Cushings Update - Got the result of her follow up blood test

LeneHorse

Visit site
Good news! After 6 weeks on 1mg of prascend my mare's ACTH level is down to 25 (was 54 in her first test). So now dilemma is do I keep her on 1mg as this has obviously worked or try reducing it to 0.5mg to see if her level stays down on this reduced dose, and retest again in 6 weeks. My feeling is to try her on the reduced dose and re-test.
As I said before she is only 14 and not showing obvious symptoms so I don't want to over medicate when she is going to be on this drug for the rest of her life and I know as time goes on she is likely to need a higher dose to control the symptoms.
I would be interested in your views and would love to hear how you are all getting on with your Cushings 'journey' as I know a few of you got diagnosed around the same time as me through using the free lab test vouchers.

nativepony

Visit site
That's really good news, am pleased for you! If I was you I'd try on the lower dose and re-test in 6 weeks or so and see where she's at, like you say she'll be on tablets forever so if you can manage her on a lower dose for a while then all the better! :)

Cushings really is a roller coaster - I had no idea how much I'd stress about it 2 years ago when my mare was diagnosed. I was devastated when I found out and although she seems ok at the moment (touch wood) she is on a high level of Prascend and I monitor her closely and worry about her on a daily basis.

Good luck with it and I hope you manage to stay on a low level for a long time :)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
good news about your results and as your is only 14 a lower dose would be my choice and then retest in 6 weeks. my mare is 21 and was diagnosed in august last year and is currently on 2 prascend daily but i feel she is not quite herself again, so will be getting her retested in the next couple of weeks. i know what you mean native pony, i worry about mine on a daily basis as well and have a horrible feeling that i will have to increase the tablets and although i dont begrudge the money to make her feel ok, i am really struggling to manage as it is......

JosieB

Visit site
My 21yr old has been on one tablet over winter, dropped down to half on vets advice after blood test... doing great, will reassess coming up to Autumn.