Dales, Fells, Highlands

Depp_by_Chocolate

www.northeastequine.co.uk
Does anyone own / has owned one of these ponies?

After a long break from riding, I am about to get back into it with the goal of buying either a Dales, Fell or Highland next year. I have previously owned Traditionals and Welsh Cobs, so I am used to large native types.

I have a particular soft spot for Dales but being a 'rare' breed I find there is a better choice of Fell or Highland. I know that all 3 ponies are talented and up to the jobs I want them to do - M&M showing and breed showing, pleasure rides, hunter trials and especially dressage, also my very novice husband also wants to get involved, so said pony would need to be beginner friendly.

Anyway, I'm not asking what breed is the best, rather people's experience of these breeds and maybe which would be a better fit for us?

WrongLeg

Visit site
I have a Highland but I don't think I would get another unless I had heather grazing or an all-day job for the pony (stalking pony). Highlands are bred to eat heather and work: if they eat grass or hay, they get fat...so most Highlands are way too fat.

If you live in the Highlands and have hill grazing for the spring/summer, then Highlands are easy. Last December I turned my Highland out without a rug, -18 with 8" of snow and left her to dig for the grass underneath. After 2 weeks of freezing weather she had actually put on weight - not lost it.

The west-coast type Highlands are much more fun and versatile than the big Balmorality types - that's what I have, she's turbo-charged, loves to jump and very strong-willed but she's but not beginner friendly. Maybe an old-fashioned Highland (lighter) with an easier temperament? They are less easy to find especially if you live outside the Highlands.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
This is a recent thread too,

Depp_by_Chocolate

I have a Highland but I don't think I would get another unless I had heather grazing or an all-day job for the pony (stalking pony). Highlands are bred to eat heather and work: if they eat grass or hay, they get fat...so most Highlands are way too fat.

If you live in the Highlands and have hill grazing for the spring/summer, then Highlands are easy. Last December I turned my Highland out without a rug, -18 with 8" of snow and left her to dig for the grass underneath. After 2 weeks of freezing weather she had actually put on weight - not lost it.

The west-coast type Highlands are much more fun and versatile than the big Balmorality types - that's what I have, she's turbo-charged, loves to jump and very strong-willed but she's but not beginner friendly. Maybe an old-fashioned Highland (lighter) with an easier temperament? They are less easy to find especially if you live outside the Highlands.
Thank you, this is exactly the info I'm after. Very helpful.

millikins

Visit site
We have a Dales mare, she's our first Dales but daughter and I have had connies, Shetlands and an Eriskay, mainly mares. She's clever, beautiful, strong willed but kind. Took a long time to get her on side but fine now, she's one that you have to work with, try and push her around and she'll push straight back and there's a lot of her! In spirit she's a sister of the Eriskay. I think a novice might manage her ridden with supervision, she won't buck or run off but she'll plant if she's nervous of something, but I'm not sure she'd be suitable for a novice on the ground. Her son who we sold recently is so laid back he's almost horizontal, takes after his sire temperament wise. Unusually for a native she enjoys schooling within reason and loves a dressage arena or show ring.

SEL

Visit site
I've got an unregistered Dales - she can take me on a whizzy ride one day and then have my 7yo niece on the lead rein the next. In fact I'd trust her to take the niece hacking if she hung on!

But like most natives she is opinionated and her weight has to be managed. If humans vanished off the face of the earth tomorrow she'd look after herself just fine. I like the independence but it comes with a stubborn streak. I'd have another.

gallopingby

Visit site
I’ve had all three, they all come in similar heights and a range of widths although dales have a preferred height range of 14.2 they can be a little taller and some are quite a bit bigger.
A decent, well schooled one will be difficult to find and wont be cheap. Sometimes an option to consider a youngster if you know someone who can help you if required.
Dales were the ‘work’ horses of the north so in the past stabled and pulled out to do whatever job was required of them. Fells were all terrain 4WD vehicle used for shepherding, driving and a fly half day hunting. Like a lot of breeds there’s been a change in the type of fell pony seen in the show ring today and a lot are far too short backed to make decent ridden ponies, there are still some around but you need to look carefully abd don’t be fooled by hair and feather. Highlands are quite hard to find as people tend to keep them, the aren’t all the boring ploddy types that some people make them out to be. Some are stop / start others are turbo charged. The post on the highland ‘thug’ sums up their character well especially where food is concerned. My advice would be to have a wander round the breed shows and talk to as many different breeders as you can. They will all tell you different things%

Boulty

Visit site
Imagine a sentient bulldozer… that is a glimpse into the mind of a Highland pony! Why go around ANYTHING when you can go through? I wouldn’t trust mine with a Novice without grass reins and being physically attached to either a sturdy human or another horse or else he’d be dragging them to every blade of grass. Some are slightly better able to control their urge to stuff their face. He is also the least motivated pony I know and I’ve yet to find a discipline that he actually enjoys rather than puts up with. (he would like to clarify that he is perfectly well motivated by food but he still doesn’t see why he should have to do any work for it!)

Don’t get me wrong with someone who could remember one he could turn out a nice dressage test but progression of training has been a bit random shall we say. Not sure it’s entirely normal to be able to sidepass & have the start of walk pirouette, turns on the forehand etc but not be able to canter for more than about 5 or 6 strides because canter is effort & pony would rather not expend the energy!

I have known some people with some cracking Dales ponies over the years that have turned their hooves to allsorts but can understand they’re not always the easiest to find.

Depp_by_Chocolate

I’ve had all three, they all come in similar heights and a range of widths although dales have a preferred height range of 14.2 they can be a little taller and some are quite a bit bigger.
A decent, well schooled one will be difficult to find and wont be cheap. Sometimes an option to consider a youngster if you know someone who can help you if required.
Dales were the ‘work’ horses of the north so in the past stabled and pulled out to do whatever job was required of them. Fells were all terrain 4WD vehicle used for shepherding, driving and a fly half day hunting. Like a lot of breeds there’s been a change in the type of fell pony seen in the show ring today and a lot are far too short backed to make decent ridden ponies, there are still some around but you need to look carefully abd don’t be fooled by hair and feather. Highlands are quite hard to find as people tend to keep them, the aren’t all the boring ploddy types that some people make them out to be. Some are stop / start others are turbo charged. The post on the highland ‘thug’ sums up their character well especially where food is concerned. My advice would be to have a wander round the breed shows and talk to as many different breeders as you can. They will all tell you different things%
Yes, we're just starting to get out to breed shows and do stud visits, I am favouring the Dales although the Fell is a close second, the only thing is I don't know if my 5'10 husband will look silly on one, saying that I will be the primary rider.

I am considering a youngster as my Welsh Cobs / Traditional ranged from foal to 2 years and I've done groundwork, backing and schooling, so this wouldn't be a problem.

Depp_by_Chocolate

Imagine a sentient bulldozer… that is a glimpse into the mind of a Highland pony! Why go around ANYTHING when you can go through? I wouldn’t trust mine with a Novice without grass reins and being physically attached to either a sturdy human or another horse or else he’d be dragging them to every blade of grass. Some are slightly better able to control their urge to stuff their face. He is also the least motivated pony I know and I’ve yet to find a discipline that he actually enjoys rather than puts up with. (he would like to clarify that he is perfectly well motivated by food but he still doesn’t see why he should have to do any work for it!)

Don’t get me wrong with someone who could remember one he could turn out a nice dressage test but progression of training has been a bit random shall we say. Not sure it’s entirely normal to be able to sidepass & have the start of walk pirouette, turns on the forehand etc but not be able to canter for more than about 5 or 6 strides because canter is effort & pony would rather not expend the energy!

I have known some people with some cracking Dales ponies over the years that have turned their hooves to allsorts but can understand they’re not always the easiest to find.
I get the impression, Highlands require more work / effort? than the other large native breeds such as weight management and performance motivation?

Reactions: tda

suestowford

Visit site
Yes, we're just starting to get out to breed shows and do stud visits, I am favouring the Dales although the Fell is a close second, the only thing is I don't know if my 5'10 husband will look silly on one, saying that I will be the primary rider.
It depends on his body shape. If he has long legs he won't look odd at all as those round rib cages take up a lot of leg. If he is long in the body instead, he is going to look tall on any pony.

If a youngster is on the cards then there will be many of those on offer at the Fell pony sale in October.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
If you can find one, a nice traditional cob with a fair dash of dales in the make up might fit the bill? I think mine is the perfect combination of co-operation and clever, but then I am very biased having owned him for over 20 years!

tda

Visit site
I get the impression, Highlands require more work / effort? than the other large native breeds such as weight management and performance motivation?
I don't think so, you just have to appreciate the mentality of these native ponies, keep them in a way that suits them, be firm but fair.
Probably the same with other breeds, some are dead easy, pick up and put down types, but if you get one who is tricky to manage you're not working them hard enough 😁

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I've no experience with Dale's or Fells but Highlands - I have converted a few friends to them after they've seen/ridden mine.
She's nothing fancy but she tries for you (unless she has her own route in mind) and we've had tons of fun trying various disciplines over the years.

I can put 4 Yr old beginner on her off lead rein in arena, 14 Yr old that is fairly novice can do a 60cm show jumping course with her steadily and then she'll whiz round the same course/height with me.

I don't think they're harder weight wise than other natives. My New Forest is much, much harder to control weight. I've been on yards wirh rich grass and currently on a yard that field used to be a golf course many, many years ago.

I think going and looking at any individuals of each of the breeds is your best bet and seeing them in person to see what your thoughts are.
Maybe see if any riding places near you have any of the breeds so you can have a sit on and see how it feels.

Reactions: tda