dangerous horse

kate121212

Visit site
my horse rears when i lead him out of the field and runs off. this only happens when there is another horse in the field with him and the other horse whinnies!
he rears up and canters off. i suspect this might be napping but it is dangerous and only just started happening.
what should i do?
thanks

guido16

Visit site
It is serious napping!
Where does he run off?

I would lead him with his bridle on and get the help of a friend so two of you are leading him.

And get back to basic with his manners with some good solid groundwork.

His behaviour is totally unacceptable and dangerous

ladyt25

Visit site
In the short term, get a rope wrapped round its nose to prevent it hauling you and getting away and look at getting a control headcollar, for instance an eskadron chain headcollar or a dually. Just so you have some control and he will learn he cannot pull away and will hopefully stop behaving like this.

On top of this make sure you are firm with him and wear a hat when handling him!!!

tasel

Visit site
My horse reared a few times when I led her... this seemed to work best:

BUT Preferably, don't do this alone. Have someone else there the first few times.

First of all, you should try leading with those long lead ropes. Seems to work better. Also, using pressure halters seems to work!

1) I would make the horse that whinnies aware I am the boss (move it away with extra lead rope, etc. whilst leading my horse) in FULL sight of my horse. Maybe a friend can help you here.

2) If horse rears and canters off, make sure you are not in the way (that's why extra long lead rope), but still hold on to the lead rope, so that he/she can't really get too far.

3) If your horse is anything like mine, he/she will then threaten to rear again on the lead rope with you on one side he/she on the other. I put my weight in, my horse can't rear up that way, and at some point she does give up (can take a minute or two). Obiously, if you could just stop her rearing and cantering away by just holding on in the first place, that would be better.

Anyway... it just goes to show her that I won, and I am the boss... which weirdly enough is how their world seems to be structured.

galaxy

Visit site
Put a hat on your head! Wear gloves. Put the horses bridle on, or chifney, or at least wrap rope around his nose and use a lunge line rather than a lead rope so that if he goes up you can hang on without getting underneath him.

oscarwild

Visit site
At the start of the year I had issues leading my horse once he came off 4 months boxrest.
I found the best thing was a dually headcollar and a 12ft line. Went he decided to tank off I moved a step or 2 to the side to get out of his way and would allow the rope to slide through my hands so we go more distance between us. I would turn my shoulder towards him and give a good tug on the line and he would spin round and stop and them we could continue on our way. Before I used that tactic I did end up in hospital with a bruised pelvis and kidneys from him flattening me as he bolted.

The problem is now sorted but I always have him in his control head collar and 12ft line incase he tries again.

rcm_73

Visit site
I used to have a chestnut mare that did this, she was very, very nappy and did not want to leave her companions in the field. I used a chifney on her and used to take a schooling whip to send her on behind, it worked better than an ordinary headcollar or bridle and the chifney is easier to put on and off. NH techniques may work well after initial training but won't be a quick fix. I ended up selling the mare I had as a companion as at the time I didn't have the hours available that she needed to get her right.

coen

Visit site
If it has only started happening lately this shouldn't take long to stop. My horse also started doing this sort of thing, it is all down to respect and the horse obviously thinks he's in control as did mine. I would lead him with hat gloves and use a lunge line instead of lead rope so your at a safe distance if he goes up and can hold on if he tries to run, also try a schooling whip to send him forward if he grinds to a halt. Try not to move your feet much and stand your ground, also try ground work. It only took a few days to sort my horse (well the in hand rearing at least :)) When they realize the actions aren't successful they can stop as quickly as they started. Good luck.

becstew

Visit site
my horse rears when i lead him out of the field and runs off. this only happens when there is another horse in the field with him and the other horse whinnies!
he rears up and canters off. i suspect this might be napping but it is dangerous and only just started happening.
what should i do?
thanks

My horse went through this 'fun' phase. I found the best way was to put on his bridle, attach a lunge line to each side for two people to lead. Eventually he stopped fighting & just forgot about it, although I still won't lead him without a long line & gloves for a good grip. Best to be on the safe side.

bj_cardiff

Visit site
use a chiffney, if your horse has only just discovered this then you need to stamp it out right away!

Use a chiffney for a few days then when he's stopped trying to rear move onto a bridle and then back to a headcollar once he's learnt his place again.

Storminateacup

2nd star on the right and straight on 'til morning
Visit site
Agree with using the 12ft line and pressure rope headcollar, thats what I Iuse on my bolshy 4 year old and it works, he did try rearing once on it but its very easy to pull them round and send them away from you by shaking the rope at them. Now if mine plants his feet I just rock him from side to side a bit to get his feet moving, (while mine stay stil of course), then he gives in immediately and walks nicely. Rope headcollar is far more effective IMO than a chifney or a slip head and snaffle bit to bring them,(this is what we used to use with our big ID x youngsters years ago but they would still rear sometimes and charge past you).

fattysmum

Visit site
I wouldn't bother with a chifney, it will only make him hard in the mouth.

Agree with pressure rope headcollar thing, dont be afraid to use phase 4 [after working up obv.]

LMuirEDT

www.horsedentistry.org.uk
Mine does this from time to time, usually during winter when he's in less work and full of energy. When he's having one of these days I use the Eskadron headcollar with a built in chain. If he threatens to go up or even does a couple of good tugs to get his attention usually works. He also has done the plant himself thing too so like other have said I carry a schooling whip so as soon as he stops he gets a tap to move forward. I also find it's quite useful to have if he does stand up to stop him coming into my space - I tap him on the legs with it to say keep away from me.

I'm never keen on using a bridle or chifney with a horse that bolts as if they do get away from you, bolt off and stand on the rope they can do themselves A LOT of damage in the mouth. Basic ground work and teaching them respect is the best answer.