Cushings

claireandnadia

Visit site
Sorry everyone but my search doesn't appear to be working so I am going to have to ask a question that I am sure is on the forum somewhere.

Just looking for some experience advice please.

Last year our 10 year old mini Shetland got lami for the first time mildly. Got it all sorted and fine.

He had a vaccination last week and we mentioned to the vet about cushings and he did a test. We had the results back today and he has tested positive with a reading of 26.2 which is mild.

The vet wants to put him straight on medication which I am kind of reluctant to do at this early stage and in his very young age but at the same time, I of course want to keep him comfortable.

Any advice for me please?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would ask the vet again about the results. We were told that anything under 50 doesn't need medication but close to that should be retested regularly, in case of increase. that might be because ours were 16hh horses but one was much bigger built than the other and we were told the same for both.

If the vet thinks that the laminitis was Cushings related, I would certainly go down the medication route. It made a world of difference to the general health of my Draft mare, she had a new lease of life. Although she only had an extra year, her quality of life was greatly improved. She didn't have laminitis but did have skin problems and a long-lasting hoof abscess.

Fragglerock

Visit site
I don't think that is a positive result and I think views are changing over what to do and when to medicate. Mine had a test in August 2015 when he had laminitis and the reading was 74. My other horse was also tested (no signs at all) and he had much the same reading. I didn't medicate (with vets recommendation) but am monitoring. The second horse has had really low readings since then. The one with laminitis also had EMS so he was brought out of retirement. Since then he is ridden regularly, he's lost a lot of weight and his readings have been on a downward trend - his latest earlier this month was 27. Both big horses though.

If I had just medicated straight away they would have had nearly three years of medication that they didn't need. However not all cases are the same so you need to discuss with your vet.

claireandnadia

Visit site
Definitely needs further conversation with the vets. Thank you :)

I would ask the vet again about the results. We were told that anything under 50 doesn't need medication but close to that should be retested regularly, in case of increase. that might be because ours were 16hh horses but one was much bigger built than the other and we were told the same for both.

If the vet thinks that the laminitis was Cushings related, I would certainly go down the medication route. It made a world of difference to the general health of my Draft mare, she had a new lease of life. Although she only had an extra year, her quality of life was greatly improved. She didn't have laminitis but did have skin problems and a long-lasting hoof abscess.

claireandnadia

Visit site
I agree. I've been reading a lot about it today and our 26.2 is very low compared to some of the readings of others. Our vet is very quick to suggest going on the medication right away. Potentially our Shetland could have another 20 or 30 years so I am reluctant to put him on medication at nearly 10 years old with such a low reading.

I don't think that is a positive result and I think views are changing over what to do and when to medicate. Mine had a test in August 2015 when he had laminitis and the reading was 74. My other horse was also tested (no signs at all) and he had much the same reading. I didn't medicate (with vets recommendation) but am monitoring. The second horse has had really low readings since then. The one with laminitis also had EMS so he was brought out of retirement. Since then he is ridden regularly, he's lost a lot of weight and his readings have been on a downward trend - his latest earlier this month was 27. Both big horses though.

If I had just medicated straight away they would have had nearly three years of medication that they didn't need. However not all cases are the same so you need to discuss with your vet.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I agree. I've been reading a lot about it today and our 26.2 is very low compared to some of the readings of others. Our vet is very quick to suggest going on the medication right away. Potentially our Shetland could have another 20 or 30 years so I am reluctant to put him on medication at nearly 10 years old with such a low reading.

If the laminitis was Cushings related it isn't really right to wait until he has more episodes before it is treated. The tests aren't always that accurate but the laminitis is likely to have a cause and with spring on its way you want to do all you can to avoid him having it again if you want to have him for another 20 years.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think I would ask the vet to do a TRH (stim) test to confirm. I certainly wouldn't dismiss the idea of the pony having Cushings because of his age, I lost a 6 yr old Shire to what I now am pretty sure was undiagnosed Cushings.

claireandnadia

Visit site
If the laminitis was Cushings related it isn't really right to wait until he has more episodes before it is treated. The tests aren't always that accurate but the laminitis is likely to have a cause and with spring on its way you want to do all you can to avoid him having it again if you want to have him for another 20 years.

The vet does not think the laminitis was cushings related, it was a matter of precaution to get him tested whilst he was there doing a vaccination. The only symptom he has is excessive urinating.
On discussing with the vet again this afternoon, it has been decided that for the moment, we will not medicate but he will be tested again in 6 months. We will be managing him carefully until then.

paddy555

Visit site
I think I would ask the vet to do a TRH (stim) test to confirm. I certainly wouldn't dismiss the idea of the pony having Cushings because of his age, I lost a 6 yr old Shire to what I now am pretty sure was undiagnosed Cushings.

this, especially with excessive urination and laminitis. Numbers aren't everything. My 12yo was tested twice within 2 weeks as I didn't believe the test results. They were 17 and 11. He was very seriously ill with cushings. With the benefit of hindsight he had had cushings since he was around 6.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
The only symptom he has is excessive urinating.

Excessive urination was the first sign that mine had Cushings. His levels weren't seriously high, around 90, but he has been medicated now for around 5 years and 0.5 tablets/day are keeping him in good nick and back to normal levels. If you aren't going to medicate him keep a close eye on the urination/drinking/sweating as it will tell you if he is getting any worse, hopefully before another bout of laminitis.

JillA

Visit site
We aren't in the seasonal rise yet, so then his levels could be higher, along with the risk of laminitis when it is harder to control his diet
Given that he has already been affected by it (laminitis) and could be more at risk in the summer, and that Prascend is so effective with few side effects once they are established on it, I wouldn't hesitate. His dose would be so low (1/2 tablet for the foreseeable) if you get a prescription and buy on line, it isn't going to cost you much more than £4 a week.
The alternative is just too risky for me - my 16.1hh wb x has been on 1 tablet daily for two years now and is far healthier and less at risk of lami thanks to it.

rmasterson

Visit site
I have a 20 year old pony with Cushings. She is on medication since August of last year and her attitude has totally transformed. She was very depressed looking with no interest in anything and now she is full of zest for life which is lovely to see. However she is prone to skin conditions (just over a nasty dermatitis) and her coat is very patchy as a result. Has anyone any experience of clipping the excessive hair, does it help? I clipped her after a lice attack (2nd in 6 weeks) and the regrowth was pretty awful. Her underlying summer coat looks good so I think patience is the key but there is no sign of the longer hair coming out unlike the other horses in the yard who are shedding like mad. Any advice on coat management would be appreciated!

Fragglerock

Visit site

In my horse's case two vets thought the laminitis was because of his EMS rather than Cushings. Quite often they have both but not always hence the why I was advised to monitor rather than medicate at the time. And it's why I do my best to ride him at least 5 days a week because his retirement didn't do him any favours.

Micky

Visit site
Please have a look at the laminitis site it should give you all the answers to your questions..personally I would low medicate..it could be Cushings or ems, but Prascend can help prevent laminitis along with managed grazing soaked hay etc..mine was a low reading ..borderline he was urinating excessively no energy depressed almost and became ‘footy’, low grade laminitis..he’s 20 now and we hack jump and generally have a great life, if I hadn’t medicated back a few years, I don’t hink I’d have him now..

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Please have a look at the laminitis site it should give you all the answers to your questions..personally I would low medicate..it could be Cushings or ems, but Prascend can help prevent laminitis along with managed grazing soaked hay etc..mine was a low reading ..borderline he was urinating excessively no energy depressed almost and became ‘footy’, low grade laminitis..he’s 20 now and we hack jump and generally have a great life, if I hadn’t medicated back a few years, I don’t hink I’d have him now..

Our Appaloosa mare, who we lost to Cushings in January, was tested last August. Her Cushings test had been consistently low, although rising slightly each time but still less than 45 last August. Then we had the TRH (Stim) test - her reading was over 800! The 'safe' level is below 110. Maybe if we had got a TRH result earlier and put her onto Prascend sooner, it would have been more effective.