Darley Rehoming/Ex-racers advice or opinions please!

PercyMum

Visit site
Hello All

I am currently thinking about getting an ex-racer and I really like the look of the Darley programme. Does anyone have any experience of them? How long does the process take? Any advice?

I am an experienced rider and have had TB's before but not sure I want to do the whole'straight off the track' thing, as I have never done it before. Although I'm happy to take people's advice on this too!

Thanks in advance

Tammytoo

Visit site
They are not straight off the track - they will have been turned away for a couple of months at least and then brought back into work and taught the basics, i.e. stand to be mounted, schooling, hacking out alone and with others etc. The only "drawback" is, unlike the other re-homing centres, you buy the horse for a nominal sum and it's then your full responsibility. The other 3 main charities loan their horses, again after basic re-training, so if your circumstances change they will take the horse back to re-home.

foraday

Visit site
You go, you ride a couple of the horses that you think you want, you apply and then you pay a small fee for your horse and off you go. The horse becomes your property after 3 months.

The ones last year did not have any basic re training at all but that was in Victoria's day and now a new manager is there so maybe some one has been brave enough to get on and reschool!

PercyMum

Visit site
That's very interesting - thank you. How long does the Rehoming process take or is it a case of waiting until they match you to a horse? Are there any other racehorse "sources" anyone would recommend? The horse would be homed for life and my circumstances (as far as is foreseeable) shouldn't change so owning rather than loaning is not a problem.

foraday

Visit site
Thoroughbred Rehabilitation Centre was the original one set up by Carrie Humble

http://www.thoroughbredrehabilitationcentre.co.uk/our-horses.php

They will assess your riding and then match you to a horse and this may take a while. You pay a donation to them and they sent out a file for you to keep records of vet visits, farrier visits, physio etc the horse BELONGS to them and remains so.

Should you not get on with your horse for whatever reason they will take it back and try to get you another one at no extra charge apart from obviously transport.

Good luck

Clodagh

Visit site
My sister-in-law has a Darley horse and hes great. Their is quite a long wait for them to find you a suitable horse I think, no doubt depending on your competence and ability.
They are all tiny little flat things though, from what I have seen, S-in-laws is midget and has hooves that would fit in teacups!

Lolo

Visit site
I don't know if she's still on here, but it might be worth PMing firewell, as she has 2 horses from various rehoming places and they're fab!

GypsyGirl

Visit site
Hi there,

I don't know what happens with darley but I can say is that Jo brisland (the new manager of darley) is my YO's wife and she is really good with her horses, her husband is a racehorse trainer himself and trained my mare that I have now. Big thumbs up to Jo she's a really nice lady and very happy she has her new job, very knowledgeable and calm with her horses. Pointless post but if horses are coming from her they will be coming from really good hands.

Lovely lady! :)

PercyMum

Visit site
Thanks Gypsy Girl! I have had a disaster with my last 2 horses (both WB or WBx) so am going back to my first love of a TB!! Or a PRE. Still not decided yet....!!!

jj4y

Visit site
I applied via the on-line form just under a year ago but never heard anything back from them. I also followed it up by email to check they'd received my application, but didn't get a reply to that either. I know I was after something on the under end of their height range being ex-flat horses, but was disappointed to not even get a 'sorry we can't help you'.

hobgoblin

Visit site
I have applied to them twice, once about 4 years ago on paper , never heard anything back and again about a year ago when I was looking for a second horse on line again never got any response!
It's not like we are numptys hubby is farrier for 30 years and I've worked in nh yards here and in France flat yards here in USA and australlia and ride at a reasonable ( I think ) level be horses are all at home with good facility's so I think if you get one you're obviously got something that I havnt! Good luck

GypsyGirl

Visit site
Thanks Gypsy Girl! I have had a disaster with my last 2 horses (both WB or WBx) so am going back to my first love of a TB!! Or a PRE. Still not decided yet....!!!

Ring her, just ring her and say what your looking for and you wanted some advice, she will put you in the right hands and she will be totally honest with you.

When she comes back down to our yard I always get her to pull my mares mane because if anyone else tries to rear and hates it .. but jo comes along and does it perfectly and my mare trusts her a lot.

If you ring her and tell her what your looking for, shel probably let you no what she has and if anything is suitable etc shes great

Nickles1973

Visit site
I have a Darley boy. He's been with me for almost 3 years. (So came to me when Victoria was manager) My boy had had the basics of retraining, as had the other 2 horses I tried. I found the process a little daunting but that has more to do with my dislike of being watched and judged when I ride than anything.
He came to me on three months trial after which Victoria visited us at our yard where I signed signed a non racing agreement and paid my £100 plus vat. His passport was then sent to me in my name.
I can only speak highly of my experience with Darley whilst Victoria was in charge. I have also had dealings with Jo and have found her to be very helpful.
I'll also add that my lad is 16.3 built like an Irish chaser (although was bred for and raced only on the flat) with big 'ole plates!

PercyMum

Visit site
Ring her, just ring her and say what your looking for and you wanted some advice, she will put you in the right hands and she will be totally honest with you.

When she comes back down to our yard I always get her to pull my mares mane because if anyone else tries to rear and hates it .. but jo comes along and does it perfectly and my mare trusts her a lot.

If you ring her and tell her what your looking for, shel probably let you no what she has and if anything is suitable etc shes great

I will do - thank you very much! I think I can offer a very good home so I will call on Monday to discuss what might be possible.

Chestnutmare

Visit site
I also rang them today, as I applied over a year ago via their online form, called and spoke to Victoria after much trying to get hold of them.

I too would offer a horse a home if there would be one suitable to my needs, I also emailed them today, so hears hoping for an answer.