Cut leg 4 weeks ago still a bump - worry??

Teddybully

Visit site
My horse came in with a cut foreleg (cannon bone) 4 weeks ago. Was swollen but didn't look bad - got vet out and antibiotics/bute. Horse wasn't lame. Brushing boots would have prevented it - annoying!!

It seems to be taking a long time to heal and scab, its sort of jelly like in the middle still yet harder around the edge. There is also a bump around it.

Am I being too impatient and do you think the bump will go down eventually?

I have been using Equiaid for the past 4/5 days but not a lot of difference.

I don't know whether I should just leave it alone or continue hosing/cleaning it which seems to not be giving it a chance to heal?

Or do I get vet out again??

ThePony

Visit site
Assuming it doesn't need stitching, there is no infection or foreign body in there, then I would make sure it is clean and then leave well alone. It won't be able to heal if it is constantly being rubbed, wetted and cleaned. Intrasite or hydrogel are good to keep the wound clean and moist without damaging any new tissue. I would pop that on and then leave it.

Pipkin

Visit site
Yeah dont keep wetting it because it`ll take twice as long to heal, manuka honey works a treat for wounds and keeps them clean.
My mares got a few lumps where she`s had wounds, its just scar tissue according to my vet.

Kenzo

Visit site
agree with glossgirl, I'd leave it be to settle down and dry out, sometimes depending on the location and your horses own natural healing time, some take longer than others, from what you have described, the wound is trying to heal itself.

Teddybully

Visit site
Thank you.

I'll stop washing it.

Would Intrasite keep the flies off it? Can I only get that from the vet?

Do you think the bump will go in time, I guess it can take a while?

NicoleS_007

Visit site
yea agree with glosgirl ... the cut sounds the same as what my horse did last year. It happened last june and only completely scabbed in about dec/jan and has left a scar and a wee lump.

ThePony

Visit site
Intrasite should help with flys as it is a gel which sits on the wound site, so although it isn't a repellant it is still a barrier to the flys having access. If you are concerned about flys then just put the intrasite on the wound, then put a meloin dressing over. You can get both easily and pretty cheaply online, just put it in google.