wee lad to see if his ACTH levels have dropped to within a normal range. Then it may be time to put him with a different field companion for safety and for your lad's peace of mind xxx

His level was 90 something from what i can remember the vet said. I started giving half a day as thats what the instructions say to start with and then retest(if i've understood them right!). Money is very tight right now so was going to get vet in a couple of weeks. He didnt behave like this before he started the drugs which is why im thinking its either that or the new horse upsetting him.

be positive

Visit site
They often get a bit depressed when first on the treatment, stick with it and he should perk up, if he is really bad drop to every other day for a week then go back to every day but do not stop it.

Mine hardly ate the first winter, he just took enough to get by, I found that tweaking the amount worked then he just picked up, he has the odd low time now and actually gets an increase for a week which works for him, in summer he is so much brighter than when the weather is cold and damp, so last summer was not good for him:(

fatpiggy

Visit site
Depression and loss of appetite are known side effects in the early stages of treatment. Don't forget that the short daylight hours affects animals the same as it does us. You don't say how big your pony is but I would say half a tablet for a reading in the 90s is low. My old girl was 15.1 but had huge withers so was really a 14.2 pony and her reading was in the low 60s, but she went straight in on a full tablet. I would definitely take care and choose your pony's companions carefully. Even a treated Cushings case is very vulnerable to injury and infection and I would stick with known quiet or elderly companions. Personally, I think anything over 20 should only be in with other oldies. They may still have their mad half hours every so often but the antics of youngsters are just too much for them. Oldies want to graze and doze the day away. Youngsters SHOULD be playing - with other younger and more able friends. I'm no expert but I suspect that in the wild, a 15 year old would be about the limit. Having a foal every 11 months takes it out of any mare, especially those on poor natural grazing and of course, geldings don't exist. So you wouldn't see our extreme veterans in the natural environment.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
Two of mine were diagnosed a few months ago, and went on 1/2 tab of meds. They have just been retested, and one is fine, but the smaller one has gone on to 1 tab a day. He has lost his appetite a bit since going on the meds, but as he can live on fresh air, I am not too worried. He does seem a little quieter too.

I hope you can get to a stage where yours looks happier. :)

weebarney

Visit site
thanks for the replys guys, he's on half a tablet as he is only 13hh and i think 300-350kg's(cant remember the exact amount). I have separated him today with an oldish mare(who isnt exactly over the moon about it) and he did seem to come round and was digging in the snow looking for grass instead of standing doing nothing. I will get the vet out and have him retested (maybe just wont pay the bill for a little while)

paulineh

Visit site
My 25 year old New Forest mare was tested in October. Her ACTH was very high but because she has never had any real signs have started her on the Hilton Herbs CushX. She is bright and eating well.

Maybe it is the drug that is causing the problem.

millimoo

Visit site
My shetland was diagnosed 2 years ago, showing no obvious symptoms, but getting footy if not muzzled earlier each year.
His ACHT was 48 so started on half a tablet of Prascend, and retested 6 weeks later. The vet upped him to 1 full tablet following the blood test results.

My pony lives at my parents, so my mum looks after him for me with her horse.
She persevered with Prascend for a year, but said be was depressed - he would stand away from her horse in a corner under a tree. We had a debate, and ultimately (& frustratingly on my part) she stopped giving it to him about 8 months ago much to my exasperation - it's awkward as she looks after him, and we'll fall out if I insist.
Needless to say, I have just had him retested off the Prascend, and his reading is 50. He canters out in the morning, canters in, and is very perky.
I paid to have the practice manager to do the test and take bloods for his liver - this should also be checked if administering Prascend, as my mum will listen to him.
We've reached a compromise with the vet, that we'll commence with 1/4 of a tablet in February, and retest in April/May.
He's remains off the meds, is 27yrs, and is really well at the mo (he is stabled at night, and well rugged)
In relation to dosage, all horses and ponies process Prascend through the liver differently... Some are more efficient than others, either due to damage or other infections, and generally too. This is why you may see a small pony on a proportionally higher dose than something larger. It really isn't one size fits all, hence the need for 6 monthly blood tests in Spring & Autumn, moving to yearly if ACHT levels remain stable.

weebarney

Visit site
My shetland was diagnosed 2 years ago, showing no obvious symptoms, but getting footy if not muzzled earlier each year.
His ACHT was 48 so started on half a tablet of Prascend, and retested 6 weeks later. The vet upped him to 1 full tablet following the blood test results.

My pony lives at my parents, so my mum looks after him for me with her horse.
She persevered with Prascend for a year, but said be was depressed - he would stand away from her horse in a corner under a tree. We had a debate, and ultimately (& frustratingly on my part) she stopped giving it to him about 8 months ago much to my exasperation - it's awkward as she looks after him, and we'll fall out if I insist.
Needless to say, I have just had him retested off the Prascend, and his reading is 50. He canters out in the morning, canters in, and is very perky.
I paid to have the practice manager to do the test and take bloods for his liver - this should also be checked if administering Prascend, as my mum will listen to him.
We've reached a compromise with the vet, that we'll commence with 1/4 of a tablet in February, and retest in April/May.
He's remains off the meds, is 27yrs, and is really well at the mo (he is stabled at night, and well rugged)
In relation to dosage, all horses and ponies process Prascend through the liver differently... Some are more efficient than others, either due to damage or other infections, and generally too. This is why you may see a small pony on a proportionally higher dose than something larger. It really isn't one size fits all, hence the need for 6 monthly blood tests in Spring & Autumn, moving to yearly if ACHT levels remain stable.
This is the thing, if and i know i need to rule out other things first but if its the drug that makes them depressed i'd rather he had a handful of happy years than 10 years of being miserable.

Tammytoo

Visit site
Cushings can make them depressed and this time of year is when Cushings sufferers are most vulnerable. I would start by getting him re-tested, he is on quite a low dose so it may just need increasing. Five years ago our 14.2 started off on 1 tablet, then 2 years later it was increased to 1.5 and she is now on 2, but her levels are stable at the moment.

Cushings is a progressive disease so you have to be prepared to have bloods checked regularly (best in October) so you can ensure the dosage is correct. Prascend is not a cure, but it enables the sufferer to lead a normal life.

weebarney

Visit site
Just an update on this pony, I split him from the terror youngster and he is a lot happier. He can now enjoy his food without waiting to be pounced on! I have had him on half a prascend since diagnosis and can confirm his reading has gone down from 91 to 14 so I am pleased for my bank balance he can stay on half a tab for now!

Fruitcake

Visit site
This is the thing, if and i know i need to rule out other things first but if its the drug that makes them depressed i'd rather he had a handful of happy years than 10 years of being miserable.

This!!!!

Had an awful time of depression with my pony. HIs ACTH levels had only been slightly raised anyway so vet agreed quality of life was much more important. He's back to his perky self. We put him on C-Aid to try a more natural approach.

LCH611

Visit site
My 12.2 is on half a tablet a day, and he was very depressed and anorexic to begin with. He was retested and that dosage is fine. Thankfully I stuck with it and now he is absolutely In It To Win It! He is storming about the place like a 3 yr old and is very very full of the joys of spring. He seems to spend most of his days jousting and boxing with the babies, and is always heading the hooning about the field.

It is fabulous to see him looking so well and happy and he is easily keeping up with bigger ponies 20 years his junior when we are galloping out hacking, & he is certainly showing them how it should be done when it comes to popping over logs & ditches.

Prascend has been the best thing ever for him, but when he started on it, he was utterly miserable and ran rings around me whilst I offered him a la carte forage options which he refused to even look at.

Twinkley Lights

Visit site
Just an update on this pony, I split him from the terror youngster and he is a lot happier. He can now enjoy his food without waiting to be pounced on! I have had him on half a prascend since diagnosis and can confirm his reading has gone down from 91 to 14 so I am pleased for my bank balance he can stay on half a tab for now!

Great news if he continues to be picky then and loses weight may be worth trying him on copra coolstance worked wonders for an oldie on my yard he has a new lease of life and interest in his hay.