Danilon, bute?

vicky1221

Visit site
Hi my older gelding has been diagnosed with arthritis, my vet has advised using danilon. When he gets one sachet twice per day he is fine but when given 2 sachets twice per day he goes dull and off his feed. Has anyone ever had a similar problem or can recommend any solutions thanks.

spaniel

Visit site
If you are feeding your horse 4 sachets of bute per day I think you need to have a chat to your vet. That is a seriously high dose and will leave your horse feeling quite ill. Were you told to feed two sachets twice a day?

TBH if 2 sachets per day arent helping you may need to have a think about your horses quality of life.

Rueysmum

Visit site
2 plus 2 Danilon would be a loading dose and not to be continued long term - it's the sort of dose you would use in the case of a sudden acute lameness, or the exacerbation of a chronic lameness (for 24 hours only).

A loading dose would be used to get the drug into the horse's system and it would then be reduced accordingly until a reasonable pain threshold could be attained. To give the horse 2 x 2 Danilom randomly seems rather unwise. It would be best to discuss this with your vet. After all, you don't want to inadvertently damage his liver.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

vicky1221

Visit site
I was advised by my vet to use 2 twice a day. He only gets them on a friday night and saturday morning while competing. He is also on vetroflex. When assessed by the vet he said that he wasn't that unsound, he injected his hocks and said to use bute too. We are only jumping 90cms

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I was advised by my vet to use 2 twice a day. He only gets them on a friday night and saturday morning while competing. He is also on vetroflex. When assessed by the vet he said that he wasn't that unsound, he injected his hocks and said to use bute too. We are only jumping 90cms

Is this a wind up? Why would you compete a horse that needed so many painkillers to perform? Sorry but this is wrong imo

spaniel

Visit site
I do hope this is a wind up....if not I can only hope the poor horse involved shuffles off his shoes very soon.