Danilon - huge price increase - best alternative

Flummoxed

Visit site
My vets have warned me of a huge hike in the price of Danilon as of July - due to manufacturing costs - and suggested some options for mitigating that increase. Among their suggestions is to use a less palatable alternative. I was just wondering what other long term users found to be the best for their horse?

sjb10

Visit site
We tried a less palatable alternative a few months ago as our vet suggested it was cheaper than danilon. Normally "eat anything" native type was not keen. I think he did become a bit more willing as time went on but we reverted to danilon. We are due a 6 month review soon will have to see what the cost difference is.

tatty_v

Visit site
When I need it I use Equipalazone, which is a cheaper alternative. That said, my boy refuses to eat Danilon, despite it supposedly being more tasty!

Crackerz

Visit site
I changed to Butagran last month from Danilon as it was cheaper anyway. Vet said they don't prescribe it as horses don't like it. I normally syringe it in with the prascend anyway but in a rush have given it in feed twice and he's scoffed the lot! He's normally the fussiest pony ever, normally if i put something different in his bucket he will refuse buckets for a fortnight :D

Plus, it smells like vanilla, i dusted a bit on my finger and tasted it (ooops) and it wasn't horrific

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
My vets have warned me of a huge hike in the price of Danilon as of July - due to manufacturing costs - and suggested some options for mitigating that increase. Among their suggestions is to use a less palatable alternative. I was just wondering what other long term users found to be the best for their horse?

On e-vet Danilon is currently £60.99 for 60 sachets and bute is £67.99 for 100 sachets. Your vets should either have a price matching service which they will do if you pay for a prescription off them, of if you buy a prescription from them you can go to e-vet directly. The prescriptions last 6 months so you can re-order drugs within that time providing your vets are happy with this. The ruling is that animals need to be seen by the vet at least every 6 months for a re-assessment of their condition to determine whether the drug is still suitable for them.

Not sure how these prices compare with what you are already paying. If your horse won't take bute due to the taste you can always melt some polos or strong mints in some boiling water and add that to the feed or a liquorice (or herbal treat for a healthier alternative!)

Crackerz

Visit site
On e-vet Danilon is currently £60.99 for 60 sachets and bute is £67.99 for 100 sachets. Your vets should either have a price matching service which they will do if you pay for a prescription off them, of if you buy a prescription from them you can go to e-vet directly. The prescriptions last 6 months so you can re-order drugs within that time providing your vets are happy with this. The ruling is that animals need to be seen by the vet at least every 6 months for a re-assessment of their condition to determine whether the drug is still suitable for them.

My vet only checks my boy annually and even then it annoys me! He's got Cushings and slight arthritis, it isn't going to go away :D But i know they have to.

My vets also match online prices if i buy whole boxes which is much cheaper

Flummoxed

Visit site
Plus, it smells like vanilla, i dusted a bit on my finger and tasted it (ooops) and it wasn't horrific

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and I'm glad someone has taste-tested! I will see what my vets are proposing as an alternative and how it compares cost-wise. As my horse normally eats anything except wormer (and loves turmeric), I expect he'd cope with the change.

I am aware of the potential use of e-vets, which I have used in the past, then decided to stick with my vets. They do not offer a price-matching service, being a small vet practice, they cannot buy in sufficient bulk. I might reconsider if the savings were great enough.

The price rise I have been quoted is £37 per box and I would expect the e-vets to reflect something along the same lines in July.