Cyclists passing Horses - Anglia t.v. 6.16 p.m. 03.09.2018

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
We are in an area very popular with cyclists and as dozens pass us on every hack pony isn't bothered by them at all. However over the last couple of weeks I've noticed that more of them are calling out or ringing a bell before passing so the message must be getting out.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I've also noticed more cyclists are calling out 'cyclist coming through' or similar. I always thank them profusely.

Still get the odd idiot that whizzes past at a ridiculous speed.

TreeDog

Visit site
I had a strange encounter with a cyclist recently. Riding along a farm track bridleway, cyclist coming the other way pushing his bike up the hill. As he approached he wasn't moving over from the middle of the track so I stopped awkwardly on the edge trying to stop horse walking onto farmers freshly ploughed field. As he got close I was about to smile and nod at the guy anyway but he turned his face away looking at the ground and continued briskly past. Bit odd I thought but on my way back met the same guy again, this time on his bike, and again he very deliberately turned away completely avoiding looking at me. I thought maybe horses scare him a bit so fair enough but then why would you go past so close on a wide track and why use a busy bridleway if you don't like horses so much you can't even look at them or the rider? Very odd. And not really the safest thing to look in the opposite direction when passing close to a large and potentially unpredictable animal!

Fortunately most cyclists we come across are friendly and considerate

cowgirl16

Visit site
I had a strange encounter with a cyclist recently. Riding along a farm track bridleway, cyclist coming the other way pushing his bike up the hill. As he approached he wasn't moving over from the middle of the track so I stopped awkwardly on the edge trying to stop horse walking onto farmers freshly ploughed field. As he got close I was about to smile and nod at the guy anyway but he turned his face away looking at the ground and continued briskly past. Bit odd I thought but on my way back met the same guy again, this time on his bike, and again he very deliberately turned away completely avoiding looking at me. I thought maybe horses scare him a bit so fair enough but then why would you go past so close on a wide track and why use a busy bridleway if you don't like horses so much you can't even look at them or the rider? Very odd. And not really the safest thing to look in the opposite direction when passing close to a large and potentially unpredictable animal!

Fortunately most cyclists we come across are friendly and considerate

I see a lot of people driving with this bizarre habit! I can only assume that they think if they can't see it - it's not there!!