Dad wants to get rid of my dog

PrancingPoniesxx

Visit site
So I have two dogs-both Cairn Terriers!
I love them. Unfortunately the younger one(a male) has never been properly house trained. It doesn't matter what I do he seems impossible to house train.
Now last year (when he was 2 he's 3 now) my dad built him a big pen in our garage with space for him to run around and play. He now stays there almost all of the time(unless its freezing when I will convince my dad to let him into the house.
The dog was bought so that our other Cairn could have puppies. He never really house trained because we didn't have as much time as we did with our other dog. I clean out his pen every day I walk him most days(st the very least he gets a few times round the garden) and I feed him every day. I love him so much but now my dad abets to sell him. I have no idea what to do because I really really really want to keep him but now I'm afraid that my dad will sell him behind my back. Could anyone give me some tips on how to persuade my dad not to sell him?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
He can't sell him? Why would a non house trained adult cairn be particularly saleable?

Have you sought professional advice?

TBF it sounds like he could do with an upgrade anyway, you bought him just so you could have puppies, didn't have enough time to house train him, yet you say he is impossible to house train? and he gets to live in a garage with a walk 'most' days, not even every day...

planete

Visit site
It does not sound as if your male dog is having the best life he should have. I know it is not what you want to hear but finding him a home where somebody will have the time to house train him (adult dogs learn to be house trained easily in my experience), where he will get walked every day and have a chance to be part of a family would give him a far better life than the one he seems to have at the moment. If you love him as much as you say, let him go.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
so the dog is on his own, in a garage most of the time then? and sometimes just goes out in the garden?

I think your dad is making the adult decision tbh although I'm not sure who'd actually buy him. rehome to someone who'll be pleased to spend some time with him.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
So I have two dogs-both Cairn Terriers!
I love them. Unfortunately the younger one(a male) has never been properly house trained. It doesn't matter what I do he seems impossible to house train.
Now last year (when he was 2 he's 3 now) my dad built him a big pen in our garage with space for him to run around and play. He now stays there almost all of the time(unless its freezing when I will convince my dad to let him into the house.
The dog was bought so that our other Cairn could have puppies. He never really house trained because we didn't have as much time as we did with our other dog. I clean out his pen every day I walk him most days(st the very least he gets a few times round the garden) and I feed him every day. I love him so much but now my dad abets to sell him. I have no idea what to do because I really really really want to keep him but now I'm afraid that my dad will sell him behind my back. Could anyone give me some tips on how to persuade my dad not to sell him?

Hard situation, I want to get rid of our dog but hubby wants to keep it so I said right then it is your dog I want nothing to do with it.

Thistle

Visit site
so the dog is on his own, in a garage most of the time then? and sometimes just goes out in the garden?

I think your dad is making the adult decision tbh although I'm not sure who'd actually buy him. rehome to someone who'll be pleased to spend some time with him.

Please rehome the dog preferably with the breed rescue. Don't breed from from dogs who haven't had all the appropriate health tests.

You dog deserves a much better life that the one he currently has.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Please re-home and please don't just have puppies, purely because you can. How the heck will you have time for that if you haven't got time to house train? It's a piece of cake, fgs!

Moobli

Visit site
It won't be what you want to hear but I also think you need to rehome your dog - through breed rescue - and get him the life he deserves. Does your bitch get more attention, exercise etc? If not, then I think you should also rehome her. Dogs are sentient beings that require a great deal of time, care and dedication. If you don't have those things then it is the only right thing to do.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am a other who thinks your dad is doing the right thing. I would also not have puppies if you don't have time to walk the dog.

We got our dog Heckkie, when he was a full adult, and it was obvious he had lived on a chain outside (as initially he was happiest when on a chain!). But, he is now our dog, so we set to house training. This meant a crate in the house when we could not watch him, but most of the time he was with us in the house, but for a month or two it meant that we had to walk him well before settling in, and then watch him like a hawk, and as soon as he looked a bit needy he was taken outside.

Heck was very skinny when we took him on, and has had issues with his digestion that have meant occasional incontinence (through pancreatitis - £920 vets bill too- eek). We have provided puppy pads when he has been poorly, and done much cleaning up. He is over that at the moment, and is currently curled up on my feet on the sofa.

I don't see how your dog can become house trained whilst left in the garage alone, with occasional walks around the garden.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Lévrier;13490311 said:
Echo this although it makes me angry as well as sad - dogs deserve more than being owned by people like this or the OP

Agree. I vow never to go on the dog section of MN ever again, it made me so sad to see how many idiots own dogs. General consensus on there is that 30min walk per day is fine for a lab.

OP please find your dog a lovely new home.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Agree. I vow never to go on the dog section of MN ever again, it made me so sad to see how many idiots own dogs.

god, I just looked over there. all these people presumably with kids but they can't look after a puppy!? people really have no clue how to house train do they. no wonder kids are now wearing nappies until they are 3/4yo.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Op, no dog deserves to live in solitary confinement - so let's hope your dad finds the poor thing a nice new home soon.

As for Tyssandi. Absolutely no words.

Clodagh

Visit site
Op, please do rehome your dog but please get him chopped first, I just see him ending up at a puppy farm which possibly would be even worse than his current existence.
We don't know Tyssandis problem, perhaps the dog is vicious towards her, her family or another dog?

{97702}

Visit site
Op, please do rehome your dog but please get him chopped first, I just see him ending up at a puppy farm which possibly would be even worse than his current existence.
We don't know Tyssandis problem, perhaps the dog is vicious towards her, her family or another dog?

If that is the case she should make the correct choice for the dog and have the poor thing PTS instead of passing the problem on to someone else. There are no excuses.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
I find this very sad. Why do you want to "get rid" of your dog? I wish people would think very carefully before getting a dog in the first place!

excuse me?? you do not know the situation or the reasons so please do not judge. FYI this is our 3rd dog and not suitable for what we want and it is the dogs best interest to have another home.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Lévrier;13490311 said:
Echo this although it makes me angry as well as sad - dogs deserve more than being owned by people like this or the OP

Like what Levrier. someone who does not believe a dog should be chained up all the time, someone who thinks a dog should be in the right situation for it not keeping a dog for the wrong reasons.

As usual on this forum people judge you without knowing the FULL story. Maybe if posters did not get shot down when then mention something they may explain but you get judged what ever you say on here. I am not explaining in an open forum for that very reason, just take it or leave it why this dog should be re homed with a family more suited for it's needs.

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
excuse me?? you do not know the situation or the reasons so please do not judge. FYI this is our 3rd dog and not suitable for what we want and it is the dogs best interest to have another home.

Fair enough. Why does that mean you want nothing to do with it though? That is just so sad 😯

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I was responding directly to the explanation you gave.... if you didn't want to get into the story or anyone to judge you why mention it at all? - on a dog forum...
I agree with her that it is terribly sad for you to say you will have nothing to do with it.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I want to get rid of our dog but hubby wants to keep it so I said right then it is your dog I want nothing to do with it.

Bad choice of wording and phrasing. I now understand completely that this dog would be better off being rehomed. Tyssandi wants what's best for the dog.

Moobli

Visit site

As someone else says further down - your original reply was perhaps just badly worded. If this poor dog spends all its life on a chain, then why not take it into your own hands to make a difference instead of saying you want nothing to do with it? Let it off the chain, take it for a walk, bring it in the house? You may have a situation you don't want to explain on an open forum - and that is fair enough, but why mention it at all?

{97702}

Visit site
Like what Levrier. someone who does not believe a dog should be chained up all the time, someone who thinks a dog should be in the right situation for it not keeping a dog for the wrong reasons.

As usual on this forum people judge you without knowing the FULL story. Maybe if posters did not get shot down when then mention something they may explain but you get judged what ever you say on here. I am not explaining in an open forum for that very reason, just take it or leave it why this dog should be re homed with a family more suited for it's needs.

You said you wanted to get rid of your dog. You did not say that you felt it was better to re-home your dog for its own sake. If you want people to get the right idea about your intentions, try using the right sort of language in your responses instead of emotive dismissive phraseology like "get rid"

It ain't rocket science, you must have been on the forum long enough in your various incarnations to have realised that?