Dad wants to get rid of my dog

PrancingPoniesxx

Visit site
I should have tried to make things clearer. He gets a walk about three/four times a week and at the very least he gets round the garden every day. We had our puppies about two years ago now.
And I'm not trying to be a troll. I do love him and I want what's best for him. I want to make the best decision for him and I know letting go will be hard. I need sometime to basically tell me that however much I love him he needs a better life. I know what I need to do. I guess it's just finding a new owner now. He's such a good loving boy in spite of the housetraining bump. He honestly is the nicest boy. Hopefully I can find someone that loves him as much as i do❤️

crabbymare

Visit site
I should have tried to make things clearer. He gets a walk about three/four times a week and at the very least he gets round the garden every day. We had our puppies about two years ago now.
And I'm not trying to be a troll. I do love him and I want what's best for him. I want to make the best decision for him and I know letting go will be hard. I need sometime to basically tell me that however much I love him he needs a better life. I know what I need to do. I guess it's just finding a new owner now. He's such a good loving boy in spite of the housetraining bump. He honestly is the nicest boy. Hopefully I can find someone that loves him as much as i do❤️
with being kept in a garage he needs to be walked 3 or 4 times a day (not a week) plus going out into the garden. please get in touch with the breed rescue as they will have people who understand the needs and will help him get another home

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Doesn't sound like you love him that much to be honest, "gets a walk about three/four times a week". My dog gets walked three or four times A DAY. Disgusting way to keep an animal and I cannot tell you how cross people like you make me. Should have to have a licence to have a dog.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It was perfectly clear that you didn't walk him even once every day and that isn't acceptable given his living arrangements.

Theocat

Visit site

In your first post you ask how you can show your dad you love this dog. The answer to that is by giving the dog time- walk it twice a day, house train it, give it lots of attention. If you are unwilling to do that, I think your dad is probably doing this because you have shown you don't love it and aren't caring for it.

I think it is in this dog's interest to find a new home- but please think VERY carefully before you take on any more animals in the future; they are a tremendous time commitment.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

Yep, he needs a better life, which wouldn't be hard to give him.

A dog needs exercise and stimulus, and walking it occasionally doesn't provide that. Nor does living in solitary confinement 😟Some people walk a dog once a day, some multiple times. Depending on breeds and needs of the dog. For instance I have a small dog (a Bichon) and she generally gets between 2 and 5 hours of exercise a day. She also has free access to the garden (I'm at home all day).

I'm hoping that your little dog's life isn't as sad as your initial post implied. But it doesn't sound great.

Someone earlier mentioned breed rescue and I think this would be an excellent avenue to pursue.

Last edited:

{97702}

Visit site

I'm guessing you are a kid who doesn't know any better. At least I hope you are! Others have already made the position clear - if you love this dog, please immediately give him up to someone who can give him a decent home where he will be walked daily, given the time to be housetrained properly, and given the love and attention he needs. I don't know whether you have gained the idea that the life he has is acceptable from an adult, but please change that view immediately - it isn't, you are being cruel to this dog even if that is through lack of correct knowledge

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
So I have two dogs-both Cairn Terriers!
I love them. Unfortunately the younger one(a male) has never been properly house trained. It doesn't matter what I do he seems impossible to house train.
Now last year (when he was 2 he's 3 now) my dad built him a big pen in our garage with space for him to run around and play. He now stays there almost all of the time(unless its freezing when I will convince my dad to let him into the house.
The dog was bought so that our other Cairn could have puppies. He never really house trained because we didn't have as much time as we did with our other dog. I clean out his pen every day I walk him most days(st the very least he gets a few times round the garden) and I feed him every day. I love him so much but now my dad abets to sell him. I have no idea what to do because I really really really want to keep him but now I'm afraid that my dad will sell him behind my back. Could anyone give me some tips on how to persuade my dad not to sell him?

Three minus two equals one year old at time of being put to stud.

Kaylum

Visit site
Has he had his boys operation and is he going to the vets for his yearly check ups/vaccinations if so your probably in a good position to get him rehomed. Look on the internet for the terrier rescue sites they will check out the suitable homes. He cannot live the rest of his life in a garage. He is not getting enough sun light, human contact etc. I suspect that he hasn't had his operation and your dad doesn't want more puppies as your girl dog won't have had her op either?

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Three minus two equals one year old at time of being put to stud.

Although I don't agree with anything the OP has said about the way this dog is being kept, one year old isn't unusual for a male to be used at stud (as long as health tests have been done). Males are generally used for breeding younger than females.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm not holding out much hope for health testing :( though I think it is only eyes re. APD for cairns.

the concept of acquiring a dog, not having time for it, using it to produce you some puppies and chucking it out in the garage (I am hoping it is an upgrade on my garage and has windows!) is appalling me quite frankly and I really do hope he gets an upgrade very soon.

rachk89

Visit site
Doesnt it just make sense that the dog isnt able to understand house training when you don't exercise it enough to get rid of its energy? Too much energy so it doesn't listen as it wants to run around.

In other words OP you cant handle a dog. Get a new home for both or however many you have. My dad has wanted a dog for years but we don't get one as me and my mum know perfectly well he will be too lazy to walk it and then it will fall on us, the ones who don't want nor like dogs and don't have time for one. Not fair to the dog. Its just common sense. Dunno why people can't use it more.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Although I don't agree with anything the OP has said about the way this dog is being kept, one year old isn't unusual for a male to be used at stud (as long as health tests have been done). Males are generally used for breeding younger than females.

It might not be unusual but it's definitely stupid, irresponsible, and unnecessary. One year old is far too young - just look at how many dogs with epilepsy don't present until their third or fourth year. I'm sure there are other conditions that fall into this category too. And how can a one year old have been proven in terms of temperament or behaviour? It's still a baby itself! How many times on here do posters bemoan people who fail to understand that the eighteen month old dog they have isn't bad but just young and acting accordingly?

Anyone who supports deliberately breeding from a dog or bitch aged below three years is welcome to take offence at the above, and also at anything else that is ever posted by me, because I am judging the heck out of the lot of you for it. Shame on you. Accidents happen certainly, but planned litters from still immature animals is wrong.

Anyhow, I'm out. There's every reason to think that this is in fact yet another Leviathon/HG12/TYSSANDI related persona or other troll spawned thread, so it can find its dinner elsewhere!

{97702}

Visit site
It might not be unusual but it's definitely stupid, irresponsible, and unnecessary. One year old is far too young - just look at how many dogs with epilepsy don't present until their third or fourth year. I'm sure there are other conditions that fall into this category too. And how can a one year old have been proven in terms of temperament or behaviour? It's still a baby itself! How many times on here do posters bemoan people who fail to understand that the eighteen month old dog they have isn't bad but just young and acting accordingly?

Anyone who supports deliberately breeding from a dog or bitch aged below three years is welcome to take offence at the above, and also at anything else that is ever posted by me, because I am judging the heck out of the lot of you for it. Shame on you. Accidents happen certainly, but planned litters from still immature animals is wrong.

Anyhow, I'm out. There's every reason to think that this is in fact yet another Leviathon/HG12/TYSSANDI related persona or other troll spawned thread, so it can find its dinner elsewhere!

Apart from the very obvious point that MM said it was relatively common to use year old dogs at stud NOT that she condoned or supported this...

Cairns will have reached maturity as a small breed around 12 months old - if they weren't mature enough to breed, nature would not allow it to happen!

There are a great many health conditions which only become apparent in later years, so to suggest that dogs should not be bred from until they are 3 years old makes no sense at all. Heart failure usually manifests itself in the latter years of a dogs life - yes, once it has been established that certain dogs may well pass on this health condition they should not be bred from, but surely no-one could realistically suggest that we shouldn't breed from dogs until they are (for example) 8 years old just to make sure they don't develop a heart murmur?

millikins

Visit site
I don't think OP is a troll, I think she's just a kid and there have been some extremely unkind replies from adults. I doubt that she had much say in the purchase, breeding or way of keeping this dog and was looking for help.
OP if you are still reading, I would suggest you need to compromise with your dad, agree that the best thing is for the dog to be re homed but try and get him sent to a rescue or a registered breeder if he's good enough. Cairns are now quite rare and he could end up in somebody else's shed/garage breeding more puppies.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Could anyone give me some tips on how to persuade my dad not to sell him?

Yes, i can give you some advice. If you want to keep your dog, convince your dad by committing to dedicating the time it takes to give the dog the life it deserves. Continue caring for the dog daily (feeding & cleaning it out etc) but also ensure he is walked at least once daily, & has stimulation, & company. Ask your dad about considering getting him neutered so there are no more puppies. Also talk to your dad about having him inside, but take the time to house train him as - seek professional assistance with this if it is proving difficult.

If you can't manage the above, then the kindest thing would be to allow him to be rehomed through a rescue centre.