Danilon for infection?

Tonto101

New User
Visit site
Hi all

Just looking for some advice for my friend.

Her 3 year old cob has a bad cough and has been heavy breathing when worked. A vet came out and said that though his temp and breathing is fine he is definitely fighting an infection as one of his lymph nodes is double the size.

She was told to give him 2 weeks rest and danilon for 5 days.

I always thought danilon was an anti inflammatory, does anyone know if it can be used for an infection?

Just wondering if anyone would know before she goes back and asks for a second opinion

Thanks

Casey76

Visit site
If the infection is viral you can't give anything for it. If the airways are inflamed due to the virus and then coughing, an anti-inflammatory will help to calm that down. It is also a pain killer, so will ease the chest pain due to coughing.

ihatework

Visit site
It might be used as a supportive therapy but I'm surprised used as sole therapy in this case.

The vet is probably just being careful with client pennies and being conservative to start with. If it doesn't improve I'd run bloods and consider a course of ventapulmin, plus steroids/abs depending on what the bloods show

Tonto101

New User
Visit site
Thanks everyone just wanted to check before she went back to the vet as I'd not heard of it being used for infections.

They have said they will do the bloods if there's no improvement but as it could get expensive they recommended doing this first.

furrycat

Visit site
My horse had a bit of a cough in the summer and was also prescribed danilon to help calm down inflammation in the airways and any soreness etc