Cushings

Eaglestone

Visit site
Hi My horse has been on 1mg of Pergolide daily since October 2005 so just over a year and he has not had any side effects. To me it is a miracle drug as he is back to normal apart from his 'shape' .. he has lost the fullness in front of the point of hip and I can see his ribs but he looks so so good compaired to this time last year when I thought I was going to lose him to lamintis. He is 25 now and is a 14.3 Welsh x Hackney.

If you want any further advise I may be able to help!

Horseymum

Visit site
My mate's mare is on Pergolide and is doing really well. She has been on it since June 2003, takes half a tablet a day the majority of the time although it is upped to one tablet a day during the Spring (a) to help her shed her coat and (b) to reduce the laminitis risk when the grass is coming through, along of course with the usual laminitic safeguards concerning spring grass. The usual pessimists on the yard said she would be dead within six months of diagnosis - how wrong were they!

hollyzippo

Visit site
I work at a vets and we have about a dozen clients on it. All much improved and I'm not aware of any side effects. Definately worth a try
smile.gif

Kristine

Visit site
my mates little pony is on 15 periacting (sp) tablets a day!
And he's fantastic!
Still competing and jumping like the good old days

kirstiegrogan

Visit site
yes i have just found out my pony has metabolic syndrome which is what your on about and shes on the tablets but shes only been on them 10 days and shes good

hollyzippo

Visit site
Hi, just looked for price at work. We sell a pack of 10 boxes with 30 in each for 12.29 (+vat). So would depend on dose. I think a big horse would need up to 1 box of 30 per day, less for a pony. I guess ur looking at £1- £1.50 per day depending on size
smile.gif

blades

New User
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. Well, my boy has been on Pergolide since the summer but for about the same amount of time has had the runs ! Apparently they can cause diarrhoea in humans !

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Our 12 hh pony has been on pergolide since September 2005 and is doing really well on it, actually got thro last spring without laminitis. No side effects and had a summer coat as well! She was on 1 mg tablet a day and is now down to half a day. It has become much cheaper too. Our vet gives me a prescription and I go to the chemists (it is a human drug). Last box of 100 tablets cost £38.00. Was nearly £80 a box when she first started on them. Hope it works for your horse.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Our 12 hander has been on 500mg daily since August and once the temporary loss of appetite was over, we have had no problems. She has had the runs (slightly) but she has them periodically and it is, we think, due to her forage. The same happens to her now and again and it is no worse since starting the treatment.

Pricewise, it costs us 19p a day for her half a 1000mg tablet. They come in different strengths, so saying £x for 30 might be confusing. I got 100 x 1000mg tablets (enough for 200 days/6 months approx) for £39. This was on a private script from the vet and dispensed at my local pharmacy.

Do you give other supplements (human) on top of the pergolide?

Ours is right back to her old self - winning rosettes and bright as a button
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Age 27 this May
grin.gif

kirstiegrogan

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your replies. Well, my boy has been on Pergolide since the summer but for about the same amount of time has had the runs ! Apparently they can cause diarrhoea in humans !

[/ QUOTE ]

No there made for parkinsons disease in humans i talked to my doctor about them

kirstiegrogan

Visit site
Well My friend has just found out her dartmoor pony has cusions disease and he has to be put to sleep on thursday because they cant treat him as his liver is shattered
God bless Little Sam