Cyclists, a question

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I don't mind the solo cyclists - its the large groups that take up the entire side so you can't overtake I don't understand. I don't mind the not lifting a hand - I do get why. But its the blocking up the whole road which aggravates me. Horse riders are taught to ride single file (unless protecting a vulnerable horse or ride and lead) and leave a car's length between sets of 3 so cars can pass simply and safely. Why don't cyclists do the same? Safer for all surely?
Just today I went round a bend on a country road, not going fast, and had to brake because a group of 3 cyclists were three abreast with at least one of them on the wrong side of the road. They were old enough to know better too.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
OldTrout (love that user name btw) You're quite near me I think, North Bucks. If your roads are like the ones near our yard they are lucky theyre not squished!! I just dont get how some of these speedy cyclists think theyre invincible, one of the local cycling clubs do time trials near us on a weekday evening. the reason they use the route they do is because it is pretty much a circle with all left hand bends, according to the man at the club who I complained to its easier for them to keep going and judge entering the traffic going left than having to cross a t junction. That may well be perfectly true but doesnt mean they should ride like idiots!!

Brownmare

Visit site
That is a very good point MyBoyChe, why is it that cyclists never seem to moderate their speed to their stopping distance? As a car driver in narrow lanes I only ever go at a speed where I could stop within the distance I can see but several times now I have had cyclists come shooting round corners on my side of the road and nearly hit me (the one I met while driving the telehandler with muck grab on the front went awfully white!). I appreciate that natural selection will sort this problem out eventually but I'd rather not have to scrape splatted cyclist off the front of my vehicle in the meantime....

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
OldTrout (love that user name btw) You're quite near me I think, North Bucks. If your roads are like the ones near our yard they are lucky theyre not squished!! I just dont get how some of these speedy cyclists think theyre invincible, one of the local cycling clubs do time trials near us on a weekday evening. the reason they use the route they do is because it is pretty much a circle with all left hand bends, according to the man at the club who I complained to its easier for them to keep going and judge entering the traffic going left than having to cross a t junction. That may well be perfectly true but doesnt mean they should ride like idiots!!
Are those the cyclists that go up and down the dual carriageway A5 once a week in the summer?
The ones I saw were actually over the border in Northants. I was using the back roads to get to Silverstone avoiding traffic and for some reason you get a lot of cyclists (and sometimes runners) on those roads. (It isn't always the cyclists that are stupid, I had to stop quickly on one of those roads last year because of a car overtaking a cyclist on a blind bend :-( )

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Agree with Ester on rubbish brakes I've had them fail going down our lane the sudden prayers must have frightened God.

obv we have to go find hills here, the main one - which is used by masses of cyclists at the weekends going up and down has a stone wall at the bottom..... but my first experience it had roadworks/traffic lights halfway down at which point I realised my brakes would slow me down but stopping was an entirely different ball game! I can certainly see why more are putting disc brakes on road bikes.

As such if the gradient is sufficient I don't really have a stopping distance at all even though I am one of the more cautious riders (though being fatter means I go quicker downhill than most) and do like to think I could stop within the visible distance mechcanically it's not always possible.

Brownmare

Visit site
obv we have to go find hills here, the main one - which is used by masses of cyclists at the weekends going up and down has a stone wall at the bottom..... but my first experience it had roadworks/traffic lights halfway down at which point I realised my brakes would slow me down but stopping was an entirely different ball game! I can certainly see why more are putting disc brakes on road bikes.

As such if the gradient is sufficient I don't really have a stopping distance at all even though I am one of the more cautious riders (though being fatter means I go quicker downhill than most) and do like to think I could stop within the visible distance mechcanically it's not always possible.
That seems madness! Why do cyclists put up with being sold substandard bikes?! I wouldn't buy a car I couldn't stop (or a horse for that matter lol), and if disc brakes are the ones that work, why aren't bikes sold with them as standard? Not trying to be arsey here, just utterly puzzled as to how this situation seems to be acceptable to cyclists who are at risk of death or serious injury if unable to stop safely 🙂

RaposadeGengibre

Visit site
When I'm out running, a single cyclist (lycra or not) is usually a friendly guy, smiling, waving if possible or nodding, acknowledging that we both do activity.
2+ are effing basterwards and there will be a day when one of them get my water bottle shoved at him. I have enough of old geezers driving as close as possible to me on straight empty road, I don't need a 2wheeld twat to do it.

On the other side, I usually drive along a single track with passing places. When I see a bike, I pull to the nearest one letting him get passed comfortably for both of us instead of trying to squeeze - I won't cry over lost 40 sec of my journey. And, to be fair, 95+% of the time they had incredible face expression. But again, they are single guys.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Old Trout, no, they do a circle including Hanslope, Haversham and Gayhurst so a bit more rural than the A5, all B roads but busy nonetheless and really not ideal for a speeding cyclist!!

ester

Visit site
That seems madness! Why do cyclists put up with being sold substandard bikes?! I wouldn't buy a car I couldn't stop (or a horse for that matter lol), and if disc brakes are the ones that work, why aren't bikes sold with them as standard? Not trying to be arsey here, just utterly puzzled as to how this situation seems to be acceptable to cyclists who are at risk of death or serious injury if unable to stop safely 🙂

Probably because it's a lot more complicated than I suggested but I thought it was an interesting addition to the thread, there are massive forum discussion about it lol.
I also need more practice as I've only had the roadie a few months- as to how much it will slow you and when a foot needs to go down as assistance - generally really not an issue round here so I don't get much practice then either.
Disc brakes certainly have their own issues too- 'total brake failure' is not really a phrase you want to hear about for your brakes.

little_critter

Visit site
I think the main difference between horses and bikes is bikes don’t randomly spook at stuff. So all cyclists are asking for is that you overtake in a safe manner (which you should do to all road users, do you expect a thank you from a milk float driver because you overtook in a safe manner?)
Horse riders ask for the additional courtesy of passing slowly / as quietly as possible which is what I believe the thanks are for.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site

unless my OH is pulling a fast one (much like myself with saddles lol) then its pretty standard when you buy a new bike to immediately change the brakes and rims (amongst other stuff I can't remember) as thats where companies save money. I am assured that this happens even on really expensive bikes such as his last one.

Teajack

Visit site
Re time trials, unless there is permission for an organised event isn't racing on a public road illegal?

littleshetland

Visit site
There seems to be a lot of cyclists on this thread, so I'll keep my opinions of them to myself...but I do have one question for all you keen cyclists out there...the area I live in is AONB and all day, every day in the summer there are literally hundreds of them puffing and panting their way up the hills round here , all in the name of pleasure and fitness I suppose - but they are breathing in lungfuls and lungfuls of highly toxic car fumes as the cars pass them just a couple of feet away, literally gulping down litres of carbon dioxide.......why?

little_critter

Visit site
There seems to be a lot of cyclists on this thread, so I'll keep my opinions of them to myself...but I do have one question for all you keen cyclists out there...the area I live in is AONB and all day, every day in the summer there are literally hundreds of them puffing and panting their way up the hills round here , all in the name of pleasure and fitness I suppose - but they are breathing in lungfuls and lungfuls of highly toxic car fumes as the cars pass them just a couple of feet away, literally gulping down litres of carbon dioxide.......why?
Err, because there’s nowhere else to go? When did you last see a nice 50 mile tarmaced cycle path in the countryside?

little_critter

Visit site
Re time trials, unless there is permission for an organised event isn't racing on a public road illegal?
Time trials don’t class as racing. They set off individually and are not racing each other, they are individually trying to get the best time.
I know, it’s very close to racing. Don’t shoot the messenger.
We have a regular time trial session on the bypass near us. To be honest they very rarely cause me any issue at all, and I often meet them when driving home from the yard.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I hedge my bets re my brakes. I have a disc brake behind and a rim brake in front. Mine is more of a touring bike set up though, so is designed to be able to comfortably handle hefty loads.

ester’s bike is a more proper roadie (ie speedie) bike, I think.

Xtra

Visit site
when I cycle I am on busier roads than I would ever take my horse on so couldn't realistically acknowledge everyone. If someone is exceptionally helpful when I am cycling then I make a point of thanking them (if safe)

ester

Visit site
I hedge my bets re my brakes. I have a disc brake behind and a rim brake in front. Mine is more of a touring bike set up though, so is designed to be able to comfortably handle hefty loads.

ester’s bike is a more proper roadie (ie speedie) bike, I think.

I've a collection, oops! the latest is a genesis delta 20 = roadie with caliper brakes. But I've a merida speeder (fastish hybrid, with v-brakes) and a merida crossway - also a hybrid but has suspension so have turned into off-road option, has mechanical discs- that's the one I bought after I discovered I couldn't slow enough for a corner on my trusty ridgeback hybrid going to work in witshire ;).
I keep wondering whether to sack off the speeder, it felt really strange when I last got on it having been on the genesis so much but at least I can travel a non-folding lock on it and it has mudguards ;).

littleshetland

Visit site
Well yes I'm sure they'd be up for an alternative... It's probably better than all the idleing cars in town still.

What do you propose instead littleshetland?
I was thinking from a health point of view really.....gulping down great lungfuls of co2...hmmm. Even If I was cyclist I wouldn't fancy that much. I suppose we could turn the Isle of Wight into one huge velodrome.....(apologies to Isle of Wighters....I'm joking!)

ester

Visit site
But you do that doing most physical outdoor activities these days unless you are very lucky in where you live and what you can you access. If the choice is do no physical outdoor activity to avoid breathing car fumes and sit inside I'd rather do the activity.

I get travel sick so the isle of wight wouldn't work for me anyway ;)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Mudguards rock :D.

My touring bike is like a well schooled sports cob. Generous sized feet (40mm slick tyres) and built for comfort, but with a surprising turn of speed. Definitely good brakes. Not cheap at around £2k, but it was built up and specced to my requirements. The handlebars look very high in that pic but they don’t seem so in use, the riding position suits my age related creakiness. I used to ride on drops but I don’t get on with them now.

Mine is in the foreground. OH’s is in the background, it’s built around the same frame but it is whizzier.

1FB7956F-6DDE-4A7E-99A2-293FA722E7F3.jpeg

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I think I shall show this thread to my boss. Last summer he rediscovered cycling and at almost 50 has now managed to convince his wife that he needs 3 bikes of different capabilities and most days cycles between 30 and 50k before or after work!! When he starts talking about the technical spec I just nod politely as I have no idea what hes talking about. He does know his road etiquette where horses are involved though, Ive made sure of it :)

ester

Visit site
having two hybrids feels the same as having a VSD then buying a dressage saddle which I did too :D

I'm just looking longingly at all TP's frame space. I can just about squeeze two water bottles on and that's all the space I have
59682384_10161838980185438_3701591145713762304_n.jpg

littleshetland

Visit site
But you do that doing most physical outdoor activities these days unless you are very lucky in where you live and what you can you access. If the choice is do no physical outdoor activity to avoid breathing car fumes and sit inside I'd rather do the activity.

I get travel sick so the isle of wight wouldn't work for me anyway ;)
You don't get many cars and lorries driving within a couple of feet of a cricket pitch or a football pitch pumping their exhaust fumes directly into the players faces......

little_critter

Visit site
You don't get many cars and lorries driving within a couple of feet of a cricket pitch or a football pitch pumping their exhaust fumes directly into the players faces......
But you don't get to see the countryside playing football and cricket.
Do you ride horses because it keeps you fit, or because you love riding horses? I think most people do the sport they do because they enjoy it, not purely because it keeps them fit.

Alibear

Visit site
A point which I haven't seen yet. We mention Tour De France etc, where do you think those guys go train? Where do you think those at National level go to train? Where do the beginners go to train? Yep all on public roads, velodrome riding is no substitute. Its not too dissimilar to why we still hack on the roads. Time trails and weekend sportives etc are all part of that. There's no where else to go and do it.
I say this as horse rider, cyclist, runner, quad bike user and car driver. We do all have to get along and generally we manage to do so :)

SamBean

Visit site
Mudguards rock :D.

My touring bike is like a well schooled sports cob. Generous sized feet (40mm slick tyres) and built for comfort, but with a surprising turn of speed. Definitely good brakes. Not cheap at around £2k, but it was built up and specced to my requirements. The handlebars look very high in that pic but they don’t seem so in use, the riding position suits my age related creakiness. I used to ride on drops but I don’t get on with them now.

Mine is in the foreground. OH’s is in the background, it’s built around the same frame but it is whizzier.

View attachment 34551
Ok I'm suffering serious envy! I've got Dawes Karakum tourer which I love, especially as it has butterfly bars but do have our tandem from here with hub gears and love it! Want to replace my commute bike for a Thorn, they are bombproof! Fortunately, my husband is the same so would actively encourage yet another bike addition (as long as he has one too). I already have 3 solo's plus 2 tandems!

In answer to the op, if I'm on a single lane we will pull into a gateway or passing place to let cars past and I try my best to put a hand up or nod when being passed.

ester

Visit site

lucky for them. I can't play cricket or football so... I also have no wish to play any team sports *shudders*
My bikes are a direct replacement for my horse, they are to get out and about and see the countryside not run round on a patch of mown grass.
If I have to breath in some car fumes to do it then so be it, the same as me and the horse had to too.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Ok I'm suffering serious envy! I've got Dawes Karakum tourer which I love, especially as it has butterfly bars but do have our tandem from here with hub gears and love it! Want to replace my commute bike for a Thorn, they are bombproof! Fortunately, my husband is the same so would actively encourage yet another bike addition (as long as he has one too). I already have 3 solo's plus 2 tandems!
The test bike that I rode at SJS was fitted with Rohloff hub gears, I loved them, but couldn’t quite bring myself to pay the extra for them! Visiting SJS for a fitting session was well worth it, we all found.

Son no 1 has a Thorn Audax bike, which is a lot speedier than our Club Tours but can still squeeze in a set of mudguards. It didn’t miss a beat last autumn when he rode Lands End to John O Groats solo in 12 days, but he travelled light (his Dad was driving the motor home as support vehicle, so no need for lots of luggage). I may have mentioned to him once or twice that I rode an unsupported LeJog in 15 days in the late 70s, carrying all our stuff including maps in our panniers :p. That was on a Dawes Super Galaxy touring bike.

ester, I ride on bloke’s frames, I think that you get more room for water bottles etc on them as they don’t have such a sloping top tube.