Cyst Surgery Today

Quigleyandme

Visit site
My grey yearling ID had a lump on his shoulder about the size of a hazelnut removed today. It turned out to be a cyst full of hair. Relieved it wasn’t a sarcoid but I’d be interested to know if anyone else has had one?
4BA8BB29-CB76-442B-8DBA-D345E4C80384.jpeg

PapaverFollis

Visit site
The Beast had one removed on her stifle just after her first winter with us. He took a big margin in case it was a melanoma or sarcoid so it left a scar. It also left her terrified of needles which is annoying. It was a "dermal inclusion cyst" apparently. She's not had another form yet. Touching wood!

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Thank you PapaverFollis. My vet couldn’t think of the name for these. She also took a big margin as we were unsure what it was and he has five huge stitches down his shoulder.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I never got any clear information on how it was formed but mine is also a grey and probably an ID. Vet commented that her skin was really thick when her was cutting it out too! We joked about rhinos in her ancestry. Hopefully yours heels up nicely.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
They usually develop when an injury, which could even be a small puncture, drives some cells from the outer layer of the skin into the deeper layer. As these cells will often contain hair roots, the hairs continue to grow, often with the greasy sebaceous gland secretions.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
They usually develop when an injury, which could even be a small puncture, drives some cells from the outer layer of the skin into the deeper layer. As these cells will often contain hair roots, the hairs continue to grow, often with the greasy sebaceous gland secretions.
Thank you for the info Cobgoblin. Hopefully this was a one-off event then. I’ve just been down the field to check on him and he made it perfectly clear I am an untrustworthy horse abuser who can just feck off :mad: