Cutting feathers off neat - without clipping. Possible?

cblover

Visit site
My Clyde x cob has some feather but not enough to be traditional and the wet winter has burnt even more off. So basically they look a bit scrappy and a mess.

He's not keen on clippers so is there a way to trim/cut/make neat his legs by removing his feathers with either a technique or gadget? I'm sure they must be but I've always had feathered cobs.....so this is all new to me. Thanks.

blitznbobs

Visit site
It is possible if

1) your horse stands like a rock
2) you have a steady hand

If you use a comb and a pair of scissors -- comb the hair away from the leg and cut across the comb...

cblover

Visit site
Thanks folks. I've got a solo comb but think I might need a thinning comb. Are they all the same or is there a better, heavy duty one to buy?

LynH

Visit site
I always use the scissors vertically so you don't get steps, it's so easy just use a comb and keep both the comb and scissors vertical.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I do the scissor and comb thing too. I've even done clippers and comb sometimes, its a similar effect but easier than snip snipping away! I would never, ever just clip the legs, I can't stand the look (although have never had full on feathers)!

hayinamanger

Visit site
It's a back breaking job, but it is possible to get a neat finish. I chop off the feather first, about an inch from the skin, then use scissors over comb. I find this makes the job easier without loads of feather getting in the way.

I'm another who cannot abide clipped legs.

NU ABO

Visit site
I used to do it with scissors (both standard and thinning) free-hand....
Can't say it ever looked particularly close-up, but it did the job and you couldn't tell how all over the place it was from far away.

I used comb and standard scissors to cut the bulk of hair away, then used the thinning scissors to get rid of any sharp lines.

Ladyinred

Visit site
You used to be able to buy hair trimmers that were basically like a comb with a razor blade atached. They were brilliant for feather trimming but I have an idea elf and safety banned them. Good chemists used to stock them and they were really cheap.

blitznbobs

Visit site
You used to be able to buy hair trimmers that were basically like a comb with a razor blade atached. They were brilliant for feather trimming but I have an idea elf and safety banned them. Good chemists used to stock them and they were really cheap.

You can still buy them (69p on ebay from china ) a bit more in boots...

cblover

Visit site
Just had another look at him and the hair start from about knee height. Do I just cut it the same way as the feathers?

honetpot

Visit site
If they are really thick and start from the knee If lift up small sections and pull them up right angles to the leg then with the scissors cut upwards so when the hair falls down you don't have a straight line, you can also do this with clippers and feather the hair and grade it in as it goes down the leg. Further down the leg if you are using a normal fine comb I also cut upwards and not across, this helps stop getting a line.

cblover

Visit site
Oh hell....I hope my attempt doesn't end up looking like a rescue case. Lol. There is every chance tho!

hoggedmane

Visit site
I have done this with a pair of curved scissors - I always cut downwards so the hair is feathered. If I cut across I always get steps.

cblover

Visit site
I got all brave the started to clip one of his front feathers off, which kinda went ok and I did a bit of clicker training with him to get him used to it. I then did the next front one and decided he didn't look right with them off, so I'm left with a horse who looks a bit odd. Lol. When I did it, I cut as much as a could with the scissors and then used cordless clippers.....but I wasn't too impressed with my efforts. Didn't look very neat.

Hairy Horror

Visit site
Thank you for your reply, I was kinda hoping that you would say it was easy and they looked great, lol. I can not use clippers on his legs he goes bonkers. His feathers are all untidy due to winter burn and wearing overreach boots when in the field, he looks scruffy.

Murphy888

Visit site
You can get a really neat result with comb and scissors but does take some time depending on how fast you are but you'll soon get the hang of it, chop off the excess hair first!

Hairy Horror

Visit site
Thank you all for your excellent advice, my husband is a barber and last night after work he spent two hours doing his legs for me, we need to do a bit more then keep it up. The horse looks very neat and tidy Iam thrilled. Hog next. Thanks again.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My Clyde x cob has some feather but not enough to be traditional and the wet winter has burnt even more off. So basically they look a bit scrappy and a mess.

He's not keen on clippers so is there a way to trim/cut/make neat his legs by removing his feathers with either a technique or gadget? I'm sure they must be but I've always had feathered cobs.....so this is all new to me. Thanks.

Have to laugh at this, ( not at OP) at to do it all the time in training. Yes it is possible, in the 1970's when doing my BHS exam we had to trim feathers with sharp scissors and comb, like hair dressers do comb hair and cut down to comb. We had to perfect it and got marks for it, till it was so perfect and neat it looked like being clipped.

Here >>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOEOWlcDbcU