Daft question about microchipping

Archangel

Visit site
My horses are due to be chipped next week. 3 of them have heavy coats so should I clip a bit away before the vet arrives and if so where? One horse has never seen the clippers before (she has a very fine coat even in winter). If she has to have a patch clipped out then I will prepare her beforehand to avoid surprising her on the day.
Thanks in advance
smile.gif

ladyt25

Visit site
You shouldn't have to no - the chip goes just in the top (crest)of the neck about midway down and the vet should be able to put it in without having to clip any hair off.

NW1

Visit site
sorry i might be useless here but i dont whether they do or not (mine was done in summer), it is just like an injection with a gun tho & his was done in his neck (the usual injection place) .... if they did need to b clippped a little bit, could you not use a pair of those hand held trimmers, (like mens beard trimmers!) they are small quiet & dont vibrate too much. if you were really worried could you borrow a pair off someone and just have an introduction & a bit of a play around.

NW1

Visit site
te he he, just read LadyT's post... shows how much attention i was paying when they did it!!

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
to be microchipped a big (yes its a big scary needle!!!!) straw like needle is put into the ligament that runs along the top of the spine, so just below the fat in the crest of the neck (in a healthy horse there is not a lot so its easy to do)
and it just goes in, pop and out again.
It depends just HOW hairy your horse is, if its a super fuzz bot, the vet may want it clipped for decreasing the risk of taking hair into the ligament and internal structures.
However if your horse is just a little bit snuggly, it may be ok.

Kub

Visit site
My boy was chipped about a month ago and he's uber hairy. The vet cut a small section of hair off with scissors for where she wanted to put the chip. It's a big needle, but she injected an anaesthetic (sp??) first and then the microchip so he'd didn't really feel it (seeing as it is a big needle!)

So I'd say no, if the vet needs the hair remove, I expect they'll have scissors with them and do the same as mine did
smile.gif

Barneykins

Visit site
Well.......I took my horse to be chipped & the vet did shave the top of his neck - actually twice!! And he was going to a big show 2 weeks later. I nearly had heart failure. Then a different vet came to the yad las week to do 2 ponies & did not shave - just injected. So... who knows
crazy.gif

Boxers

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How different is this from microchipping dogs? I thought it was the same type of chip and they don't clip dogs hairy or otherwise

[/ QUOTE ]

No different - it's the same size chip (size of a grain of rice) and the same size hollow needle. So while we worry about it hurting our hulking big horses, think how it must be for a little kitten or puppy!

s4sugar

Visit site
The needle and chip is the same but the implanting technique is different as in a dog or cat it goes under the loose skin rather than into solid flesh. I am qualified to do dogs & cats but only Vets are allowed to chip equines. My scanners read horse microchips.

My foal stood like a rock for his chip at four months.

I can't see the point of a local injection as that takes longer than the microchip insertion.

Normal fuzziness is fine but for an extreme hairy it is a good idea to take off a bit of hair and I've done a few pre chip trims using dog clippers so half an inch can remain at the site.

It is a good idea is to make sure the area is clean and to start fingertip tapping the crest as practice.

Archangel

Visit site
Thanks everyone, very helpful. I think scissors will do the job for the mare as she is just snugly but better have the clippers ready for the two yak-boys. The big needle sounds interesting... gulp...!