Dangerous Driver! *RANT*

Cazolime

Visit site
Have to get this off my chest and need to rant somewhere!

Went out for a hack on the little coblet this afternoon, decked out in high vis with my hat band, coat and flashing LED breastplate. Hacking along a country road, visibility was good, road was clear, sun was going down but behind me, so I was aware that oncoming cars may struggle to see me, but pony is sensible and I wasn't worried.

We came upon a gateway and I could see from the shadows that there was something attached to it, wind was high and it transpired to be a bright pink scarf tied to the gate and blowing in the wind. Pony is normally very safe and even when spooked doesn't do much more than maybe one step sideways and turn her head to look.

She decided she didn't like this scarf and got tense (which is a warning she may spook).

I could hear cars behind me, one was going too quickly for me to do anything about but I turned around to the second driver put my hand up and shouted stop, we were already drifting over and I didn't want to end up on her bonnet if pony decided to actually spook. Road was clear in the other direction.

This ignorant driver, looked at me, hesitated then proceeded to floor it past me as the best course of action. She was inches from ponies bum at this point and seconds later we crossed the white line in the middle of the road.

This all happened in a few seconds, and we were then past the gate, pony had relaxed and repositioned herself after a few joggy steps (she was picking up on my agitation!) The woman continued to drive on oblivious.

My frustration is that she didn't stop, I don't know whether she thought she wouldn't have time to stop, in which case the next question is why was she going so fast, but it was a very lucky escape.

I have reported it on the BHS website. Phew glad I got that off my chest!

OWLIE185

Visit site
Pleased to hear that you are both o.k.
Always wear a long sleeved Hi-Viz jacket so that the other road users can clearly see you hand signals.

Cazolime

Visit site
My coat is an equisafety one so I have reflectives on my arms, afterwards I did think that I was wearing black gloves so I might look into getting a brighter pair.

Doormouse

Visit site
I have just moved house and having spent the last 3 years hacking on very narrow, quiet country lanes I was horrified, when I rode yesterday, at the speed some drivers come past. Luckily both my old horse and the pony are great in traffic but I am very relieved my youngster is at livery elsewhere, I wouldn't fancy riding her round these roads.

pennyturner

Visit site
Had fun yesterday. Impatient driver overtook where they shouldn't (not too dangerous, just pointless and inconsiderate), and found themselves having to brake right in front of us as they were hemmed in behind a parked vehicle by the oncoming traffic. I took great delight in allowing the pony to pull up in his own time (rather than the forced emergency stop she had created for us), leaving him hard up against her back window, breathing heavily on her rear wiper. She was lucky... one of my other ponies has a habit of eating wiper blades. :D

ohmissbrittany

Visit site
Yup, my lane has become a "rat run" of drivers racing through on their way to/from work. It's scary even in a car, and my neighbors walking have had to dive into the hedge. Seriously, what cannot wait 15 seconds to slow down and keep everyone safe, because I promise, neither one of us will be happy if your car hits my horse... and honestly, the driver better hope I'm dead because if I stand up after that, s/he's next!