Cutting Super Thick Tails?

JessPickle

Visit site
Pickle's Tail is HUGE! so thick and has got ridiculously long. I have tried so many different scissors including heavy duty ones and have blunted them all! don't have access to clippers to do his tail.

So any ideas how I could get his tail at a reasonable length? Right now I am am so fustrated by the ugly muddy tail I may resort to hedge trimmers :p

fayeg1

Visit site
Had the same problem with my old pony..it used to hang in muddy dreadlocks and swish between her legs when she walked *shudder*.
The only way I got through hers was to wash it and condition it REALLY well and then using good scissors do it in sections if you get me and then tidy it up at the end.
The best answer though is to buy a mane and tail thinning rake and thin it out a bit so it's easier to manage.

GREYSMEADOW

Visit site
I think my boy has the biggest and longest tail in Sussex! I brought him with a lovely tail.
I really hate seeing very short tails (above their hocks) on big horses. I don't have a trimming problem but have you tried some heavy duty scissors. Tails are usually easier to trim when they have been washed. The detangle conditioner spray helps too.

Last edited:

Witchy

Visit site
I second the rake! Joe has a hideously massive, large, stonking, afro, mad and insane tail but with the rake I get to tidy and shape it really well.

I rake it from the side first to thin it down and then start raking half way down at the back to thin it out there, seems to work well for me

Janette

Visit site
Star has an enormous tail and when it needed cutting straight across, I used the clippers. Get the end of the tail in as tight a bunch as possible, then just cut straight across.
A tail rake is good for taking the bulk out as well.

spookypony

Visit site
Depends on what you consider a reasonable length! :D It's easier to cut closer to the ground, obviously.

First time brushing the pony's tail took 45 mins. It was hanging in dreadlocks and got wrapped around his legs, actually tripping him! :eek:

I use ordinary household scissors to keep it trimmed to his fetlocks, and make sure I brush it out with spray-on conditioner about once a week. That keeps the dreadlocks from recurring. :)

JessPickle

Visit site
hmm think this is where I am going wrong! I let it go wild :p think tomorrow will go up yard extra early armed with brush and cowboy magic! perhaps washing it may be an idea.

Last edited:

spookypony

Visit site
The tail in question :) :

picture.php

MochaDun

Visit site
I love my pony's thick, heavy and beautiful tail, possibly his best feature - it's grey, black, brown, red and has the most amazing snow chute at the top in the winter. I cut it with scissors but it doesn't cut easily due to the thickness so involves lots of tweaking afterwards to get it all level :D. I use Canter Mane & Tail shine which really helps keep the hairs from getting too clogged up with mud and knotty. He has a couple of permanent dreadlocks even when his tail is spotlessly clean and I love those too!

Jane_Lou

Visit site
I "cut" my friends cobs tree trunk tail with the clippers! She holds the end up tightly and I clip off the excess length, it is really easy and works wonders! She had struggled with scissors for years but it always looked hacked, with clippers you get a decent finish and it takes no time.

KVH

Visit site
Glad it's not just me that has this problem, lol!
I have a huge, heavy duty pair of scissors which, at last attempt of cutting tail, I just cut the end off in small sections (SO difficult and hands raw from scissors after) and neatened after. Took me over half an hour to complete the process! :rolleyes:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
cowboy magic conditioner is amazing :)

I would def ask around to see if someone will clipper it off for you, it is sooo much easier than scissors :D