Daisy Does (Norton) Disney... :) :) :)

kerilli

Visit site
Up bright and early for last run of the season, BE90 at ND, thanks to them for stepping us down without a quibble. :) :) :)
No vids sorry, pics coming when I get the digital versions from the lovely David Saunders Photography, who were doing '3 for 2' (at £10 each) and who will send me the digital version gratis because I bought some. Excellent service, wish all togs would do this! He was doing very well I think, there seemed to be lots of sales... :) :)
Anyway, back to Daisy. Got there early, walked course, trying to take the orange-numbered fences seriously. Walked 1, set off for 2, nice arc. I thought "that's fine, it's a bit bigger than fence 1 though", then noticed the yellow number. ffs. Rewalked line to orange fence. Sigh. Nice course, educational. Very sticky going, they'd rolled loads of it so done their absolute best, all credit, but it was a bit of a bog in front of some fences. Concentrated REALLY hard on learning the correct course, following the orange numbers. Funny how orange and pink are so similar, huh? Why couldn't PN be violet fgs?!?!? ;) ;)
Got ready, put big dome studs in, went off to do dressage. Still v foggy but she could hear and then see the xc... ooops. Rapid switch to Warmup Plan B, which is basically lots of lateral work in walk followed by 20-30 mins of trotting with short canters, without any walking at all, to try to tire her out enough to relax. It sort of worked, although I ended up doing SO much lateral work in sitting trot too (as excitement meant she was determined to trot like a sewing machine stuck on ff) so she couldn't escape, that she then decided Everything Sideways was obv the order of the day...! Her shoulder-in is quite posh now so that is our comfort blankie, and it worked pretty well...
Went in and did a nice enough test - she let me ride her, she didn't run off in canter. Unforch it was the same test as last weekend and after a perfectly nice 1st canter to trot aid and transition, she decided to tell the judge that last week i'd removed her molars at that point! We got 6s and 7s the whole way through, no blips lower (1st time I can say that!), and 7s for last canter, which I was v chuffed about. Most of the 6s could easily have been 7s if she'd been more rideable, she just tightened, argued for a second, had a bit of an opinion. They'd moved the arena slightly from yesterday and I made the totally rookie error of coming down the final line on the old track then realising... damn. 6 for that too. No excuse in WALK fgs! 7 for paces, which considering she hadn't really let go, I was happy with. 37, which I didn't find out until I'd been xc!
SJ time, didn't get to walk it. Argumentative in warm-up despite being in a bit she was perfectly happy jumping in at home on Friday. Sigh. I think she's going to be one of those who has to have a 'just for comps' bridle... BIG Thank You to Kirstyhen and her friend for doing the upright biggish for me just before we went in, which D proceeded to hit behind, and then rub in front. We then had THE ropiest round yet, but somehow clear. Bizarre. We had a MAJOR disagreement about striding at 1 parallel, I'd definitely seen another nice stride when she just took off straight out of my hands, UGH, I thought she was going to dive right through it and slipped my reins as I went into the back seat but she somehow left it up. Loads of wrong leads and corrections, nothing like as nice as last week's 4 fault round.... oh well. Last few were nice enough I guess. As we all know, sometimes the scores on the doors are not a true reflection... to be fair she didn't touch one, but it wasn't a smooth round at all!
Back to lorry, stripped her, was washing her off when a horse went behind her on the xc (a few hundred yards away) and she launched forward straight onto my foot. Never been leapt on by a studded horse before. My poor Sarm Hippiques are obv a LOT tougher than they look - the stud has made a big permanent dent, and it hurt for a moment, but my foot seems to have escaped unscathed...
To be continued... hope you've got a coffee and a comfy chair. ;) ;)

kerilli

Visit site
XC time, yay. There was only one warm-up fence, with a bit of a bog in front of it. She decided, typical Daisy fashion, that that had to be cleared too, and stood right off it. Hmmm. Next time round I stuffed her in it (log was small) and Princess realised she can put her feet in the bog a bit closer to the fence, thanks. Daring each other bigger and longer is NOT the plan over 90cm fences...!
Fence 1 was a greenery roll thing, and the way she jumped the one at Burnham was in my mind... sure enough, she ballooned it as if it was 4'6". There's dragons in that there greenery. No tog at that one unfortunately. Good to next one (sideways glances at banners but we got there), a tad green to log due to mud, noticed the pretty croquet set under number 4 but jumped fine, was a bit impressed by skinny table at 5 but she made a good job of it when I rode it strongly. Good through the next few, cruising nicely, with me making sure we went on the quiet educational stride rather than the 'yeehaaaaaa' huge standoff stride she'd prefer... not hooking her but just waiting for the fence iyswim. Came to double of steps on bounce distance, I rebalanced and got a good spot, and she went up the first one VERY oddly, a leg at a time (that's how it felt, and FJ agrees!), but cleverly sorted her pins out in the bounce and went cleanly up the 2nd one. Weird, she just gets a bit out of shape at times, isn't going to stop but forgets her style... LOTS more work on athetic exercises through the winter!
Came round the corner to the cartridge to ditch that I'd walked carefully, as I came round the corner I noticed it had a PINK number. Argh. Orange one was right beside it, ditch to cartridge. Phew. Popped that nicely. Fine over log, then came to water, she went back to trot but in very nicely and popped herself up to canter for the skinny barrels. All good. Switched whip hand in case she had a boggle at the 'tower' end of the house, but she didn't. We agreed on a big stride to the table (norty) and she jumped it brilliantly, good through double of pig arcs, huge jump over chase fence (brush harbours dragons too), and I saw a quiet one to the last, just to be on the safe side. (Someone else got UR at it... HOW infuriating?!?!)
So, v happy with that. A few green moments and pops to trot but she learnt how to go in mud and was listening, and totally chuffed with herself, proceeded to tow me round the lorry park for 20 mins. :) :) As far as she's concerned she is now The Star Eventer...
7.2 time pens, which didn't worry me at all. Last week on better ground I pushed on a bit and got 1.2 with a drive-by, so the time's not a problem. Wouldn't have wanted to go faster to small fences, both need them bigger really, but only when the style's sorted!
XC training booked in a few weeks, SJ training to take, BS to do, dressage training to have through winter, etc etc. Going to keep her going (she's only done 5 events right at the tail end of the year) and she needs the work!
Thanks for reading. Rather marvellous coffee and tiffin (which I had today, crikey when you've been low-carbing all week that sugar is FUEL!!!) for anyone who got this far!

MegaBeast

Visit site
Well done! Excellent note to finish the season on, sounds like she's learnt heaps and you've learnt a lot about her too. Very impressed that you didin't boggle too much at the croquet set!

Gamebird

Visit site
Well done on the DC and the point :).

Have you ever considered that you might be colour blind? :p Either that or a few more carbs might help you concentrate better! :p :p

kerilli

Visit site
Oooh, do we get a Frivolous Point? I thought they were just for placings?!
I think I probably am a bit colourblind between orange and pink (am between black and navy, definitely), you have a point, must concentrate even more apparently...
Ta everyone, chuffed with her progress and attitude (sometimes!), not bad for a little horse who was pretty much written off by my back guy a few years ago... :) :) :)

Baydale

Visit site
Some very cute photos there, aren't young horses just The Best Thing ever for smiley moments? :D Sorry I didn't see you go xc but a blow by blow account of it from the commentator had to suffice. :rolleyes: Well done, and I'll see you at Sheepgate for stressage will I? And Arena UK for showjumpin'? Yep, can't wait, I have my thermal underwear at the ready.... :p

HotToTrot

Visit site
Well done and I love the colour-confusion! Have you added a colour differentiation course to your list of winter training must-haves?! Super way to finish off, clever Daisy.