Danny Blackford Affinity Horsemanship

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddy555

Visit site
Yep, I know him. What do you want to know?

anything really. I was asked about him, looked up his website, you tube videos etc but couldn't find much more about him. Someone was wondering about sending a horse for training somewhere but couldn't find any info about his premises, how he keeps visiting horses (for training) ie stabled, at grass etc. Also couldn't find any history on google, what he had done etc over the years.

watched some of the videos and he seemed OK but no idea really. Have you trained with him, sent your horse there, ridden there?
basically is this one of the good guys, a gifted trainer or not.

Please PM me if you don't want to put anything on here)

seamoth

Visit site
anything really. I was asked about him, looked up his website, you tube videos etc but couldn't find much more about him. Someone was wondering about sending a horse for training somewhere but couldn't find any info about his premises, how he keeps visiting horses (for training) ie stabled, at grass etc. Also couldn't find any history on google, what he had done etc over the years.

watched some of the videos and he seemed OK but no idea really. Have you trained with him, sent your horse there, ridden there?
basically is this one of the good guys, a gifted trainer or not.

Please PM me if you don't want to put anything on here)

seamoth

Visit site
and came across as very coc
seamoth, your comment doesn't appear to have worked?
Sorry I wasn't sure this was coming through as a PM so deleted it. Danny started endurance about five years ago his first horse was vetted out three times out of six he then sold on got another one that has done six rides vetted out once and has been ridden at over 14km on his first rides, not sure if you know anything about endurance but that is not a good record at all, I rode with him once for a few miles and felt that all he wanted to do was go from A to B as fast as possible. He entered Red Dragon for their three day ride he must have known that his horse wasn't eligible and was fortunately found out and refused entry. In my mind he came across as very cocky and I would certainly never entrust any of my horses to him. Hope this helps I know it is very hard to get a trainer that you can trust for your horse

planete

Visit site
I know nothing about him, just looked at the photos on his FB page. H & S perhaps not very good. He seems to have a thing about making young children stand on ponies' backs. Not what I would expect of a knowledgeable and reliable horseman.

paddy555

Visit site
and came across as very coc

Sorry I wasn't sure this was coming through as a PM so deleted it. Danny started endurance about five years ago his first horse was vetted out three times out of six he then sold on got another one that has done six rides vetted out once and has been ridden at over 14km on his first rides, not sure if you know anything about endurance but that is not a good record at all, I rode with him once for a few miles and felt that all he wanted to do was go from A to B as fast as possible. He entered Red Dragon for their three day ride he must have known that his horse wasn't eligible and was fortunately found out and refused entry. In my mind he came across as very cocky and I would certainly never entrust any of my horses to him. Hope this helps I know it is very hard to get a trainer that you can trust for your horse

thanks for that. I was starting to get that impression. I did endurance many years ago. There was always the odd one like this. :rolleyes:

putting this link as it is in the public domain so no reason not to.
https://crimeline.co.uk/danny-blackford-2019-ewca-crim-1513/

needless to say the person who was asking me about him (not on here but I knew people on here would know of him) has changed their mind. :D

thanks again.

I'm in Devon Barlow and hadn't heard of him until someone asked me.
https://www.affinityhorsemanship.co.uk

nice website and some lovely pics.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I just watched it on YouTube?
Bit cringe....

Ah, found the whole channel, even though the link to Luna didn't work.

I would imagine that anyone who looked at the channel would be able to draw their own conclusions about whether sending a horse there for training would be a good fit or not.

paddy555

Visit site
I agree in as much that if he can ride her you would think she would accept any rider quite happily. For what she appears to be I am surprised at her low price tag in today's market.

the video is still there.
I think it is probably quite a good sales video. It shows an ordinary horse being demonstrated by a ordinary rider and the horse will probably be bought by someone "ordinary" so that video may well show her very honestly. (obviously there are the usual million questions re health, why she is on sales livery etc etc and vetting)

As a trainer then I wouldn't let a horse past the gate because I would have too many safety concerns.

However if I wanted a horse I would definitely have a look at Luna based on that video. It comes across as being what it is.
There was a sales video on here a while ago for a horse that someone bought which appears to have problems. One look at that video which was very carefully put together with a skilled rider and no way would I even look based on the video. It showed exactly what they wanted it to show.

Many prospective buyers are drawn in by a nice sales video usually with a pretty good rider on top and assume that because that rider can get that with the horse then so will everyone else.
Luna's doesn't do that.

paddy555

Visit site
skip to the end for the riding I was pretty concerned about the stirrups, then the saddle moved too. . :eek::eek:

I noticed both of those and he looked far from comfortable in the saddle. He did say he usually rode her with a Western saddle. Perhaps he thought people would be dismissive of a western saddle and wouldn't look at the mare.
I think it could have been a much better video if he had ridden Western although he did demonstrate jumping in the English one.

ETA it could have been a much better ridden video is he had ridden her western and then put on of his girls on to demonstrate her jumping in an English saddle.

[153312]

Visit site
the video is still there.
I think it is probably quite a good sales video. It shows an ordinary horse being demonstrated by a ordinary rider and the horse will probably be bought by someone "ordinary" so that video may well show her very honestly. (obviously there are the usual million questions re health, why she is on sales livery etc etc and vetting)

As a trainer then I wouldn't let a horse past the gate because I would have too many safety concerns.

However if I wanted a horse I would definitely have a look at Luna based on that video. It comes across as being what it is.
There was a sales video on here a while ago for a horse that someone bought which appears to have problems. One look at that video which was very carefully put together with a skilled rider and no way would I even look based on the video. It showed exactly what they wanted it to show.

Many prospective buyers are drawn in by a nice sales video usually with a pretty good rider on top and assume that because that rider can get that with the horse then so will everyone else.
Luna's doesn't do that.
She looks incredibly genuine and sweet tbh
The rider is .... Not great. And I certainly wouldn't want him "training" any of mine. But that little mare is lovely

paddy555

Visit site
I have asked the mods to close this thread. I don't know how to do it or even if I can do.
My question is answered, there is lot of further info about DB here if anyone is interested.
I don't want it to turn into a witch hunt about someone who is running a business..

Status
Not open for further replies.