Dalmations?

kandm

Visit site
As some of you know we (my family and I) had to have our lovely lab Berkeley pts.

Now by know means are we thinking of getting another dog yet - we have all decided to leave it for atleast 2-3months to see if we really want another one, also we don't just want to go out and replace him, as he is unreplaceable (sp).

Anyway, we are starting to consider what sort of breed of dog (if we had another dog) that would be suitable and nice. We have chickens running around the garden, two cats, gerbils, guinea-pigs, a haris hawk (which is normally on a perch (sp) in the garden throughout the day (the perch is about 5ft3 off the ground, so would be difficult to get to if a dog jumped up), and ofcourse the horses.

Has anyone had any experience with dalmations? Do they make good pets? All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance
laugh.gif

GinaB

Visit site
In my experience dalmations require experienced handling. They have boundless energy and need to be mentally challenged and well exercised. And the ones I know are all very vocal
crazy.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I've always been told that Dalmations can be a little temperamental - and perhaps not a dog to have around kids.

kandm

Visit site
Thats good to know - I mean I'm 14, and my other sister is 17 and Jen's 22, so I wouldn't say we were kids, well i sort of am. But my little cousins, under 10, always come round. Thanks for the advice
laugh.gif

Michelle73

Visit site
I had a Dalmatian for 12 years, had him from 6wks old. He was my best friend.

They have endless engergy and they are puppies from birth to around 10 years old then they slow down slightly but all of a sudden get old.

They need anything up to 4hours a day exercise and the more you give them the easier your life will be. She sleep for 5 mins and are ready to go again.

If you have a dally from a pup and introduce it to all your animals and the children it will be fine. Mine wasn't introduced to children until he was around 3years old so I never trusted him with children. He has been around sheep, chickens, horses etc. He is a natural around horses as they were bred to run for miles and miles under the carriages in the days of horse and carriage. He would give chase to chickens and cats but back off once they stood up to him. He never caught one and was actually terrified of cats.

Personality wise - they talk to you - you will always know what they are thinking and what they want!!! They like lots of toys and mine loved complicated ones like he had a bone that you had to pull the rings off and also a cube that you had to take the balls out of.

He knew he had to ask if he could sit on the sofa and wasn't allowed on it unless I invited him and the same with my bed. He was a truly fantastic dog and I was told on many occassions that he was "well behaved for a dally"

They are extremely hard work but equally rewarding. Set very very clear boundaries from day one and you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck.

Foxfolly

Visit site
yep , bred to be a carriage dog so should have plenty of energy but also should have a guarding instink, can have hip probs so make sure parents are scored. Had one once that had to be put to sleep for biting young child, he was on his own property and was guarding it. By the way this not Foxfolly but her OH.

TangoCurly

Visit site
As well as hip problems a lot of them can be deaf - not just selective deafness either! they are great fun, but mad as the hills and need A LOT of exercise. After a lab, a dalmation would be a big change, they are a lot harder to train - just think about it, you never see a dalmation being a guide dog or doing agility classes!

they are fab though.

bye!

Michelle73

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
As well as hip problems a lot of them can be deaf - not just selective deafness either! they are great fun, but mad as the hills and need A LOT of exercise. After a lab, a dalmation would be a big change, they are a lot harder to train - just think about it, you never see a dalmation being a guide dog or doing agility classes!

they are fab though.

bye!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, they're used as fire mascots in the USA to teach children to crawl out under smoke in a fire. I believe they've been used as disabled dogs in the USA as well. Although they're difficult to train as long as you give them the the right training they will do anything. However, in agreement with everyone else - training is much more difficult. I'd grown up with German Shepherds and Dobermans and a Dalmatian was a complete shocking change for me!!! I vowed when he was alive that I would never have another Dally, but I saw one out walking the other day and I knew I definately would. Their personality is so rewarding.

CheziBrown

Visit site
My Mum has one and he is fab ! Like everyone else has said though need endless amounts of exercise. They were used as carriage dogs so can run all day !!

I have a 4 year old and he is brill with him.

However if you do get one they mault all the time - everything you own will be covered in white hair !

rocketdog69

Visit site
Hi there

I have two Dalamtions, one is liver spotted and 10 nd half years old, the other one is a huge blackspotted who is almost 9.

In all the years i have had them, I havent doubted their temperament with children once or grown ups once.

Yes they are energetic but if on the rare occasion I am home all day they just sleep!

I walk them twice a day off the lead for no more than half an hour usually and they are very fit and healthy. As long as you dont feed them too much they will stay healthy for longer. My eldest looks as good now as he did when he went to Crufts years ago.

You need to be able to faintly see their ribs when they move and they will stay happy for years.

They make great pets and i wouldnt hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

They are not difficult to train and I have known people to do agility and obedience classes with them.

Only downfall is they like your bed and your sofa as much as you do!!!

Hope this helps

Ashkadog

Visit site
I used to have a Dal but unfortunately he was PTS when he was 3 from Kidney failure. I loved him to pieces but he was hard work. I got myself into trouble so much sticking up for him or trying to cover up what he had done from my OH. I used to work on a hunting yard and he came out on 3 rides a day and would still try and p**s off at the end only coming back when the game keeper brought him home threatening to shoot the b*****d if he caught him on his land again. He loved him really cause he brought him back every time!