Cushings?

lcharles

Visit site
Seems that my old mare has cushings. Vet is coming out to confirm with tests but she has all the signs :( She is 24, a 14hh tb x arab, she is a companion but hacks out a few of times a month and still lively as ever.

IF, she has cushings, can it be managed with clipping, drugs?

How much would it cost a month, roughly, for her to have these drugs? x

jessykai

Visit site
Seems that my old mare has cushings. Vet is coming out to confirm with tests but she has all the signs :( She is 24, a 14hh tb x arab, she is a companion but hacks out a few of times a month and still lively as ever.

IF, she has cushings, can it be managed with clipping, drugs?

How much would it cost a month, roughly, for her to have these drugs? x

Just a quick one as i need to be getting off.

My mare was diagnosed a few weeks ago, you have the cost of the first blood test, then if it comes back positive they'll probably start on one tablet a day. These usually cost 80p-1 (can't find pound sign lol). then a further blood test in 6 weeks to see if they are on correct dosage (and so on until correct dosage is achieved).

LifeofRiley

Visit site
My pony has cushings. Currently is on 1 tablet of prascend each day. I get a prescription from my vet and buy the drugs online as it works out much cheaper. Cheapest I've found per tablet is 97p from Viovets. Good luck

Country.Girl

Visit site
A place where I work, they give their pony 1 tablet a day. I had a pony with cushings and we were given buckets of suplements to give her and it came out at around £1 a day and we found that clipping her helped alot!

iestynlad

Visit site
Don't give up on her. My pony has had Cushings since 17 now 22 was diagnosed and has been on Prascend for 2 years now. He is still doing Fun Rides and hacking twice a week (long hacks 2 hours plus). He also schools, still has the moves. Biggest challenge is limiting grazing. Mine no longer has grass - he lives on a wood fibre arena with soaked hay, oat straw and Simple Systems feeding system. Metabolic Horse Website has lots of info and supportive forum.

elbee

Visit site
I have 2 ponies diagnosed with Cushings. They each get half a tablet of Prasend/ Pergolide per day. The first year I was able to claim back all costs on insurance. Btw , having tried lots of different ways of giving them their medication I now ground it up with a pestle and mortar and sprinkle it in their food. Works a treat :)

Shay

Visit site
You can buy Pergolide over the counter at some large Asda's. Bizarre as it is a prescription drug - but we've found that the cheapest!

muff747

Visit site
Not so bizarre, some owners found their local Boots chemists were cheaper or even Lloyds chain. My local independent chemist was finding cheapest pergolide for me until the price started to rocket up.
It's worth shopping around every pharmacy you can think of for the best price.