Cut or abcess trying to get out?

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
Brought my horse in the other day and he had a slice on his coronet band (fields really wet and boggy) cleaned and put poultice to keep clean. Next morning he was lame in walk and trot was bad so box rest. hot poulticed only a small amount of pus came out so dry poulticed small amount of dry junk. Its not seeming to heal at all but not junk coming out. He is still lame with a reduced amount of heat on the hoove under the cut. Worried the cut was a burst abcess or the junk is just from the cut. Any adive appreciate

jam14

Visit site
I could be wrong of course but in my opinion sounds like abcess has not worked its way out if still some heat and lameness when gunk was coming out. It is the time of the year for it with wet ground a vet told a friend with horse with an abcess.

He advised hot poultice for 3 days (max 5 days so as not to soften sole too much) then dry poultice for 3 days.

Hot tubbing is also good but many horses will not stand in a bucket lol.

maj

Visit site
the coronet band is the weakest point so infection will break out there - usually foot injuries if not found will travel up and break out of the coronet band - it needs more poulticing - the old method was a hessian sack with a hot bran poultice to draw the infection out