Damp Breeze Block wall - stables - Recomendations please

Queenbee

Visit site
Hi there,

The Beast is at a lovely yard in a big barn. However, the barn has breeze block walls, these get damp and I have about a foot of damp bed around the stable. I am looking for some kind of sealant paint I can use once he goes out at night ready for prepping the stable for next winter. Does anyone have any reccomendations please?

smolmaus

Visit site
My OH used something like this at work
https://www.toolstation.com/everbuild-202-integral-liquid-waterproofer/p80460

It was pretty effective and stopped the damp coming in the breeze blocks.
This would work if the yard owner was okay with them rendering the wall as it's a mortar additive.

My first thought was something like this which is more like a paint. Still cement based but comes ready to use with just added water. Can also vouch for the SIKA technical dept being very helpful if you need guidance.

Queenbee

Visit site
No idea what you can use but where is the damp coming from? What is against the wall on the outside? That may be a better fix to remove the problem if you can?

The yard owner has agreed for me to paint the stable but I won't be painting his entire barn, TBH I am not sure he would be OK with me painting the outside anyway.

Peglo

Visit site
We put rubber matting on our breeze blocks for protection mostly but certainly don’t get any damp coming through. We did have stuff up against the wall before we turned that bit into a stable and it did get a bit damp

Asha

Visit site
Theres a fantastic on the market, we have got in for a few of our customers on special orders. It provides a really good waterproof membrane. Its similar to bitumen, but much much better. Its designed to cover damp areas of steel/concrete. It comes in black. Look up RIW LAC.

Parlour paint is good, but with breeze block not ideal, as it can lift if damp gets underneath/behind it.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
I used to have a breeze block stable which I painted with a rubberised paint, but it was on the outside wall, not the inner. It worked very well but I'm not sure if it would on the inside wall, may just create condensation?
You'll probably have damp seeping in at ground level too. A concrete fillet at about a 30degree angle to the wall/ground then painted with RIW or similar will stop that if it is possible for you to do that.
If you put rubber mats on the wall I think you will need a void between the wall and the mats, otherwise I think you may get mould growth in between. I know when we put rubber floor mats at the front of one stable there was a bad smell and when we took the mats up there was mould growing under them. they had only been down a short time and was just caused by a bit of rain blowing in by the doorway.
Walls and floors need to breath.
I move my bedding round on a regular basis to stop mould growth around the outside edges.
Do hope you can get it sorted.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
The yard owner has agreed for me to paint the stable but I won't be painting his entire barn, TBH I am not sure he would be OK with me painting the outside anyway.

It wouldn't necessarily be painting though, we had a similar issue with the field shelter caused by a leaking gutter in one place and a pile of earth against the other side of the wall in another.

Lady Jane

Visit site
I was thinking was there raised earth or something on the outside above the damp course you could dig away? You definitely don't want to be painting the entire barn wall!

Winters100

Visit site
I was thinking was there raised earth or something on the outside above the damp course you could dig away? You definitely don't want to be painting the entire barn wall!

Lady Jane is correct, this is one of the most common causes of damp, and the easiest to fix. Is the damp more noticeable lower down? Usually rising damp reaches 70 to 100 cm, although can go higher. I am wondering if it could be condensation if it is a barn and the doors and windows are closed? You can usually tell as rising damp is worse in wet weather, but condensation not.

Queenbee

Visit site
Lady Jane is correct, this is one of the most common causes of damp, and the easiest to fix. Is the damp more noticeable lower down? Usually rising damp reaches 70 to 100 cm, although can go higher. I am wondering if it could be condensation if it is a barn and the doors and windows are closed? You can usually tell as rising damp is worse in wet weather, but condensation not.
I would say this is definately not condensation, it *may be rising damp* although there is nothing really on the outside of the wall, it's just wall. We are in Cumbria and that wall is the one that get's battered by the elements.

Don't get me wrong, the internal partition get's wet too, but that again isn't condensation... its the neighbouring horse owner putting limited bedding down that doesn't soak her horses pee up enough.

Winters100

Visit site
I would say this is definately not condensation, it *may be rising damp* although there is nothing really on the outside of the wall, it's just wall. We are in Cumbria and that wall is the one that get's battered by the elements.

Don't get me wrong, the internal partition get's wet too, but that again isn't condensation... its the neighbouring horse owner putting limited bedding down that doesn't soak her horses pee up enough.

Well for rising damp there does not have to be anything on the outside of the wall, there are generally 2 reasons:

1. Failure of the damp proof course
or
2. Some mound of earth outside which is bringing moisture above the damp proof course

If the internal partition is also damp that is interesting. I cannot imagine that inadequate bedding does this, as there would simply not be enough pee to make it damp.

What is the age of the building? And what are the internal partitions made of? Do you observe any 'lines' indicating where the damp has been? I am assuming that it is a concrete floor? I am wondering if there might be no damp proof course between the hardcore and the slab, which now I think about it would be very common in barns, and is probably the answer. Is it worse in wet weather?

You may want to purchase a cheap moisture meter to see where the problem is before trying to remedy it. I will also think about it.

Queenbee

Visit site
I do have the concern that painting would cause the paint to bubble from the wet underneath, whatever I do do, my plan will be to use a sealant around the bottom of the walls to ensure water doesn't get in at the bottom, I can't totally moisture proof the stable but I can reduce it for sure

Queenbee

Visit site
Well for rising damp there does not have to be anything on the outside of the wall, there are generally 2 reasons:

1. Failure of the damp proof course
or
2. Some mound of earth outside which is bringing moisture above the damp proof course

If the internal partition is also damp that is interesting. I cannot imagine that inadequate bedding does this, as there would simply not be enough pee to make it damp.

What is the age of the building? And what are the internal partitions made of? Do you observe any 'lines' indicating where the damp has been? I am assuming that it is a concrete floor? I am wondering if there might be no damp proof course between the hardcore and the slab, which now I think about it would be very common in barns, and is probably the answer. Is it worse in wet weather?

You may want to purchase a cheap moisture meter to see where the problem is before trying to remedy it. I will also think about it.

Trust me, there is enough pee to cause this. The partition is old wood, the only time it is dry is when the horses are out in the summer, the owner puts a thin covering of sawdust on the floor and their mucking out practice is very different to most... their bed is pretty damp to start. The floor slopes ever so slightly towards my stable. So the bedding remains damp, the partiton over the course of the first few days becomes damp, remains damp and begins to be absorbed by my boys clean bedding.

It is a lovely yard, but we are talking an older barn and how should I put it... more of a philosophy of budget than building things correctly. For example, many of the internal partitions have been cobbled together with pallets.

There are lines about 3 foot up, but even the top breeze block feels damp to touch. It is most definately worse in wet weather, However, the wood partition is damp only at the bottom and only when the other horse is in, during the summer I actually forked up ben's bed soley against the partition wall and left it like that for ages, despite rain - and quite a bit of it, the bedding remained dry save for the end bit that touched one of the concrete walls. So the partition is definately a *neighbours horse issue* Ben's stable is on the end and the two external walls are very wet at the moment. About a foot in from them remains dry apart from where ben wee's. I am the kind of person who can't not muck out fully, but have had to take to leaving a barrier of shavings around the affected areas... at the moment, on new bed day, part of the barrier is removed and replaced with what is left from the old bed, the middle gets topped up with a couple of bales, then come new bed day another area is replaced. It is certainly managable but it could be better.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi there,

The Beast is at a lovely yard in a big barn. However, the barn has breeze block walls, these get damp and I have about a foot of damp bed around the stable. I am looking for some kind of sealant paint I can use once he goes out at night ready for prepping the stable for next winter. Does anyone have any reccomendations please?
prob condensations, my walls are like that too. Drips down from the ceiling two in the morning from their breath.

Queenbee

Visit site
So a little update - had a good look this evening, the two outer breeze block walls are 5.5 blocks high, there are various tide marks on the walls from past drenchings, but for the most worst tide marks are on the 3rd and 4th full block, the final top full block remains relatively dry in most places. The wood partition is pretty dry until you reach the bottom, now this can't be coming up from the concrete as the concrete inner floor in the barn remains dry throughout the barn except at the edges where the exterior walls are and the wood partition is not inlaid into the floor. Confirming the damp is coming from the very *moist* bed next door.

I think my plan will be to get some thin mats or butyl and line all 3 walls, then seal these at the edges (bottom included, probably also add some base matting for extra protection. I am concerned that if I paint it, with the level of damp the paint/sealant will bubble and flake. I am no plasterer sadly.

Thank you all for your suggestions, they have been great to help me brainstorm and get a clear picture of a way forward with this :)