Dalmatians - help and tips in choosing a breeder and pup

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
Well I am finally in the position where I can get a dog! My job is changing and as a result I will now be in a position to give the time to a dog, as I have always wanted to.

There are two breeds I am interested in, but the long held dream for me has been a dalmatian. I have done a lot of research into the breed, and am aware of the impact the films in the early 90s had in terms of indiscriminate breeding.

My circumstances now mean that a dog will be with me all day and I'll have the time for 3 long walks a day, plus local agility classes.

I'd love to hear from other dalmatian owners (with pictures if you can!) about how they found their spotty dog, and who from etc. if there are any names to avoid, especially in the East Anglia region, please let me know by pm. As well as being healthy and a good example of the breed, temperament is very important to me, and I know in a good dalmatian that temperament is everything.

Thanks!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Now you'll just need the pony and carriage too ;)

Alison_Danny_fenixweb.jpg

Milanesa

Visit site
Just to say my sister got a Dalmatian from a local rescue a few weeks ago, I know everyone bangs on about rescues but it could be worth a go ? She was on their email list and they let her know when suitable dogs come in. She is now a very happy owner of a 12 mth old Dalmatian who didn't have a great start in life. X

jakkibag

Visit site
I am owned by two very spotty dogs, I found both my pups by picking breeders from the Dalmatian uk Puppy list, both were recommended and KC reg,
puppy list-
http://www.britishdalmatianclub.org..../puppylist.pdf
There is lots of helpful tips and advice on their forum, worth joining if you are thinking of getting one, They can be hard work, and arent really like any other dog ive met, but i wouldnt be without them, good with the horses, good noisy gaurd dogs, and good at cuddles! they can be very energetic and very clever, they can also have inherited deafness, both mine were hearing tested as pups and have normal hearing (although they have seriously selective hearing when it comes to chasing bunnies etc) , but if buying a puppy i would make sure this was done.
One of my boys is black and the other liver.

vaoa9.jpg

Onefortheteam

Visit site
I bought mine the naughty way! (Preloved equivalent site) but she is pedigree from working stock, from a fairly well known carriage driver!
Just go to see them with eyes fully open (yours not theirs!) mine wasn't Baer tested so I did lots of sound testing and other than her dalmatian selective hearing she's fine!

Before I get lynched, I'm not advocating what I did, but it worked out fine for me!

She is little for a bitch and isn't stocky! She's far more of a whippet shape than the typical dally shape!
Here's my little pretty one:
image_zps7efd248a.jpg

image_zps9760d096.jpg

image_zpsbc7a4595.jpg

Last edited:

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
Thanks all. I had looked at champ dogs but I hadnt heard of it as a website and so wasn't sure how much I could rely on it. I'll have a good gander this weekend, and I'll also check out the forum.

Thanks for the piccies too - they are all beautiful! I've got in mind that I would prefer a bitch first. I'm aware that the makes can be more sensitive or headstrong, and females can be an easier introduction to owning the breed, so that is what I am going for.

I'll let you all know whether it goes ahead, and if it does I will of course be posting pictures!!!

Orangehorse

Visit site
My sister had a lovely dalmation, but she had lots and lots of exercise when she was young, they are very energetic.
I once was up at Braham Three Day Event and someone said "Oh, you are from ................ I reckonised your dog!"

However, one of my best friends, a real animal lover, said the worst dog they ever had was a dalmation, it was a neurotic, and virtually untrainable (and this is someone who trained a couple of very naughty dogs to come to call). Also there is a lady who lives close by and I saw her walking her 2 dalmations down the lane, so I rushed out to say "Oh I had a dalmation" and she warned me not to get close as the dog is "very protective." And I saw her out the other day when I was walking my little dog and I noticed that she hid out of the way until we had gone past. So obviously her dog is a nightmare and will go for people and other dogs!

So the moral of this story is be very, very careful who you get the puppy from and see both parents in a proper home environment.

Our dalmation bitch was a wonderful dog, though, absolutely everything that you would want - easy to train, good natured, happy and a good guard dog.

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
My sister had a lovely dalmation, but she had lots and lots of exercise when she was young, they are very energetic.
I once was up at Braham Three Day Event and someone said "Oh, you are from ................ I reckonised your dog!"

However, one of my best friends, a real animal lover, said the worst dog they ever had was a dalmation, it was a neurotic, and virtually untrainable (and this is someone who trained a couple of very naughty dogs to come to call). Also there is a lady who lives close by and I saw her walking her 2 dalmations down the lane, so I rushed out to say "Oh I had a dalmation" and she warned me not to get close as the dog is "very protective." And I saw her out the other day when I was walking my little dog and I noticed that she hid out of the way until we had gone past. So obviously her dog is a nightmare and will go for people and other dogs!

So the moral of this story is be very, very careful who you get the puppy from and see both parents in a proper home environment.

Our dalmation bitch was a wonderful dog, though, absolutely everything that you would want - easy to train, good natured, happy and a good guard dog.

Thanks :) I'm aware that a lot of indiscriminate breeding went on after the films came out and it lead to negative traits in some dogs as you have described.

Apart from health, temperament is very important to me, so I will be making sure I see the parents in home environments and also any pups they have to see what they are like too. I don't mind energy as I'll have the time to deal with that :)

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
I can't message you for some reason - can you message me first so I can reply?

I'm in Norfolk, just south of Norwich. My preference is for a bitch. The long held dream was to have a black spot from a pup, but I will consider older ones but they have to be cat friendly and people friendly.

Suec04

Visit site
We have a black spot dally. she is a complete nutter and definitely has selective hearing. :D She pretends to not know how to sit, stay and acts daft etc but give her a filled bone and she will take it of the top of the stairs and knock it down so that the filling comes out! clever girlie.:) She is very affectionate, has boundless energy and loves her home comforts. in fact she hogs the radiator in the winter!. but, would I have another?? nope! lol. but we love her loads and wouldn't be without her now. We got her from a breeder in Wales. She is a pedigree too. I think your set up will suit a dally perfectly :)

fine_and_dandy

Visit site
We have a black spot dally. she is a complete nutter and definitely has selective hearing. :D She pretends to not know how to sit, stay and acts daft etc but give her a filled bone and she will take it of the top of the stairs and knock it down so that the filling comes out! clever girlie.:) She is very affectionate, has boundless energy and loves her home comforts. in fact she hogs the radiator in the winter!. but, would I have another?? nope! lol. but we love her loads and wouldn't be without her now. We got her from a breeder in Wales. She is a pedigree too. I think your set up will suit a dally perfectly :)

Thank you! I'm looking into breeders at the moment and am hoping to go and visit a few over next few weeks. I'm quite excited about having a spotty best friend with me every day :)

paulineh

Visit site
They are great dogs. I got one from the RSPCA a few years ago. He was a lovely boy and would come out with me and the horses. They were bred as carriage horses so were use to trotting for miles either next to the carriage or just behind the rear axil