Cutting rubber mats to size

Wheels

Visit site
Anyone have any tips on the best way to cut rubber mats to size - what tools work the best? I have a 5-6" sliver to do all across one wall

rowan

Visit site
Get a straight piece of wood the width of the matting and use it as a ruler cut across the mat with a sharp Stanley knife, it won't cut right through the rubber but will make a line to follow. Put a length of wood under the mat in line with the cut on top of the mat you should be able to bend the cut slightly over the wood which will give you a line to follow might take a few cuts along the matting to get right through depends how thick your matting is. Hope that makes sense bit of a job to explain.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Very sharp Stanley knife. If the mats have grooves on the underside and one of them coincides with the amount you need to cut off it’s so much easier. I bend the mat and score along the groove, the tension in the bent rubber helps to keep the knife moving easily. I have yet to find a stable wall that’s straight though ?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Rowan has the best way of cutting mats, though a straight piece of steel is better to use as a straight edge to cut along. Always use a razor sharp blade & take your time. When you've done your first cut do as Rowan said put a piece of wood under one side of the cut line. This will open your cut up and you will be able to run your knife sown the cut several times and you will cut it through. Be extremely careful with the Stanley knife they are very sharp & it's easy to cut your hand, finger etc. Good Luck.

Wheels

Visit site
Very sharp Stanley knife. If the mats have grooves on the underside and one of them coincides with the amount you need to cut off it’s so much easier. I bend the mat and score along the groove, the tension in the bent rubber helps to keep the knife moving easily. I have yet to find a stable wall that’s straight though ?

Yeah, we are not blessed with straight walls lol

paddy555

Visit site
we've used a stanley knife and also a jig saw and a reciprocating saw. The reciprocating saw worked well if you happen to have one.

Carrottom

Visit site
We had a builder doing some work on the house when we were fitting ours and he came out with a powerful jig saw which made very light work of it.