Daft things told when viewing a horse..................

dibbin

Visit site
'He's never done that before' - horse was a total pig: on the lunge, with his usual rider on him, and when I got on. Bucking, napping and refusing to go in any direction he was asked! Gave him the benefit of the doubt and went for a second viewing a few days later ... it took half an hour to catch him and he was so bad on the lunge I didn't even get on him.

My most disappointing viewing was driving for an hour in horrible weather to see a Sec D x TB who was advertised as 15.2hh and looked nice and solid in the photos. I got there and he was a little slip of a thing who might have just been 15hh in shoes on his tiptoes! I watched him ridden then got on, I literally sat on him for 5 mins then had to get off because I felt ridiculously big on him. Such a waste of my time and the seller's. He was a lovely little thing too, if only he'd been bigger.

alainax

Visit site
To be fair to the " he has never done that before" point.. I have witnessed this!

I rode a lovely appaloosa for his owner, I loved the very bones of him, pity he wasn't just a hand taller.

Anywho... A lovely lady came out to try him, I had rode him around the arena, he was a wee star. I got off, she put her foot in the stirrup and before her leg had even got over the saddle she was on the deck! Have no idea what happened! I got back on and rode him no bother... she went to try him again, and wham! she was on the floor again! Poor lady really liked him, but understandably had to pass. I guess the horse just hadn't "chosen" her!

lisa_dundee

Visit site
That's exactly what I thought Mynutmeg, if he could have that sort of understanding that it was a people fault and not a horse fault and he was so keen to learn, those are the people that succeed the most, that mare really did get the best home ever, I knew if falling off her at full bolt didn't put him off then he was going to have the determination to build a relationship with her x

ZondaR

Visit site
I once had a livery run up to me wailing that her horse was dead. Went to check and found him flat out snoring. Told his owner he was sleeping only to be told don't be silly horses don't sleep :-D

First time I saw a horse lying on the ground snoring I thought he was having some kind of seizure. It gave me the fright of my life!

Tayto

Visit site
Hmm, well I think the daftest (and sadly quite common) is the "He/She's never done that before" as said horse proceeds to show you it's 'talent' for rearing vertical/broncing etc etc....!! :)

This^^^^^ happened to me - horse is suitable for nervous novice type and has never bucked, bolted etc 10 mins later it bolted down a hill with me and ditched me at the bottom! Owner comes over and says "hmmm he's never done that before"

Equestriangirl123

Visit site
Went to a dealer looking for a safe all rounder , travelled miles as online it said she had a selection that would be suitable for me .

Told her what I wanted ( safe ride in every way - good allrounder) and she put me on a mare that was very green , hadn't done any schooling , struggled over a fence ( although she claimed it poped 1m easy) and didn't know how to canter ! Out on the road was very forward going and didn't like you asking it to slow up by half halting it just got faster and grabbed the bit. As having lost my confidence with my previous horse taking off with me ( as I told her ) I did not feel this horse was right for me .

I then told her I wanted something a bit more steady that had been there done a bit ... I was told I needed one of her quiet gypsy cobs and that ' NO OTHER BREED IS SUITABLE AS THEY ARE NOT SAFE ENOUGH'

Currently these gypsy cobs were breaking down the fence , clambering into the school and galloping and bucking around . Her staff then went to catch these horses and they ran off bucking and kicking out at them !!!

Mum and I then decided it was time to leave this yard, we made a quick excuse , leapt into the car and off we went .

I have now bought a lovely ID x , very similar to the horse we tried at first at her yard . And yes he is 100% in every way and I have my confidence back !!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Just seen one advertised as 'genuinely unbroken' - as opposed to what?!

As opposed to 'Tried to break in, mess made of it and it dumped anyone who tried to get on so we're keeping quiet about that and selling as unbroken when actually it's a horse that's been screwed up'

Last edited:

p87

Visit site
Mine is something funny someone said to me when viewing a horse I was selling.

It was a windy day and the other horses were calling from the other field on the mare for sale, she was already quite hyped up so I was apprehensive, but only because I had no idea of this woman's abilities. After I rode round the field and showed the mare off a bit the woman got on and I just repeated again "I'm not making excuses, but with the windy weather and the herd shouting on her she is a little over excited and may throw in a few bucks as charge about a bit..."

The woman was half way through replying "that's fine, I like seeing horses when they are wound up and hyper as it gives me a better overall impression of them"

...When the mare took off at a 180 degree spin up the field, chucked in a few excited bucks, had a wee spook at a log and came careering back towards us again.

Thank god the woman was more than competent and found the whole thing hilarious! After I'd got over the shock and embarrassment we had a good laugh about it, it was so perfectly times how she was halfway through her sentence when she suddenly shot up the field!

mudmonkey17

Visit site
Went to view a horse for another girl. Rode horse to see what i thought of it as she liked it. Horse was lame, owner insisted she was just jumping the puddles in the school :)

flirtygerty

Visit site
Not daft just brutally honest in my case, went to view a trotter x, arrived to see him being led down the lane having ditched his rider, the old gent held him in a stable and when I offered to shut the stable door, the old gent said "No the ****** will be out in no time", four years on, my barn is like Fort Knox to stop this lad escaping, but what a horse, he's my lottery win, a total character, odd sense of humour, a bully with the others, as described and I wouldn't change him for the world

RLS

Visit site
Went to view horse with a friend. It was advertised as suitable for novice rider (friend hadn't ridden for many years at that point). We arrived a little early. Horse was already tacked up, waiting aoutside stable. Owner told me "I've got a sore elbow so can't ride today".
Oh dear, thinks me. Anyway, we'd driven an hour to get there, so I gave it a try. Walk & trot was quite nice, canter - uh, no. Tried to buck me off! When I got off, owner says "oh, you seem to get on really well with him". Uh well, thanks, but no thanks!

rara007

Visit site
We went to see an ugly spotted cob (supposed to be a WB) who they couldn't trot up in hand as they seemed to have no clue how to?! And under saddle it had 'forgotten' how to trot. It was 5 or 6, should know how to do a 2 beat trot!

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
When I went with a friend to view a horse for her, I remember when I asked how the horse jumped, the seller (wanna-be professional dealer) said the horse "paces her self really well, when approaching jump". OK, I thought, we will see what she means.

When watching her jump the horse, what the horse actually done was literally canter on the spot as you face the jump, and then the last 2 strides would launch herself at the jump. Not what I would call "pacing herself"???