Danilon dosage

meleeka

Visit site
My pony (12hh) has been prescribed half a sachet daily by my vet. The instructions with the Danilon however says one sachet every other day for ponies. Which should I follow? It doesn’t really matter, apart from trying to work out how much is half and i’m always finding half a sachet in my pocket.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Yes,go with vet.
Open 1 sachet at home or clean area, use a teaspoon to work out how much is half a sachet as the contents settle and move when trying to use half.
If tiny pony then I usually use the likes of Rheumocam as easier to use.

meleeka

Visit site
The full boxes of Danilon come with a clear graduated measuring spoon for measuring out half sachets of the powder.

Your vet should be able to let you have one. I’d go with the vets advice, tbh half a sachet a day sounds more logical than one sachet every other day.

I didn’t know that, I’ll ask for a spoon, thank you. 👍🏻.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
The full boxes of Danilon come with a clear graduated measuring spoon for measuring out half sachets of the powder.

Your vet should be able to let you have one. I’d go with the vets advice, tbh half a sachet a day sounds more logical than one sachet every other day.
They used to but don't anymore.
They changed them last year so the active ingredient is still there but there's a lot less in the sachet
They went from 10g to 3g. Measuring a half sachet is a nightmare now.
(My pony is on Danilon and I buy boxes online with a prescription from my vet).

meleeka

Visit site
They used to but don't anymore.
They changed them last year so the active ingredient is still there but there's a lot less in the sachet
They went from 10g to 3g. Measuring a half sachet is a nightmare now.
(My pony is on Danilon and I buy boxes online with a prescription from my vet).

That’s the reason I went for Danilon. The old sachets would have been impossible to get my mare to eat. I did get a whole box from my vet so presumably should have got a spoon if there was one.

The pony is getting my best estimate of a half. One day it might be a quarter and one day three quarters, who knows!

fidleyspromise

Visit site
That’s the reason I went for Danilon. The old sachets would have been impossible to get my mare to eat. I did get a whole box from my vet so presumably should have got a spoon if there was one.

The pony is getting my best estimate of a half. One day it might be a quarter and one day three quarters, who knows!
I was told that putting it on top of food keeps it most edible rather than mixing it in so if you have issues getting her to eat it that might be worth it.

At least within 48 hours she's getting the right amount.

Melody Grey

Visit site
My little cob was on 1/2 sachet x 2 a day after her surgery (so one split across the day) The vets said it's better to have a constant small dosage of pain relief.
Agreed- I’m not an expert but would think levels would be all over the place if given every other day- can’t be enough left by day two to be useful surely?

meleeka

Visit site
I was told that putting it on top of food keeps it most edible rather than mixing it in so if you have issues getting her to eat it that might be worth it.

At least within 48 hours she's getting the right amount.

That’s exactly what I’m doing and why I keep losing it 😂. I make her tea and then empty it into her corner manager (as she tips a bucket). She then very politely waits for me to empty half a sachet on the top. I always put the other half in my coat pocket and god knows where it ends up, because I keep losing it!

Last edited:

Sealine

Visit site
My horse has half of the new small sachets twice a day. I measured it out once and keep a measuring spoon in the feed room to use. If I remember correctly half a sachet = half a teaspoon.