Cutting Hay near Sycamore Trees

JoannaC

Visit site
Can't find anything on this but does anyone know if the seeds could still be poisonous when the time comes to cut hay? The trees aren't actually in the hay fields but are near enough to blow across. These fields are always used for hay and never a problem previously but yard aren't sure due to it being a particularly bad year for AM. The yard where the trees are did lose a horse recently to AM hence why the worry for the hay fields. Doesn't seem to be any info anywhere and vet doesn't know nor the people who do the cutting.

Shay

Visit site
The seeds remain toxic year round - as do seedlings which might be caught in hay. The BHS have a good leaflet on it here http://www.bhs.org.uk/~/media/BHS/Files/PDF Documents/Atypical Myopathy.ashx but you can get hold of the original research on line as well. My understanding is that AM only appears seasonal as those are the time of year when horses are statistically more likely to consume seeds or other parts of the tree. Not because the poison is itself seasonal in any way.
Were this my choice - I'd avoid hay under those circumstances if I could. If not, shake each and every last bit looking for seeds or seedlings which might fall out. If I'd had hay delivered and found sycamore seeds in it I would reject the bale - just as I would if I found dried ragwort.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
We are in the same situation.
The trees were next to the hay fields but have now all been cut down.
The hay field was sprayed with graze on and we have weeded by hand.
Hopefully this has sorted it.