Damage to branch of suspensory ligament prognosis for working life

tb gal

Visit site
My pony mare went slightly lame behind , sound after 1 week boxrest, lame again, sound after another week is so then lame again. I could see and feel it though some onlookers could not. I had vet out after 1 st time, then off to get clinic of nerve blocks xrays and scans. She has a small space full of fluid in suspended ligament where it branches down inside fetlock on a back leg. She is on 3 to 6 months box rest with in hand walking building up from 20 mins per day. shockwave therapy and cortasan injections. Vets prognosis good chance of coming back to same level of work. We dis Trec GB, dressage and long distance . Fortunately her son has won lots so she has a future in loan as a brood mare if she doesn't come sound but I just want to be back competing with her. Advice and other people's experience with this would be welcome.

Ceriann

Visit site
We are 4 months post diagnosis of a medial branch suspensory injury (left hind). Linked psd in left fore. We did 6 weeks box rest with limited walks of 5 minutes (x 2) a day, building up over time. At 6 weeks scan we had improvement so she was allowed to turnout but in a small (roughly 20x20) paddock. We continued in hand walking building up to 30 mins x2 a day. 12 week scan was really good and vet very positive and said I could get back on with very slow build up - having only for another 3 months. Small paddock turnout to continue. I’ve also taken shoes off (as feet are a potential factor here). I’ve stalled a bit last couple of weeks - my work mainly but starting to walk again (and in reality I think the short break has helped as she was very chilled and more confident on rougher ground) and saddler will finally come out Friday (delay has been my fault!). Vet is optimistic, provided I’m prepared to play the long game, that she will recover. I would suggest you look at some tummy support whilst on rest - mine has developed ulcers. Take it slow and very best of luck.

Carrottom

Visit site
My Tb inured his hind suspensory ligament aged 11. He had 4 months box rest with controlled exercise. Walking in hand for 4 weeks, under saddle for another 4 weeks and gradually introducing trotting, building up to 1 1/2 hour hacks. I didn't turn him away at all, just kept gradually increasing the exercise - steady canters building up to slow gallops and little jumps.
He is 18 now and has never had a problem with that leg although there is still a very small swelling where the damage was. That leg will fill slightly if he is kept in overnight.

Ceriann

Visit site
Btw I was led to believe shockwave and injections had no real scientific support for branch injuries. I wasn’t insured and vet advised not try these given lack of evidence.

spacefaer

Visit site
Suspensories take time to heal - ligaments don't have a great blood supply - don't rush - do the rehab slowly, and it should be fine.

I had a client's horse with a hind suspensory injury - he was 3/10ths lame with it. He had shockwave therapy - he was mid teens at the time, and he came plenty sound enough - competed Adv Med and went back to eventing. Don't know about scientific proof - it was a pretty new treatment at the time, but it definitely worked, and wasn't that expensive.