Cutting Rubber Mats

WelshD

Visit site
Has anyone cut the heavy traditional type of rubber matting, if so how what did you use and how easy was it please?

agmp

Visit site
right faff but did it with standard stanley knife. drew on it with chalk and took a lot of cutting. but fit well around a girder at the front of one of my stables and meant no curled up edges to catch hooves on. i'm sure there is someone with a better method!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Get someone to hold it up, use Stanley knife, not easy, but does the job really well. I followed the grooves of the mat which made it easier.

popsdosh

Visit site
right faff but did it with standard stanley knife. drew on it with chalk and took a lot of cutting. but fit well around a girder at the front of one of my stables and meant no curled up edges to catch hooves on. i'm sure there is someone with a better method!

Stanley knife with new blade. plus every so often lubricate the blade with neat washing up liquid.

agmp

Visit site
forgot to add this, trying to cut on the thicker part of the mat (i.e. not in the groove) was the worst so following the grooves definitely the easier option.

thanks for tip about neat washing up liquid, will bare this in mind.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Be very careful if you are cutting angles out of rubber matting with a Stanley knife. I cut right through the end part of my finger many years ago when I was holding the mat up so please make sure you keep the mat on the ground when cutting and keep your other fingers well away from it. My finger was put back together but it took about 13 years for the feeling to come back.

SpottyMare

Visit site
I used a jigsaw with the mat held off the ground by a pallet as I couldn't be bothered with faffing about with a stanley knife. Easy peasy :)

my bfg

Visit site
Stanley knife and two lengths of wood, one on top of the mat as a straight line to cut against and one to put under the mat to create a hollow under where its being cut, much easier x

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
My OH has threatened to leave me if we have to move our mats again!...we lie mat over the edge of a pallet so the weight opens the cut part..use Stanley knife to follow a measured and chalk marked line..generally involves much huffing and puffing and me getting muttered at.

Auslander

Visit site
Easiest way is to score it with a Stanley knife, then bend it so that it splits almost all the way through, then run the stanley knife down it again to finish off. Much much easier than trying to cut all the way through. I cut mats on grass so that I don't blunt the blade by cutting through to concrete.

Princess Rosie

Visit site
Easiest way is to score it with a Stanley knife, then bend it so that it splits almost all the way through, then run the stanley knife down it again to finish off. Much much easier than trying to cut all the way through. I cut mats on grass so that I don't blunt the blade by cutting through to concrete.

This is the absolute easiest way to cut mats, hubby cuts ours this way too and much easier!