Dangerous charity

Orangehorse

Visit site
How naive am I? I've never heard of this, but you're right this sort of "charity" are just about dealers. Even better they never pay for any animal they get. I expect they promise that it will have a very good home with them (but only for as long as they have it). I feel rather shocked about this.

There is a local horse rescue charity, which has an OK reputation and there you send them a monthly donation for ever more if you take in one of their rescues.

Zero00000

Visit site
To be fair to the 'charity' the lady who commented about the resent rehome Costa, was not the lady that signed him over, but the lady that sold him a year before, and the charity have advised the new home who have said either way it doesn't matter he has a home.

I also looked through previous posts, I found the pony you rehomed, I think they were quite clear in their advertisement of him as a project, someone even made a comment regarding him underneath, and wasn't too far off his age (they can only go by what they have been told)
Considering some charities, they seem to be one of the better ones and put a lot of money back into what they do.

Last edited:

Visit site
To be fair to the 'charity' the lady who commented about the resent rehome Costa, was not the lady that signed him over, but the lady that sold him a year before, and the charity have advised the new home who have said either way it doesn't matter he has a home.

I also looked through previous posts, I found who I am assuming is the pony you rehomed (i could be wrong), I think they were quite clear in their advertisement of him as a project, someone even made a comment regarding him underneath, and wasn't too far off his age (they can only go by what they have been told)
Considering some charities, they seem to be one of the better ones and put a lot of money back into what they do.
I done some investigating into the charity with their charity number. They have not been a charity since December 2018 as they weren’t paying.
they had two adverts for the pony I rehomed. Both different ages, heights and breeds. They said he was a project, but when I enquired about his start, she said he didn’t do anything nasty, they just didn’t have time. But I found an owner that had him in 2012 who told me he done the exact same thing. When they sent him back in 2012 they made it clear he should only be a companion pony, but the charity didn’t listen. But THEY KNEW HOW DANGEROUS HE IS. They KNEW they were risking MY life , and anyone else who rides him. It is full of dishonesty.
you may have looked at their posts, where they appear all ‘nicey nicey’ but have you looked at their reviews and people’s actual experiences with them?!
for goodness sake! The charity owner is a bloody stripper, all the charities money goes on her lingerie/ photo shoots and god knows what else. The horses Best interest are NOT PUT FIRST!

indie1282

Visit site
I done some investigating into the charity with their charity number. They have not been a charity since December 2018 as they weren’t paying.
they had two adverts for the pony I rehomed. Both different ages, heights and breeds. They said he was a project, but when I enquired about his start, she said he didn’t do anything nasty, they just didn’t have time. But I found an owner that had him in 2012 who told me he done the exact same thing. When they sent him back in 2012 they made it clear he should only be a companion pony, but the charity didn’t listen. But THEY KNEW HOW DANGEROUS HE IS. They KNEW they were risking MY life , and anyone else who rides him. It is full of dishonesty.
you may have looked at their posts, where they appear all ‘nicey nicey’ but have you looked at their reviews and people’s actual experiences with them?!
for goodness sake! The charity owner is a bloody stripper, all the charities money goes on her lingerie/ photo shoots and god knows what else. The horses Best interest are NOT PUT FIRST!

What is the outcome that you actually want from this? You dont want to ride him anymore ( fair enough ) but you cant keep him as a companion either because you cant keep 2 horses ( also fair enough ) so the only option is to give him back, which you dont want to do?

Visit site
What is the outcome that you actually want from this? You dont want to ride him anymore ( fair enough ) but you cant keep him as a companion either because you cant keep 2 horses ( also fair enough ) so the only option is to give him back, which you dont want to do?
To be honest, I’m not sure what I want the outcome to be. I was hoping someone on here knew more about dealing with this kind of thing and could guide me. I’m trying to do what is best for the horse after all.

Auslander

Visit site

I think you need to be a bit careful about saying things like this on a public forum. It doesn't sound like a decent place, it's crappy that your pony isn't suitable for you, and it was wrong of her to rehome him to you without checking that you were a match - but her occupation has no relevance to the issue, and suggesting that she uses income from the charity to fund her lifestyle is a dangerous game to play! ALso - being a stripper doesn't make someone a dirty/bad person. Each to his/her own

Kaylum

Visit site
Are they members of the National Equine Welfare Council?

I take it your thinking they will take him back and rehome him somewhere but worried it wont be a suitable place?

Are you sure they will want him back in this climate? Or do you think they will make money off him with the rehoming fee?

Is the passport and microchip in your name?

Visit site
Are they members of the National Equine Welfare Council?

I take it your thinking they will take him back and rehome him somewhere but worried it wont be a suitable place?

Are you sure they will want him back in this climate? Or do you think they will make money off him with the rehoming fee?

Is the passport and microchip in your name?
I’ve not heard of the NEWC so not sure. They don’t advertise that they are.
Yes that’s exactly what I’m thinking! I’m so scared of a child being put on him and being hurt.
Yes they are still operating fully while COVID-19 is around.
They have made so much money off his rehoming fees over the years. And for her to come and pick him up (I don’t drive) she wants me to pay the transport fees.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
ALso - being a stripper doesn't make someone a dirty/bad person. Each to his/her own

Glad someone said this before me! It's totally irrelevant to the situation.

I am totally inexperienced so unlikely to be more helpful than anyone else. Has the OP bought or loaned this pony? In other rescue organisations do they typically do loan agreements or sell? If it's a loan would you normally expect to get your money back for the period you've had the pony?

Kaylum

Visit site
Whats your loan agreement like? What notice do you need to give?

This is NEWC its like a governing body for equine welfare charities. It gives guidance to them and they have to meet certain standards and are inspected to make sure they meet them. They can also loose their membership if they arent up to standard.

http://www.newc.co.uk/

Visit site
Whats your loan agreement like? What notice do you need to give?

This is NEWC its like a governing body for equine welfare charities. It gives guidance to them and they have to meet certain standards and are inspected to make sure they meet them. They can also loose their membership if they arent up to standard.

http://www.newc.co.uk/
How do I check if they are involved with them.
I have to give them a month’s notice. I don’t get any money back and transport costs to have him back are my responsibility too. It’s all a loss for me.

indie1282

Visit site
To be honest, I’m not sure what I want the outcome to be. I was hoping someone on here knew more about dealing with this kind of thing and could guide me. I’m trying to do what is best for the horse after all.

But legally you do not own the horse? So if you dont want to keep it then you have to return it to the charity. It's as simple as that really. if you want to have it pts then that is up to you, the charity may never know or bother to check up again if they are as uninterested as you say. Or maybe just contact them and speak about it? i cant see them wanting to take the horse back back so might say that it's ok to pts or they can rehome as a companion.

How do I check if they are involved with them.
I have to give them a month’s notice. I don’t get any money back and transport costs to have him back are my responsibility too. It’s all a loss for me.

In all fairness i wouldn't expect to get any money back from this. The fee you paid was a re homing fee ( which wouldn't be refundable ) and if i was returning a horse whether it was on private loan or loan from a charity i would expect to pay the cost of the transport to return it.

Also just to add, if the lady is a stripper then that's completely irrelevant in this instance.

honetpot

Visit site
Yes! What you have described is exactly what has happened to me and what she does all the time!
Her Facebook page for the charity does say ‘non-profit organisation’
Its basically a company, where all the 'profits' after paying the staff and expenses should go to looking after the horses, its not a charity.
'Our re-homing fees are £200 for companion horses or ponies, £250 for ridden ponies and £300 for ridden horses - wormed etc. all ready for their new home. We also have our own transport so we can bring your new friend to you - we do ask for a donation for this service (based on mileage). We do vet our new homes - after all, we want a happy ending but also, this is our job.'
As someone has said they look like dealers in low end animals, they get the animals, free to good home, and then the donation and travel costs are a sales fee.
I would find out who owns the company, and try getting your costs back, not as sold, but you will need evidence. Or set on HMRC, see if they are paying tax on their earnings. In tax law as its not a registered charity I doubt if the fee can be classed as a donation.
https://www.ionos.co.uk/startupguid...rofit-accounting-what-needs-to-be-considered/

Shay

Visit site
Whether the re-homer is dodgy or not, whether it is a "not for profit" or a charity - even if it is also committing tax avoidance or evasion..... You have a contract which you chose to enter into and which states that you have to return the pony to them and that you will pay the transport costs to do so. I'm really sorry it didn't work out - but that is the term of the contract and that is what you are stuck with.

If you have concerns about the welfare of animals in thier care approach WHW. They are not listed as members of the newc.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
It seems to me that you have two choices;
1. You put him on loan as a companion, do rigorous checks, and state in writing that he is not suitable to ever be ridden, making the loaner sign to this effect.
2. You have him put to sleep.

This may be complicated if you have signed any agreements/documentation with the 'charity' - but given that they are not a charity but ostensibly dealers, you could make more trouble for them than they could for you.

Might be worth calling the BHS legal helpline if you are a member.

CMcC

Visit site
I done some investigating into the charity with their charity number. They have not been a charity since December 2018 as they weren’t paying.!
They are still registered as a charity although they haven’t completed their annual return to the Charity Commission for 2018. They were also very later doing return for 2016.
I suspect they might be “flagged” by the CC for poor management so any complain might be treated more seriously

Jasminps

New User
Visit site
I'm sorry you are in this situation I would recommend going to the charity commission. I gave up a beloved horse to Free Rein around two years ago now, she was very dangerous she would rear and go over onto her back, in hand or ridden. They assured me over and over she would stay with them for life retired in a herd. They rehomed her a couple of months later, and wrote lies about me in her advert. I was heartbroken. I don't

Visit site
I'm sorry you are in this situation I would recommend going to the charity commission. I gave up a beloved horse to Free Rein around two years ago now, she was very dangerous she would rear and go over onto her back, in hand or ridden. They assured me over and over she would stay with them for life retired in a herd. They rehomed her a couple of months later, and wrote lies about me in her advert. I was heartbroken. I don't
Oh gosh! You’re not the only one, a few people have contacted me with their own experiences similar. It’s just heartbreaking. What was the name of your horse?

Jasminps

New User
Visit site
Her passport name was Belgravia UK, stable name Loca but they renamed her Lola. She was my first horse, I had her from a yearling :( I adored her and just wanted the best for her, I didn't want her being passed around. I tried for years to resolve her behaviour with numerous professionals but nothing worked. They sold me a dream and within a couple of months she was gone ? she was rehomed to a lady called Beverley and I've been desperately trying to trace her with no joy. I still consider getting a solicitor involved because I have numerous messages from them promising she would stay with them for life! Terrible people!

Parrotperson

Visit site
What about trading standards? Although I guess if they’re a ‘charity’ they may have no interest. Worth a trip to citizens advice whenever we exit lockdown.

personally I’d pts. And if the charity ever contacts you which I doubt you can say you found him dead in the field. It does happen. He’s not safe to pass on even as a companion as you can’t trust people not to try and ride him and then someone might die.

McFluff

Visit site
Personally I’d pts. And if the charity ever contacts you which I doubt you can say you found him dead in the field. It does happen. He’s not safe to pass on even as a companion as you can’t trust people not to try and ride him and then someone might die.
This is what I think I'd do in your situation. It is the responsible thing - even if you found a companion home, you risk them passing him on. Personally, I'd sleep better knowing nothing else could happen to him. There are much worse fates for a horse...

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I rehomed a pony from a charity 11 months ago. He sounded perfect for me. He was a 7 year old, new Forest X Welsh that had been previously started then turned away and forgotten about. When I enquired about him she said that he needed an experienced home and he could be a little bit nervous but wouldn’t act upon it. Since having him, he has not come with a passport so I had to get it, restart all his jabs, microchip him to me and get his hooves sorted that were in a right state. I also found an owner that had him as a 6 year old in 2012 making him at least 11.
My problem is, is that in the 11 months I’ve had him, we’ve made almost no progress at all. He has a serious bolting issue and I cannot stop him no matter how soft/ firm/ what aids I use or who rides him. When he wants his rider off, it’s coming off!
I’ve had people out to look at him dentist, back, saddle fitter etc etc and I spent hundreds of pounds getting help from a professional trainer to help with breaking him in. But he is still dangerous and I’m terrified of getting back on him as last time I fell off I ended up in hospital!
I had another lady who works with breaking in difficult horses come and tell me that ‘he is seriously f**ked up and something terrible has happened in his past to make him so psychologically broken’ she then went on to tell me it’s all about how much I’m willing to risk, as I am going to have nasty falls, be thrown into fences etc.
To be honest, this pony isn’t worth it! All it takes is one fall and I’ve broken my back and I’d be so angry if this pony stopped me doing the thing I loved most.

My problem now is: I can’t afford to get another horse and keep this one as a companion. In our loan contract from the charity, he must go back. But the charity is so dodgy and has absolutely terrible reviews on what they do with their horses and rehoming dangerous ones to new people all the time. I really don’t want to send him back. Is there anything else I can do?
What would he be like as a companion?? as everything you have said ( unless I missed something) is related to being ridden.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
What would he be like as a companion?? as everything you have said ( unless I missed something) is related to being ridden.

I think the problem is OP can't afford to keep him just as a companion, and that (based on the OP and another poster's reports in this thread) the charity/dealer has already shown they are not quite straight the backgrounds of the horses they rehome thus the risk that he will just be moved on again as a ridden horse.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I would never re-home a dangerous pony even as a companion, you can’t trust the loaner not to try to re-back etc.

If the ‘charity’ won’t pts, then I would. It’s the safest thing to do. You can tell them whatever story you like (god knows, they’ve told you enough stories!) but no way would he be going back to be re-homed yet again to some poor unknowing person or to line madam’s pockets.

paddy555

Visit site
Its basically a company, where all the 'profits' after paying the staff and expenses should go to looking after the horses, its not a charity.
'Our re-homing fees are £200 for companion horses or ponies, £250 for ridden ponies and £300 for ridden horses - wormed etc. all ready for their new home. We also have our own transport so we can bring your new friend to you - we do ask for a donation for this service (based on mileage). We do vet our new homes - after all, we want a happy ending but also, this is our job.'
As someone has said they look like dealers in low end animals, they get the animals, free to good home, and then the donation and travel costs are a sales fee.
I would find out who owns the company, and try getting your costs back, not as sold, but you will need evidence. Or set on HMRC, see if they are paying tax on their earnings. In tax law as its not a registered charity I doubt if the fee can be classed as a donation.
https://www.ionos.co.uk/startupguid...rofit-accounting-what-needs-to-be-considered/[/QUOTE

this is a registered charity. Accounts have been submitted.

lucymb

Visit site
This is horrible,
Im just so trusting of charities, that i never even thought of them doing something like this.

I would have the horse put to sleep and just ring them and say he had a accident.

Yes it legally wrong but i doubt they will even care if they are as bad as you say.
You don't want send him back and it would play on your mind constantly about where he is and what happened to him if you did.
If you loan him, you can't always trust the loaner to not ride him. You would then never forgive yourself if he hurt or killed someone. Also people's circumstances change and the loaner could end up returning him at some point so you would be stuck with him again and possibly another horse if you were to find a new one.
You are in a horrible situation but i would definitely have him put to sleep.