damn, I thought things were going too well this year

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
This morning Xena was found dead in the field. She was a late foal and although exquisite and beautifully moving she was far smaller than I had expected her to be. The last week or so we had talked about putting a winter foal rug on her as she didn't seem to be as rtough as the rest of the foals, quite delicate looking.
We haven't a clue why she died, she was actually seen three times yesterday, once early morning, once when her dam refused to allow P to catche her to have the farrier trim her she cantered round fine then) and late yesterday evening when the owners of Solstice came to see their yearling and she was fine.
Early this moning she was just dead where she had fallen under an overhanging hedge. her gums are pink, she has no diarhorrea, she was too young to worm but her dam was wormed up to date etc, so not a clue. We have checked for poisonous plants (none) lightning (why just one foal?) and all we can think of is some genetic fault meaning she had perhaps a hole in the heart or something wrong like that. She definitely hadn't grown as much as I expected so perhaps that was something showing an unseen problem.
Any suggestions welcomed. We won't have a pm as it is more money down the drain.
We are all pretty sad as she was a beautiful foal but we have four left so must concentrate on them.
I think the dam is in foal again (haven't scanned her as she missed the date we scanned on) but if not we will try again next year.
Sometimes breeding horses is very sad.

Tia

Visit site
Oh god no! Aww HH after what has happened you'd think you were due for a break! I'm so sorry.
frown.gif

MissDeMeena

Visit site
So very very sorry for you!
frown.gif

I'm not sure about the whole believing in god thing.. but if he is up there, he sure as hell is one unfair guy!!
We have also had a pretty shitty year.. it's getting to mum esp.. only being made worse with thoughts of 'what have we done to deserve all this'...

Here's to next year.. may we put everything behind us.. cos we are all sure owed some success next year!!

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
Really sorry for you. You say she wasn't doing as well as the others so your probably right that there was something wrong. Not worth wasting money on a pm if you think it was something internal. Hope the others are ok and the dam is doing alright. x

henryhorn

No, thanks for posting the pics. She definitely was smaller than I would have thought and I think I can reasonably rule out worms, especially as for the last eight weeks they have been on pasture which is grazed only those eight weeks a year, then clean pasture here. I am however going to do some worm counts just to be sure. The foals get wormed at four months of age, and their dams regularly.
I think because she hadn't grown there must have been something like a heart problem which as she reached a certain size just couldn't cope. I will talk with our vet but it's one of those sad things breeders have to cope with. Thanks guys for your sympathy and support.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
What awful news. We had a calf which was smaller than the others this year and it had internal problems. We fed it more and dosed it with meds but nothing seemed to work then finding that out it became clear.

Bossanova

Visit site
Oh no, terrible news HH poor little baby and she was such a stunning little thing
frown.gif

At least you have the prospect of a new horse to take your mind off it- and how is the lovely Matinee one getting on?

Mooch

photobucket.com
HH, so sorry to here of your sad loss.

It sounds like you might be right about a heart defect, or something along those lines, especially if she hadn't grown as you had expected her too.

No matter what the cause it always comes as such a shock and I think the not knowing is worse.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Rest in peace little one.

henryhorn

It was a hell of a shock as it hadn't shown any signs other than being a bit small, it was a very late foal and was just 9 weeks old..
We have decided to leave Jacques the Matinee horse until the spring. Mentally he just isn't ready to start work, and we don't normally ever start them at 3, but C fancied the Burghley classes, and now they have stopped, seems daft to carry on early. He has been lunged in tack, long reined, leaned over lots of times and led out in traffic, so it should be easy to pick him up and carry on in Spring. C is so excited about Layla as compared to Monty she is a delight. EEventers have him up at £7500 which is masses more than we asked for him, but he is a truly difficult horse to ride and I think they will struggle to sell him. In the pics on their site he looks lit up and very tense and tight.
If they make a huge profit good luck to them!
Layla arrives on the 11th, plenty of time for her cold to have gone completely as she is now only doing the odd cough every other day. C has been riding her every day and she has improved so quickly! She jumped her over a Xc fence in the field earlier this week and she never even looked at it, just took it out of her stride.
They have a nice chesnut four year old there for sale at £4500 who has a big jump and looks true event material. We just fell in love with the mare, even though he appears the better horse of the two. I think how you feel on board counts a lot, and she loved her.
It's funny this evening no mattter what i do I keep thinking about that poor foal and the mare stood guard over her. We always leave them a day to grieve and adjust, once the mare wanders off we can then remove the foal.
In twenty five years we only ever lost twin foals and one still birth before, last year we lost two and this year one!! I could have expected it at birth but nine weeks later?
P and C are off to Stockland Lovell tomorrow, so quiet day here, I won't be happy checking the horses in case there are more nasty shocks
frown.gif

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Sorry to hear about the foal Henryhorn, it is total shitt#er.
Seeing as you have been breeding for so long, did you ever have any twins back in the day?
Just within my memory I can remember a mare we had that always did. Everyone would be full of hope, then another one would appear.