Cushings question

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I had Louis tested last week as his coat was a bit weird this year and his result was 20, vet said 15 is the normal range and that his in a grey area.

They have recommended he has the stim test to give a more accurate result before they treat.

What I'm asking is is it really necessary to have the stim test rather than just start him on a low dose of prascend, I don't want to spend unnecessary money if I don't have to.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Are you sure about the reference range being 15? That's very low.

I know that there are seasonal variations, but my two PPID ladies were tested using the usual blood pull at the end of Jan, so well after the autumn rise, and the reference range then was 34.0. (They both came in at 13, so PPID well controlled on current Prascend doses).

HelenBack

Visit site
Yeah I was going to reply to say also that at this time of year my vet uses around 30 as the healthy reference range.

I'd probably just go with that being negative or do the blood test again at a later date if you're concerned but either way I think I'd rather do further testing before starting on Prascend with that sort of value otherwise you could be treating the wrong thing unnecessarily.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Are you sure about the reference range being 15? That's very low.

I know that there are seasonal variations, but my two PPID ladies were tested using the usual blood pull at the end of Jan, so well after the autumn rise, and the reference range then was 34.0. (They both came in at 13, so PPID well controlled on current Prascend doses).

I'm sure she said 15 I will double check she is calling me this week.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Yeah I was going to reply to say also that at this time of year my vet uses around 30 as the healthy reference range.

I'd probably just go with that being negative or do the blood test again at a later date if you're concerned but either way I think I'd rather do further testing before starting on Prascend with that sort of value otherwise you could be treating the wrong thing unnecessarily.

Ok thank you