Custom saddle questions

coloredred

Visit site
Had a second opinion on my equipe saddle today and fitter thoughts were that it was too tight and was totally the wrong shape for the pony, same as I've been thinking for months! She said it was so tight he could barely move his shoulders, I've felt he was shuffling along in the school for a while. From what she's said he needs he isn't going to be an off the peg fit (deeper rear panels and something with slightly more padding at the front of the panels - I can't remember the correct term) he also needs something that is cut back quite a lot at the shoulder, even the equipe emporio is too forward.

I really like the look of the Sue Carson dressage saddles and comfort saddles seem to do a similar looking one too but I have heard a few bad reviews about both companies plus they are way out of my price range new. Are there companies that will do a made to measure similar design or does anyone know of companies that do a similar design anyway?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Any bench made saddle maker (such as Ideal, Black Country, Frank Baines, AH Saddles who I work for, etc) who hand make saddles in Walsall should be able to find a model that will work for you and put on a deeper rear gusset if necessary. I would advise against fully made to measure unless you really have to (not met anyone yet who really has to) as you have no protection in law if the saddle doesn't work. I used to work for the second company you allude to so if you need any further info....

coloredred

Visit site
Thank you both of you.

Was hoping you'd come along sbloom. I've been looking at a couple of ideals and there is a barnsby I like the look of too so I think I need to decide which one I want to have out. I know ideal are very open to customising their saddles so you get exactly what you want. I do however like the idea of reverse points on the barnsby saddles.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I noticed on their Facebook page that they were selling off demo stock reduced. Had no idea they'd gone bust. Would this put you off buying one of their saddles while they are still around?

As a saddler, no as I can maintain it but for the ordinary joe public you have to consider guarantees if something went wrong and the company wasn't around to sort it out

coloredred

Visit site
As a saddler, no as I can maintain it but for the ordinary joe public you have to consider guarantees if something went wrong and the company wasn't around to sort it out

Very good point. I'm guessing if the tree broke I'd be stuck as barnsby trees are different to other makes?

unicorndreams

Visit site
I had a made to measure saddle from one mentioned here (pm me for more info, if you want) and despite having the person do the measurements themselves rather than me doing them, its still did not fit right - very tight behind the shoulders and my horse was virtually shuffling along. Had person back to investigate, amendments made and saddle returned but it was even worse, rubbing my horse's back raw. Insisted saddle bod returned, who eventually concluded the shape of the saddle was wrong so a new saddle was made. This was no better and further attempts to get it to fit were unsuccessful. All of these return visits by the fitter cost me as did all the postage to get the 'fixed' saddle back to me. It never fitted right and I got rid of it, hugely out of pocket! Avoid a bespoke fitted saddle if at all possible unless you absolutely have trust and faith in the fitter through experience of people you know. Testimonials on a website mean nothing.

coloredred

Visit site
Ok so made to measure seems a no go, I don't want to be stuck with a saddle that doesn't fit and I can't sell on. Barnsby no longer have stock of the saddle I wanted to try from them and if anything goes wrong id be stuck. I've contacted the national saddle centre who will hopefully give me a call back tomorrow as they stock a fair few brands including ideal and hopefully they can take my current saddle in part exchange so I don't have to wait for it to sell.