daft question - which room to post in ?

khadijah

Visit site
Hi all,

which forum should i post in to get a good response from peoples experiences of travelling horses from spain to UK ?

not competition just a family pet thats coming from Morocco.

thanks in advance xxx

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Tack room will produce results but put in a bit of detail.

Are you planning to transport the horse yourself?
Do you want help with finding a professional transporter?
Do you want to know about the paperwork that is required?
Vets checks?
Ferry or tunnel?

There are a few people who should be able to help 😁

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Hi Khadijah, what did you want to know? I've traveled several horses (and donkeys) from Spain to UK and on to Ireland, both by myself and using commercial transporters. I've also been involved in getting a horse from Morocco to Spain.

khadijah

Visit site
Tack room will produce results but put in a bit of detail.

Are you planning to transport the horse yourself?
Do you want help with finding a professional transporter?
Do you want to know about the paperwork that is required?
Vets checks?
Ferry or tunnel?

There are a few people who should be able to help 😁

thanks so much for your reply, great advice ! i need to have a think about my questions ! i have anxiety too so this is not really ideal plan for me !! just knowing details and viewpoints and experiences really helps with my anxiety you see.

khadijah

Visit site
Hi Khadijah, what did you want to know? I've traveled several horses (and donkeys) from Spain to UK and on to Ireland, both by myself and using commercial transporters. I've also been involved in getting a horse from Morocco to Spain.

thats great to hear ! very reassuring as it makes me feel its a perfectly normal and regular thing to undertake !

So, basically we have family in Morocco and spend a lot of time there. I have a filly that will be 2 in May. I would like to bring her over next autumn (sooner if could but prob not financially able quite yet)

My husband has driven to morocco several times, i think its ferry to spain then on to morocco. So he is thinking he could bring her for me. However Im thinking as there are so many overnight rests involved for her, perhaps be better to leave it to the professionals?

I was thinking if we got her to Gibraltar perhaps she could be picked up from there.

So I guess my first question is what is a rough cost of spain to UK anyway ? I think if i have a rough idea I can ask hubby what he thinks.

We also have a section A and she does ideally need to come too. BUT shes 6 and fine left to her own devices where as my little filly needs working with and Id really like to bring her as soon as. Or would i regret not just bringing them both together as its all quite a hassle ? Im quite stressed really, not sure whats best !

thanks all again, really pleased to have got replies.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Khadijah I have only travelled my horse to Germany and back and I used Parkers each time. They are really good to deal with and took the stress out of the whole thing. I asked for a quote online which came back within a few days and it was very reasonable at about £450 each way. On the leg back to Uk I had to get the state vet to fill out the forms within 48 hours of him traveling. They were signed on the Friday and he was collected on the Sunday where forms and passport were handed over and they did everything else. They have stop over stables all over Europe and in all it took 3 days for him to arrive home. I think they stopped in Maastricht on the Sunday, got the tunnel on the Monday and he then spent the night in Dover before being delivered Tuesday lunchtime. The European leg lorries are very luxurious, air conditioned, cameras and padded stalls so extremely comfortable. The Uk lorries are just as nice but smaller.

The best thing about using a pro transporter is that they travel horses all day, every day and they are so good at it. They know the rules, the horses are well cared for and it takes all the stress out of it for the owner.