cut not healing what to do now?

Quartz

Visit site
Last week my horse cut himself, there is a thread on here already. It was healing really well, scabbed over, no heat or swelling, however he has managed to get the scab off and it is yellow now and open again.

I am having a real problem keeping the flies off as well.

What should I do now. There is still no heat from it, it doesn't smell, and its not swollen. But it is yellow but not ozing.

Am I better to use the violet spray to dry it and bandaged it (hard to keep bandage on though). Or the dermagel?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Can you get the yellow fly cream? My filly really gashed herself once, she had some of the cuts stapled up but others were left alone. The Vet gave me some yellow fly cream to put on the cuts before she was tuned out. I put it on again each morning (thickly) and it really stopped the flies bothering her, however it did stain my hands yellow when I forgot my gloves!

summerfly_cream.gif

Izzwizz

Visit site
Can you get the yellow fly cream? My filly really gashed herself once, she had some of the cuts stapled up but others were left alone. The Vet gave me some yellow fly cream to put on the cuts before she was tuned out. I put it on again each morning (thickly) and it really stopped the flies bothering her, however it did stain my hands yellow when I forgot my gloves!

summerfly_cream.gif

Ditto - Ive used this and its very good stuff !

Spring Feather

Visit site
Your description sounds like the wound IS healing :confused: No swelling, no smelly oozing fluid, just healthy clear-yellowish serum. Serum is part of the healing process. You've surely had cuts yourself and know that this is a normal part of healing? When it dries it forms a scab and the scab may come off a few times and the serum will flow again until the wound is finally sealed and healed.

Quartz

Visit site
Your description sounds like the wound IS healing :confused: No swelling, no smelly oozing fluid, just healthy clear-yellowish serum. Serum is part of the healing process. You've surely had cuts yourself and know that this is a normal part of healing? When it dries it forms a scab and the scab may come off a few times and the serum will flow again until the wound is finally sealed and healed.

I wouldn't worry if it was me, but I like to ask to make sure it is the right thing when it comes to my horse. Its our first injury, so I like to check that this is ok.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I wouldn't worry if it was me, but I like to ask to make sure it is the right thing when it comes to my horse. Its our first injury, so I like to check that this is ok.
You're not alone. I know quite a few people who panic when it comes to their horses being injured, yet these people don't bat an eyelid when they have cuts or wounds on themselves :) A quick reminder that skin is skin tends to set their minds at rest. It doesn't matter whose or whats skin it is, it will heal in the same way and your horses wound sounds like it is healing nicely. The summer cream shown above is good for keeping the flies at bay but really any antiseptic wound ointment tends to keep flies away from getting onto the actual wound.

BentleyBelly

Visit site
Sudocrem...my horse had a cut that kept opening up and I kept applying Dermoline. Got fed up after 2 weeks and slapped loads of sudocrem on and the next day it was 100 times better!

Bigginge

Visit site
Sorry I'm going to (possibly) disagree with the others, although I find it hard to tell from your description. You said it was healing with no heat or swelling but now is open and yellow. If the scab has come off and it doesn't scab over again quickly, or the scab keeps coming off it could well be that it is breaking down due to infection. When you say yellow, is it clear 'runny' yellow in which case yes it could be serum from having the scab knocked off but if it is thick or cottage cheesy then this sounds more like infection.

I think I missed whereabouts the cut is? As the position can make a difference to how well it heals.

Yes skin is skin, but horses are out there getting dirty and flied up so they are more prone to getting infection. And the flies are evil at the moment, at least around our way.

It is up to you and as I say it's hard for me at least to tell from your description, but if it were me (and I have done this today in fact) and it's been going on for a while I'd be asking the vet for antibiotics, in my humble experience I've battled with cuts before that look like they're healing and then keep falling apart, tried all sorts of creams, cut n heal, wound gel...and eventually resorted to a few days antibiotics which has sorted them out (and wished that I'd done that sooner). Now they only get one chance to heal themselves then I reach for the phone. Of course, there is a cost attached and so if it's not been that long (a couple of days) that it's not healed then it may just need a bit more time, try some of the creams on here to keep the flies out, just make sure the wound is clean underneath otherwise you'll be trapping in any germs.

Sorry forgot to say, the advice these days is not to dry out cuts and that they are better in a moist environment so I'd go with the dermagel that you have rather than anything drying. Flamazine is also good for healing but again I think you will have to ask your vet for it although I don't think it is a prescription on ly drug so you might not need a call out to get some.

Last edited:

Quartz

Visit site
Have been using the dermagel today, so will see how it is over the weekend. If it is not looking much better by Monday will get a second opinion as to whether its infected.

Thanks everyone, again for all your help!!

TicTac

Visit site
Sudocrem...my horse had a cut that kept opening up and I kept applying Dermoline. Got fed up after 2 weeks and slapped loads of sudocrem on and the next day it was 100 times better!

I would second this, Sudocream is really good for most things, It will protect the wound from the flies and aid healing. I use it on my mare for most things .

I would be very wary of putting anything with fly repellent on the wound as it could make it even worse.

It might help if you could keep your horse induring the day maybe to give it a break from the flies and turn out later with a generous helping of sudocream slapped on.

oscarwild

Visit site
I would personally speak to the vet for advice.

when I'm in doubt about a cut etc I phone my vet and send him a pic over to his phone. He then gives me advice on how best to treat and if he requires to come abd visit or not. I find that the best way as it keeps me sane so I dont have to worry.