Cushings tests

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Would you have the normal acth test for a 16 year old or go for the strim test from the off as it's more reliable?

Does anyone have a rough idea of cost for the test as well please.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Would you have the normal acth test for a 16 year old or go for the strim test from the off as it's more reliable?

Id go for the normal one first, but if comes back negative and you’re still suspicious you can go for an ACTH stim test. They were running a free testing scheme, so you just pay the visit and blood sample fee for your vet, no lab fees on top.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Having had a mare who tested negative on the acth test, who then had the stim test and had massive numbers with that, I would go straight for the stim test

See this is my thinking as my mare had 3 tests only positive on 3rd she was 14 and I was convinced she had it, the extra cost I am not worried about as I get free visit days so I save on that.

Any idea of a rough cost?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Id go for the normal one first, but if comes back negative and you’re still suspicious you can go for an ACTH stim test. They were running a free testing scheme, so you just pay the visit and blood sample fee for your vet, no lab fees on top.

I know they may have to order the stuff in for the stim test so I could have the basic one first if that's the case if it's going to take a while.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
See this is my thinking as my mare had 3 tests only positive on 3rd she was 14 and I was convinced she had it, the extra cost I am not worried about as I get free visit days so I save on that.

Any idea of a rough cost?

I don't think the TRH-Stim test was particularly expensive but we paid for the visit as well. I don't remember being shocked by the price. YOu could ask your vet before you book the test, I'm sure they will tell you - it's just a blood test after all.

ETA, our vets sent the test off to the lab, the didn't process it themselves.

The test that is free with the voucher is ACTH, the more reliable test is TRH-Stim.

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I don't think the TRH-Stim test was particularly expensive but we paid for the visit as well. I don't remember being shocked by the price. YOu could ask your vet before you book the test, I'm sure they will tell you - it's just a blood test after all.

ETA, our vets sent the test off to the lab, the didn't process it themselves.

The test that is free with the voucher is ACTH, the more reliable test is TRH-Stim.

When I book I will ask them thank you

paddy555

Visit site

for a horse I was pretty sure had it I would go for the acth test and if neg. trial prascend. We tested negative twice on the acth test but he had every symptom and I insisted on a trial which completely turned him around. It was pretty clear cut despite the acth test results.

If I was doubtful, few symptoms and not really that much reason to suspect PPID but it niggled too much to leave it I would go straight for TRH.
We tested one about 4 months ago. Vet was doing a blood test anyway, the horse may have looked slightly questionable and he was 17 so I agreed to acth test as the vet was there (as it wouldn't cost anything) Results were borderline and basically told us nothing. Vet advised testing in Autumn would be much better. Horse now turned around and I suspect the problem was something else.

If I had to retest him I would go to TRH. I would look very very closely at the physical signs, compare old photos to establish muscle loss etc

Pinkvboots

Visit site
for a horse I was pretty sure had it I would go for the acth test and if neg. trial prascend. We tested negative twice on the acth test but he had every symptom and I insisted on a trial which completely turned him around. It was pretty clear cut despite the acth test results.

If I was doubtful, few symptoms and not really that much reason to suspect PPID but it niggled too much to leave it I would go straight for TRH.
We tested one about 4 months ago. Vet was doing a blood test anyway, the horse may have looked slightly questionable and he was 17 so I agreed to acth test as the vet was there (as it wouldn't cost anything) Results were borderline and basically told us nothing. Vet advised testing in Autumn would be much better. Horse now turned around and I suspect the problem was something else.

If I had to retest him I would go to TRH. I would look very very closely at the physical signs, compare old photos to establish muscle loss etc

His muscle is good but he didn't shed his coat as quick this year he is still moulting now, he has had a few footy episodes but after being off the grass for a few days calm down and his fine, his never normally footy his barefoot and has been for years now, his a little overweight so I will test for ems as well.

paddy555

Visit site
His muscle is good but he didn't shed his coat as quick this year he is still moulting now, he has had a few footy episodes but after being off the grass for a few days calm down and his fine, his never normally footy his barefoot and has been for years now, his a little overweight so I will test for ems as well.

is this an arab? (sorry if I have got the wrong person)

paddy555

Visit site

TRH test now, no question and work on the basis this is laminitis. You could be describing one of my arabs at age around 16/18. I didn't realise at the time, longterm barefoot, go over anything and then starting with footy. Muscle was OK and looking back (I didn't have the knowledge at the time) few other signs of PPID. Went on for a long time (years) and finally PTS with uncontrollable lami. Tested positive but too late by then of course.

Knowing what I know now I would have seen the start of the signs and especially a rock crunching BF horse starting to lose it.

He was tested acth a couple of years before it all ended(because I tested them all) and tested negative.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thanks I am very paranoid about laminitis having had 2 go down with it I don't want another on not on my watch!

I check pulses and they are ridden most days so I spot any early footy symptoms, they are out at night on a small field not loads of grass and they get soaked hay I basically manage them as if thet are lami prone.