Damn Jogger!

AliJo

Visit site
Just been hacking along a country lane when I heard the sound of running from behind so I turned round to see a Jogger heading towards us. I thought my pony had heard him too but no, apparently not, as the next thing I know she's bolted forwards and would not stop until we were quite some way away. This was quite a shock as normally its quite an effort to get her to canter LOL. Anyway the man just said in a casual voice 'should I walk past you now?' I think I must have been in shock because I just answered 'yes please, and next time could you please warn us that you're coming'. There were no apologies or concern from him and I just can't believe how polite I was to him. I'm so glad it happened on a quiet lane away from any traffic or people.
shocked.gif

TGM

Visit site
Must have been a shock for you, but you can't really blame the jogger. If, as you say, you turned round as he approached he would have assumed you had seen him and were prepared for him to come past. At least he offered to walk past you afterwards!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
have to say I agree with TGM and kayleigh. Joggers aren't exactly noisy cars are they? They have as much right to be jogging as you do to be trotting. Now, horses trotting down the road terrifies my daughter (it's the noise) but I don't tell people they can't trot. next time I suggest you turn the horse to see the jogger, so you know she's seen it. That's what i do, always ensure your horse isnt startled by anything.

GTs

Visit site
I agree you can't blame the jogger - the roads are not ours, we have to share. Seems like many horse riders fail to see that!

jinglejoys

Visit site
"Joggers aren't exactly noisy cars are they?"
Its the "silent" things that freak my lot out the most and you were lucky to hear him! I don't normally know there's a jogger,or worse,a cyclist there until my animal starts to react so I always watch the ears carefully (Mind you they are beautiful ears!
grin.gif
)
Why can't these silent road uysers warn you and smile and talk as they whizz past? Motor bikers usually do and they slow down too

JACQSZOO

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Its the "silent" things that freak my lot out the most and you were lucky to hear him! I don't normally know there's a jogger,or worse,a cyclist there until my animal starts to react so I always watch the ears carefully (Mind you they are beautiful ears!
grin.gif
)
Why can't these silent road uysers warn you and smile and talk as they whizz past? Motor bikers usually do and they slow down too

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone said - often they do not realise that their silent approach causes a problem. I have often found that simply explaining to them the problem and asking them extremely politely to shout a warning as they approach is all thats needed. It is simply ignorance and a need for education - do it politely and with respect and the cast majority of people are only to willing to oblige.

GTs

Visit site
I think a lot of his heartache many horse riders have could be solved by more desensitizing of their horses - I think far too many of you expect far to much from other road users, and do too little yourself.

AliJo

Visit site
O.K I realise now that he may have seen me look behind and so thought it was o.k to keep going... but don't agree with you saying that I should expect my horse to be fearful of nothing before venturing out as all horses are unpredictable at times. My horse hasn't spooked at anything since I had her over a year ago and is as bombproof as they come otherwise I probably wouldn't ride out alone.

filly190

Visit site
Non horsey people just dont realise how a horse can be frightened. In his mind, he has done nothing wrong. If I hear a jogger coming up behind me, I turn round and shout "hello, your ok to pass", just to make them speak so my horse is prepared. Of course you dont always hear them.

I find cylists the most trouble, they ride in groups and wont slow down. I often shout, "can you slow down please" and end up getting a load of abuse. I think of them as lycra louts.

Oaksflight

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Its the "silent" things that freak my lot out the most and you were lucky to hear him!

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha that's so true with mine. Gun shot went off whilst in school tonight, fine, 5 seconds later light flickers off and he jumps?!

However, as much as I normally don't like joggers as they're complete arses towards dogs, and just run out into the road when you're driving along, we do have to share, and it's riders being arsey towards them which results in the idiots that beep horns at horses trying to scare them.

Mithras

Visit site
The runner had as much right to be there as you, maybe he was thinking "damned horserider, thinks she owns the lane", although since he was polite probably not. I fail to see what he could have done, other than not exist, since you noticed him and were presumably prepared.

Other track users are just one of the (milder) hazards you can expect to come across when hacking out and one that the average horse and rider should be capable of dealing with without it becoming a huge issue. I get scared of being seen as a hoity toity horserider thinking themselves superior to everyone else and I'm glad you were polite. I often ride on a disused railway line track and it is full of cyclists and runners, I'm probably more of a nuisance to them as its not very wide. My 7 year old spooked forward a few times at first when they came up behind her but it didn't particularly bother me and its amazing how quickly they get used to this sort of thing once they realise nothing bad is going to happen and the rider isn't going to get upset or worked up.

H-J

www.piczo.com
I agree the jogger wasnt really doing anything wrong, yes horses dont like things like that but we have to share so its the risk we take when we go out that our horse may spook.