Cyclist'a lack of manners

Nudibranch

Visit site
I wouldnt expect a single cyclist to wave thanks, or a pair, but the groups Pedantic refers to do take the p*** big time. They take up the whole width of the road, make no attempt to move over even to two abreast, and keep that up ad infinitum. Total arrogance. I've blasted them with the horn a few times but I'm sure they couldnt give a stuff. Imagine if we went out in mass gangs, riding three or four abreast and blocking traffic everywhere we went?
Oh yes, that'd be the local hunt (cantering in a row up the wrong side on blind hills on the A68 for example - major road for accidents) but I suppose at least they're only out once in a blue moon. These cyclist gangs seem to be everywhere.

rotters13

Visit site
Just my quick two pence as a cyclist: when you are signalling for a turn or similar you will sit up more which allows you to remove some the weight which is on the handlebars. This allows you to signal.

When you're going in a straight line you will have more weight on the handlebars. Raising your hand every time affects your balance and the positioning of the bike. You are simply not in the same amount of control. You are also travelling faster so if, say, a pothole does come up unexpectedly you do need to be able to avoid it easily which you can do with 2.

I also ride - I can assure you it's easier to ride one handed than cycle one handed (although both are possible).

Overread

www.flickr.com
The other thought that comes to my mind is that whenever I tend to get drivers waving back or even horse riders its when things have slowed down from the normal. When at least one party has made a significant reduction in speed or has even stopped. As a result there is less going on at once and more time to put in a hand wave or nod.

Most of the time I encounter cyclists I might slow down in the car, but they are not. They are still going at whatever speed they were before I (the car) am there, during the manoeuvre and after. At no point do they have a period of reduced speed (typically) where they would have the potential for greater control over their bike to thus allow for a wave.

I suspect the same would be true of horse riders if you were galloping down roads, however in general most horses I see on the road are going at a slower pace - the only once I've seen going faster are those carting (which I have to say is generally pretty rare excepting when there's a fair in the area)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I spend my life here going down hill (breaking) or up hill (trying very hard!). For definitely the former and preferably the latter I need to keep my hands on the handlebars and the brakes :p.
Most drivers go passed me far too fast for them to spot a head nod although if someone has clearly waited (particularly on the one set of traffic lights I do and they haven't tried to cut round me) I will raise the fingers of a hand while leaving it on the handlebars as said person is usually also going slow enough to notice. When I am on the horse people slow, so are able to see a thanks.
For the most part though I work on the assumption that the driver knows that I am thankful that they haven't run me over and that it isn't my fault that the road is single track with the longest blind bends known to man- not that that stops some of them. I don't wave people on, I do tell them to stop if I have heard something and they intend on blindly carrying on.

It is definitely easier to ride Frank one handed at any speed than my bike!, he is also a lot more footsure/better at potholes.

If you know that you are going to turn then you ride appropriately to be able to signal. It would be an absolute nightmare to do that every time a car came passed (plus I don't turn mid hill :p) and take me twice as long to get home.

Sometimes I do think people just don't get the logistics and safety aspects of what they are asking others to do, when sometimes it is all I can do to keep going let alone nod :p when it is infinitely easier for them to get going again if they have to wait given the combustion engine they have at their feet :p.

fburton

Visit site
Am I right in thinking that cyclists are nowadays advised to "take up the width" of the road if it isn't wide enough to allow safe passing of vehicles? I can see how that could be annoying for motorists behind, but I appreciate the safety rationale for it too.

Of course, if a whole bunch of cyclists dominate the road Tour-de-France-style that is an entirely different matter. :mad3:

Evie91

Visit site
My grumble is that, in my experience, cyclists I have encountered never, ever pull over to let other road users past. I live in the countryside, lots of windy lanes/roads and when you get stuck behind a cyclist is can take a while for a safe place to come up to overtake.
When riding on the roads I would always get the horse to step on to the verge, trot to then next safe place,pull in to a gate way or passing place and stop and give a wave to traffic to thank them as they passed (obviously if safe to do so). Yes, it could be frustrating if it was a busy day (tbf I'd always avoid rush hour on the roads - seems silly not to) but as I don't own the road and also want to avoid someone overtaking dangerously because they are frustrated at being stuck behind a slow moving horse on a country lane.
I'll even do this in the car - if I'm driving slowly (and don't know where I'm going or want to take in the scenery!) sometimes if safe, I'll pull over and let others pass.
Tractors do this too.
Guess I'm another who is increasingly frustrated by the increase of cyclists on the road and the lack of courtesy to other road users!
Also near me they insist on using the bridle ways and footpaths - breaking down fences to allow access for the bikes!

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
You're specifically taught not to take your hands off the handlebars on either a bike or a motorcycle because if you hit a bump or pothole in the road at that moment you'll wobble right into traffic with only one hand for steering.

There's other ways of showing consideration and politeness though and I agree with everyone else who says that a lot of cyclists just don't bother showing common courtesy to any other road users, like when they go bombing past three abreast around a blind curve. I think that's something more general in society than just cyclists though - people are getting very bad at showing courtesy to others, it's all 'Me Me Me'.

ester

Visit site
Well they are allowed on the bridleways.
Whether I pull over depends on whether I am going uphill or not and whether loss of momentum is a problem/number of pot holes in the pull in. I have a hybrid so it as at least able to cope with the odd hole. I do think those with road bikes end up in the middle because at times it is the only smooth bit!

meandmyconnie

Visit site
To be fair I'd rather a cyclist kept both hands on the handlebars than raise a hand to wave - esp since I might start to think that its a signal for them turning. The only time I'd see them wave is as I come alongside to pass so that is the last time I want them to suddenly raise a handsignal as I'm going to think "DARN They are going to turn and somehow haven't seen me!"

I'd also sympathise with many as, whilst horse riding is not an activity without exercise, cycling down the road seems to be to be more tiring unless they are really going along casually - so again I'd rather they kept themselves focused on what they are doing.

Heck what really annoys me is if they start trying to help and wave me round when I can't see round the road myself.

Although what annoys me more is cyclists who refused to use the cycle lane - its there for a reason and makes everything safer for both them and me and everyone else.

Hi. I understand where your coming from. However, a horse has a mind of your own, a person controls a bike. I'd rather keep both hands on the reins and let cyclists do all the waving and saying thanks. x

Tapir

Visit site
Expecting cyclists to only use cycle paths is like expecting horse riders to only use bridleways! There sure as hell ain't any cycle paths where I live! And bridleways are few and far between too. As for wearing Lycra - what's your beef lol?!

I'm pretty sure the poster meant cyclists choosing to use the road when there is a cycle path right next to them, not that they should only be on the cycle paths. This happens lots where I live The council spends money on cycle paths either on the pavement or on the edge of the road and the cyclists ignore them & just use the main carriageway.

pansymouse

Visit site
I've long accepted that particularly club cyclists are arrogant entitled a***holes but what I can't accept is the continued refusal of the majority to wear high viability clothing. To my mind it takes a special kind of stupid for a vulnerable road user to wear head to toe black.

I ride my horse on the road in extensive hi vis and nod thanks to considerate drivers; it's behaviour I would expect from other horse and bike riders (but don't always get as a driver).

Damnation

Visit site
Cyclists set off my road rage :eek:

I get SO ANGRY when they just cycle along, 2 or 3 a-breast. I can't get past, they have NO HI VIS on, they don't thank you and they won't move in. That is when I roll my window down and yell.

I had one guy who didn't realise I was behind him, this is on a narrow country road, cycling 2 a breast and wouldn't move in. FOR TWO BL**DY MILES!!!!!! He was then shocked when I beeped my horn and I was apparently in the wrong?

Cyclists by law should not be allowed to wear earphones, must wear Hi Vis and BE INSURED.

I knew one lady who was driving along, she approached the bridge near my house and its a hump backed bridge on an uphill so there is a blind bit if you are going "Up" the bridge. There were two cyclists coming down the hill, if they had looked up they would have seen her but she couldn't see them because of the angle of the bridge. It was dusk, and they had no hi vis on, not to mention the tree cover over the bridge. Lady set off to go over the bridge, on her side of the road, only doing about 10 mph. Cyclists in complete disregard came flying down the hill in the middle of the road. One hit the railings of the bridge, the other ended up on her car. He was OK only because she had been going so slowly. He also did some significant damage to her car. He wasn't insured. She had to foot the bill.

Luci07

Visit site
It's bizarre. When I was on Ranmore in Surrey, I frequently had unpleasant run in's with idiotic cyclists. Now I am in Charlwood and the cyclists are courteous, say hello when they pass us hacking and move over!

Damnation

Visit site
Just like to add, I have no problems with cyclists who even just move over! I don't expect you to ride up a hedge, but not in the middle of the road so that I can get past would be grand.

I don't even expect them to say thank you, but a Hi Vis tabbard and moving over would be nice ;)

Hanno Verian

Visit site
I ride, I drive, I cycle - I would like to think I'm equally courteous whatever I'm doing, I certainly mouth "Thank you" to other road users when they show consideration. You cant often wave, if youre "pushing it" or on a hill then taking a hand off the handlebars is the last thing I'm going to do. Equally I won't often signal for a left turn, unless its going to put me or someone else at risk to not do so... Bikes move a LOT faster than the highway code was designed for, I'd rather complete the manoeuvre swiftly and safely than take a hand of the handlebars, obviously I signal my intention to turn right whenever there is other traffic near enough to effect or be effected by my turn.

Whilst cyclists can be ar*** it drives me mad when I see riders not thanking drivers for their consideration.... I always (horse permitting !!) smile and thank them.

ester

Visit site
Oh and Frank is definitely less blown over by the wind than my bike as well as less affected by pot holes :p.

Personally I think all highway users (so that includes the invisible walkers where no pavement and their invisible dogs :p) should have to wear a certain amount of hi vis by law. And I think cyclists that wear headphones are nuts!

Jenna1406

Visit site
We have problems with cyclists on the single track road that we take to get to and from the yard and we find that cyclists will see you coming and keep going passed the passing place and then girn at you because you are in their way.

We had one waving us passed on a single track road when he wouldnt pull into a passing place to let us passed when we had the horse box on the back. Think he was expecting us to do a bit of off roading.

I dont mind cyclists if they respect that us riders or cars are on the road also. Im not bothered if they wave as we pull into a passing place as I always wave if they make room for us.

9tails

Visit site
I'd still like to keep motorists onside by being pleasant so that they don't feel it necessary to threaten me or my horse. Cyclists have no such worries, their bikes aren't suddenly going to whip round or jump in fright if they toot the horn or rev their engine.

Tarte Au Citron

Visit site
Run into quite a few cyclists round me and the majority of the time they are OK, sometimes even say thanks (dont expect them to when i overtake at anything more than a crawl mind). When I'm on the horse a lot will even shout morning back at me which is nice :)

But theres always a few that ruin it! Once going down a fairly wide road they were going 4/5 abreast!! The road would easily have allowed them to ride two abreast but they had to take the pee....which caused a huge tailback -_-

Then yesterday just as i was at a junction, the light changed to green and as i moved forward and started to turn right some arrogant twits came whizzing from my left which would have been on a red light! Absolutely made me fume! They couldnt even abide by the most simplest part of the highway code which is when theres a red light you blinking stop! Mind boggling!

MissMistletoe

Visit site
I drive drown a single track road twice daily, and weekends the lycra clad crew are out in force. In all the occasions that I have spotted them coming towards me where I have flashed them to let them know that I have pulled over and waited to let them continue past, I have NEVER ever had any eye contact/nod/smile/mouthing: "thankyou" from any of them.
Shame on them!!!

I will never forget, I was running late for a show and had to drive down said single track road after forgetting my handbag. I met a group of at least 20 lycra clad crew who were being so rude and not letting me past despite there being passing spots and why oh why couldn't they go two abreast/single file? In the end, I was forced to drive half on the verge (with plenty of room between my car and them I must add), only to have them catch me up at a busy cross-roads and shout foul language at me, one of them had a drinks bottle in his hand and rapped the top of my car with it. It was scary and I felt quite worried. I remember quickly locking my car in case they opened it and did something to me!
I learnt about Roid Rage at University- I wonder if this is what is being presented here!.

fburton

Visit site
I drive drown a single track road twice daily, and weekends the lycra clad crew are out in force. In all the occasions that I have spotted them coming towards me where I have flashed them to let them know that I have pulled over and waited to let them continue past, I have NEVER ever had any eye contact/nod/smile/mouthing: "thankyou" from any of them.
Shame on them!!!
Ah, so they are the cycling equivalents of BMW/Mercedes/Audi drivers!?

Damnation

Visit site
Shame on them!!!

I will never forget, I was running late for a show and had to drive down said single track road after forgetting my handbag. I met a group of at least 20 lycra clad crew who were being so rude and not letting me past despite there being passing spots and why oh why couldn't they go two abreast/single file? In the end, I was forced to drive half on the verge (with plenty of room between my car and them I must add), only to have them catch me up at a busy cross-roads and shout foul language at me, one of them had a drinks bottle in his hand and rapped the top of my car with it. It was scary and I felt quite worried. I remember quickly locking my car in case they opened it and did something to me!
I learnt about Roid Rage at University- I wonder if this is what is being presented here!.

That is awful :eek: And I bet if they had caused any damage they wouldn't have been insured.

I'm afraid I would have wound down my window and let rip! (As I have at other motorists!) Or called the police, as I am sure they arne't actually allowed to ride to the point of blocking the road? (Someone correct me if I am wrong??)

As I said, I have absolutely no problem with cyclists who do wear hi vis and keep over to let people past. I live up in Hadrians Wall country and I have to say that the tourists who cycle past my yard always yell "hello" especially when you have a horse as they know that someone coming out of nowhere will spook the horse and they could get injured as a result. The local cyclists have an air of entitlement about them that just does my nut in.

They are the ones in the dangerous position who are exposed and reliant on other road users to pass them safely, for their own safety. Why make other road users angry?

Also, a nod of thanks doesn't go a miss ;)

Darbs

Visit site
Into the lions den I go! (You will hopefully admire my bravery before I am torn limb from limb)

I am Chairman and General Secretary of a large cycle racing club. (I am on this forum because my daughter rides horses, so I see both sides of this issue).

I completely agree with you about the way some cyclists approach horses, it is completely unacceptable. As with most walks of life, it is the minority that spoil it for the majority, but that is not an excuse. We must all keep the pressure on cyclists to make sure they recognise that fast, close, silent overtakes can cause a big problem for horse riders. Every time I pass a horse I always slow right down, say 'hi' to the rider and joke that I am not going to argue as the horse is bigger than me! I have ridden bikes since I was 3 and had Racing Licence for the past 26 years, so I have passed a lot of horses!

I (and my regular training group) always slow down, shout a long way back so that the horse and rider know we are there, then we pass slowly and as wide as safely possible, ideally against the opposite verge. Our club is probably one of the few to have a documented risk assessment and procedure for passing horses while we are on social or training rides, that is available to all of our members. I would hope that helps show how much I recognise this issue.

Our regular group rode yesterday from Pershore area, down to Winchcombe, up through Broadway, Bidford, and Inkberrow. As it was a nice day, we passed many horses on that route, and in every case we slowed down, made our presence known and passed as wide as we could. In every encounter we acknowledged the horse riders and they cheerfully acknowledged us back. In one case on a fast B road there were 3 young girls riding ponies in the opposite direction, we passed them and very shortly after while rounding a bend saw a car driving extremely fast towards the direction of the girls riding the ponies. I moved to the centre of the road and gestured to the driver to slow down, as he would have been about to meet the ponies mid-bend. Those girls will never have know that one of those (to quote pansymouse) "club cyclists who are arrogant entitled a***holes" had done their best to prevent 3 young riders being ploughed into by a speeding motorist.

Not all cyclist are the same, and just as with horse riders, there are some who give the rest a bad name. I have a friend who rescued a horse who was very badly treated, but does that mean every horse owner is like that, no of course not. You don't notice 99% of cyclists on your travels as they are not causing an issue, you recall the bad ones, and I accept that both groups must do all they can to educate the pillocks.

Maybe if a couple of cyclists doing a fast, silent, close pass got a kick from a young horse it would highlight the issue, they certainly wouldn't get any sympathy from me.

pansymouse

Visit site
Darbs - I am desperate to be wrong and it's hugely encouraging that there are people like you in positions of responsibility in the cycling world.

I am also painfully aware that there are horse riders who inconsiderate road users and don't wear the appropriate clothing to make themselves seen. Just yesterday my friend and I were out riding and had to thank a car that slowed down for two young girls in dark clothes on dark ponies in the opposite direction who hadn't bothered.

Stockers

Visit site
I am not a cyclist nor am I married to one but I ahve to say the cyclists in my neck of the woods are on the whole very, very good.

I live and ride around South Hanningifeld reservoir which is very popular with cyclists and quote a few cycling events are held there each year. My horse is now bike-proof - unsurprisingly.

We get lone cyclists or big clumps of them. In the last year I have not (touch wood) experienced a single negative encounter with a cyclist. those that come from behind tend to call out 'morning' or 'hello'. those coming from the opposite direction - particualry if in a big group call back to their chums 'horse'.

I always, always thank them or, if the occasional cyclist isn;t that chatty I'll call out a cheery 'good morning'. I dropped my stick once and as my horse can be abit of a wally to mount from odd objects, a resting cyclist offered to pick it up for me.

I have, unfortunately had a handful of near misses with cars on the very short distance we need to get onto the by-way.

The most ignorant road users I've come across have, unfortunately been other riders. Either they are not wearing hi-viz, have no hat, are on the phone, do not signal properly or don;t even acknowledge me if I slow down (if it's perfectly obvious they would have been able to - I don't include those who may be having difficulties with their mount.

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
Cyclists set off my road rage :eek:

I get SO ANGRY when they just cycle along, 2 or 3 a-breast. I can't get past, they have NO HI VIS on, they don't thank you and they won't move in. That is when I roll my window down and yell.

This is dreadful behaviour. How dare you harass another road user like this. I'm sure its probably also a criminal offence

Damnation

Visit site
This is dreadful behaviour. How dare you harass another road user like this. I'm sure its probably also a criminal offence

So riding two to three abreast on country roads, with no Hi Vis, not letting me get past, no lights etc is acceptable? I do not harass or insult or even threaten. I simply point out that a) I can barely see them and b) they should not be riding two abreast, especially when they know I am behind them trying to manover past and would be able to do so if they were in single file.

I am actually quite a patient driver ;) As I said earlier, I have no problem with anyone who uses roads correctly, if I can't get past a cyclist riding single file, then fine, I wait patiently.