Cushings testing.

VickyP

Visit site
Hello!

My 20 year old trak x arab mare will be tested for cushings in the next few days as she has a few pointers that she may be heading that way.

Just wondering what your experiences are of management of cushings horses. I live in Italy and I think people are rather less aware of this disease for some reason, I had to request the test and my vet then had to find out what the test entails, so I gather it's something that's not done very often.

I've found alot out on the web about the symptoms but not alot about what she'll have in the way of medication and management IF she's positive.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.:)

Kiristamm

Visit site
I also think my pony may be in the early stages and need to get him tested so I will be keeping an eye on this thread with interest.

Tyra

Visit site
Here (Netherlands), horses diagnosed with Cushings usually get Pergolide. Some horses don't respond well to it(some loose theire appetite, or get depressed, so I'm told) , for them there is an alternative medicine, but I'll have to look that up. There is also a Yahoo-group, which is apparently, very informative, I could ask after that as well, if you're interested.

muff747

Visit site
Hi, I have a TB who tested positive in June 2009.
If your horse/pony is diagnosed, it is well controlled by Pergolide, or here in the UK, we have to have Prascend, which is exactly the same as Pergolide but under a different name and licenced and produced specifically for animals - Pergolide is a human drug originally prescribed for Parkinsons Disease.
Ask the vet to test the ACTH in the blood, not the test where they inject them with something in the morning and then take blood tests throughout the day. If your horse is at risk of laminitis, the latter test can tip them over the edge into an acute attack.
You can get lots of information here http://www.ecirhorse.com/
about the different test etc
Good luck both

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my 21 yr old was diagnosed in aug 2010, and she is on prascend but have had to increase the dose to 2 daily(works out quite costly), so far she is fine so the extra cost is worth it....

millimoo

Visit site
My Shetland was diagnosed a year ago...
He was not showing obvious symptoms and the vet was surprised that I asked to have him tested (low grade lami, and needed an ever increasing restrictive management over last 3 years)
So diagnosis was as follows:
Blood test #1 - Cushings test and liver function test (shouldn't give horses prascend if the liver is not right)
If positive, commence medication
Blood test #2 - retest ACHT levels 6 weeks later to check dosage is right.
Blood test #3 - retest ACHT levels in October
Blood test #4 - retest ACHT levels in March
My pony has stabilised so I plan to test yearly -'for now anyway.
Also, check the price of 160 tablets with your vet compared to online (my vet = £211 v £12 prescription + £138 online) as usually much cheaper online.
My pony is managed in the same way he has always been, although wears a Dinky Rugs muzzle during the summer and is stabled at night all year round. He is fed Hayledge (normally a no no, but he has a dust allergy)
My pony has currently levelled out at 1mg tablet which is quite high for a shettie, especially as his initial results were not off the chart. However every horse is different and some process the drug more effectively than others.
Finally, as you are in Europe you may be able to source pergolide instead of Prascend (exactly the same drug) but pergolide is cheaper

skn0404

Visit site
DO NOT allow a dex supression test. the yahoo group is the ECIR group and is very informative. You can get pergolide in the uk as i get it for my daughters pony, i pay anywhere from 47p - 73p per 1000mcg tablet. Good luck :)

millimoo

Visit site
Re pergolide... You can only be prescribed it if got horse was diagnosed before Prascend was licensed and launched.
Vets are breaking the law if they prescribe pergolide to new cases.
I know some forum members have been able to get pergolide post introduction to Prascend, but it's down to the individual vets

The_snoopster

Visit site
My shettie also has cushings I decided to ask the vet to test for it when he developed mild lami autumn 2009, although he was sound within 24 hours because he was not fat and did not really shed his coat in the spring of that year. The vet took a sample of blood and tested it, the vet rand me and said he did indeed have cushings. They sent me some pergolide through the post and told me to give him 1/3 of a tablet per day, I would then have to have him retested 1 month later to see if the dose needed adjusting. Luckily 1/3 of a tablet was just right and he has been on the same dose for over 3 years, he is treated like a lami case 24/7.
The pergolide did make him lose his appetite for the first few weeks, but because he is on constant limited grazing he still eats his bucket. However if he does find too much grass nibbles in his paddock or is offered hay before his bucket he will leav the bucket for the hay. TBH he looks fantastic and was diagnosed at quite a young age as he was only 13, my pergolide has been changed to pracsend and costs me £112 for 100 tablets off my vet