D.I.Y. pond/water jump....any tips?

Hollyhorse

Visit site
With this weather our fields are really wet, puddles everywhere! It's been suggested that we make a pond at the wettest part and the water will all run there, keeping the fields a little drier - tried and tested apparently! If I'm going to have a pond in my field tho, I definitely want to make it a water jump that I can use with my horses and youngsters to prepare them for one-day-events. To be honest, even if it doesn't work as a place for the water to go, I still would like a water jump! I'd want one end to be a slope in and the other to have a step. Any idea how I go about building one of these?! Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated
smile.gif

Many thanks

pottamus

Visit site
You need to channel the water to where you want it and bank it up to capture it but leave it flat either side for some sort of jump and poles.
I have my very own moat around my field stable at the moment.

Twilight

Visit site
My guess is that you will need some sort of gravelly surface at the bottom, not just mud! We have lots of water jumps at the mpment as sll our ridge and furrows have filled up - but the bottoms get really yucky if you play in them too much.