Damned annoyed WWYD ?

maisiemoo

Visit site
Basically when we went to southern border collie champ show 3 weeks ago we won both classes [ or rather my 13 year old daughter did ] in the 2nd class was a huge face who to my knowledge has only been beat once with that particular dog , ob we came 1st and him 2nd , was amazed and shocked , but our boy was a worthy winner , has done plenty of winning in his first year of showing, his conformation is fantastic and as a result moves really well , anyway we are not a face in the breed at all , we went to East anglian bc champ show today , and our dogs breeder came straight over to us to tell us that the man we beat made a complaint to the committee at the southern show , saying he had been beat by a dog that was ' not fit for function ' , breeder is very angry as we now are , this bloke is not very popular and famed for his bad attitude if beat, so tempted to ask him nicely why he thinks my dog is not fit for function , fine if he was hopping lame , but he most certainly wasn't . Other's think he see's our dog as a threat and is trying to put us of going to shows , would you ask him or just leave it ? sorry it's long , oh he also complained that the judge had'nt gone over his dog properly !

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I think I would just ignore him. Presumably the show committee have taken no further action so imagine he will be left looking pretty foolish. Did he complain to the judge that they hadn't gone over his dog properly, because any decent judge would give short shrift to this sort of complaint, and if the chap had been in any way confrontational they would have been justified in reporting him to the KC.
It sounds as if he has quite a reputation, don't let him put you off, carry on going to shows and beating him.:p

SusieT

Visit site
I'd ignore it as no point in stirring! You know that your dog is fine so don't be put off...

maisiemoo

Visit site
Nothing. If anything I would find it hard not to smirk if I saw him again. Sore loser.

Thanks guys. Told my daughter he see's Blaze as a threat, Best in show last weekend and Reserve best in show yesterday , can't be that much wrong with him :p

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'd be inclined to greet him warmly at the next show..."Hi! How are you? Have you done anything else since that show when you were reserve to ours? I'm so pleased how things are going this year, people keep telling me how lovely he is...witter witter..." See if you can get actual steam to come out of his ears or his skintone to turn green!

Or be more mature and ignore!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Your experience just highlights the problem of certain people not accepting the judges decision.
One of the reasons why my dad gave up judging after many years of listening to people complaining when an unknown won.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
First of all very well done and as for that dreadful man I would just ignore it, dont let him put you off and just carry on doing what you are doing and thats winning:)

Last edited:

Skippys Mum

Visit site
Your dog sounds lovely! Get out and do the herding test then he cant complain your dog isnt fit for purpose :D

satinbaze

Visit site
Definatly ignore the man, sounds like he knows yours is a better dog. If he had lodged an offical complaint I think you would have heard by now as I think the Kennel Club have to inform you within 2 weeks of the complaint.
I would also NEVER enter under this man as a judge. By doing this not only are you voicing your opnion with your feet but potentially preserving your dog. I know some judges have been known to roughly handle dogs they see as a threat. One friend of mine had her dog really spooked by a judged that squeezed the dogs balls so hard the dog spun round to move away!!!!!
Also how about considering training for the herding test then he will undoubtly be "fit for function" just like Woody (CH Littlethorn Colt at Tobermory)
Anyway congrats with your dog and continue to have fun

lottiepony

Visit site
The best option is to 'kill them with niceness' :p be polite and friendly as possible when you come across him again. It annoys the hell out of people and makes you look the bigger and better person lol well done with your dog sounds like your having an amazing time :)

maisiemoo

Visit site
Great idea on doing the herding test, was fantastic to see Littlethorn colt get made up :), Blaze is starting his agility career shortly , club secretary is putting a feature on him in the next club newsletter along with photo's of him doing agility , Just found out that the horrid little man tore up his first place ring card yesterday and refused the reserve cc !! , he has been reported to the KC. personally i think he should be banned from judging cruft's next year !

Last edited:

Billabongchick

Visit site
Excuse me for my ignorance as I have a Welsh Border Collie but I wanted to clarify something; I thought that there was no Breed Society as such for BC's as there had been resistance to this due to the working nature of the dogs and people wanting to keep the working characteristics pure (over breeding to look pretty so to speak.) Or is this a non breed society class that you did (well done by the way!) and is it just based on judging a good working type dog that is 'true to type' and capable of doing a job? Just wondered; too late for me now as my boy is getting on a bit now but I thought the only showing options for BC's were working or agility classes?! Thanks

maisiemoo

Visit site
Excuse me for my ignorance as I have a Welsh Border Collie but I wanted to clarify something; I thought that there was no Breed Society as such for BC's as there had been resistance to this due to the working nature of the dogs and people wanting to keep the working characteristics pure (over breeding to look pretty so to speak.) Or is this a non breed society class that you did (well done by the way!) and is it just based on judging a good working type dog that is 'true to type' and capable of doing a job? Just wondered; too late for me now as my boy is getting on a bit now but I thought the only showing options for BC's were working or agility classes?! Thanks

Pretty sure [ as we are new to the breed ] that they have'nt long been recognised as show dogs , classes at shows are the same as any other breed, puppy , junior , post grad etc, at breed shows they have special classes for working collies , if the club puts them on , there are border collie clubs all over the country now , the breed standard states that the border collie should still be fit and sound as in able to do the job the breed is bred for , as with most breeds they differ greatly and not all lines prob fit the bill , it's nice to see dogs that still work and look good in the show ring, we have no sheep but choose to compete agility , Blaze was bought for my daughter to run at agility as she kept pinching my boy off me , his showing career will be 2nd to his agility when he is old enough to compete , hope that has made sense :)

maisiemoo

Visit site
Should also state that their are Working sheepdogs and their are Border collies , in the show ring you will find ISDS collies [ International sheepdog society ] as well as show lines .

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Yes there are KC registered border collies, and lots of them. They have been recognised by the KC since probably the late 70s.

Maisiemoo, sounds like he has shown his true colours, the KC tend to come down quite hard on unsportsmanlike behaviour, with any luck he will be banned.

s4sugar

Visit site
Ah ok, thank you; so there is still no such thing as a Kennel Club registered Border Collie?

The kennel club has registered Border Collies for around 30 years. Working sheepdog is the term used for unregistered ones doing agility but ISDS (International sheep dog society) collies can be registered with the KC.

Billabongchick

Visit site
The kennel club has registered Border Collies for around 30 years. Working sheepdog is the term used for unregistered ones doing agility but ISDS (International sheep dog society) collies can be registered with the KC.

Thank you; I was a bit out of date there then!