Darn Weather - just having a bit of a moan

deb_l222

Visit site
It's winter, it rains but for the first time in 18 years I've got to fence off part of my lawn because it's rapidly turning into a quagmire and I'm fed up of the dogs trailing mud in the house :(

I think we've been fairly lucky in this neck of the woods (South Yorkshire) and not had a massive amount of rain, apart from early November when it flooded badly but, like everywhere else, we've also not had any decent cold temperatures and frost, so the ground has just remained sodden and meh!!!

My little moan is not the fact I have to do this but the fact I gave away all my temporary fence posts and fencing when I got shut of all the horse stuff, so I've got to buy new :rolleyes:

{97702}

Visit site
I had a contractor come out yesterday to repair my fence which blew down in Storm Ciara (joys of a rented house!) - I asked him what I should do with my lawn, he said ‘rotovate it, level it and re-seed it all’ ??

He then said there was no point in doing that if the dogs were still going to be walking on it, so I’m going to have to wait until it’s a bit dryer then roll it it, harrow it and re-seed it. It has been wet to the point of squelching with visible standing water for months now ???

Karran

Visit site
I'll join in. My garden is on clay and has a nice muddy path leading all the way down it from the dogs haring down. It's got standing water and worse we've had to cancel flyball training two weeks in a row now. So Frustrated as we have lots of new things to work on with Mrs Spaniel and i'm desperate to get some mileage into Miss Collie so she can make a starters debut at Easter, but its looking less and less likely that she will be ready. :(

vallin

Visit site
It is truly grim. Daisy is on restricted walking and even getting in 10 minutes, three times a day in the dry is proving impossible! The horse has also managed a grand total of one day out in the field in about the last three weeks, after which she was then an absolute arse to bring in as out of routine - not useful when the field is miles from the yard and I'm 39 weeks pregnant! Bring on spring!

Oh, and to top it off the fence between our house and the neighbors has blown down so Daisy can't even be let out there for a wee unsupervised. Blerg!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I did a little cry when walking the dogs on Saturday. Everything is sodden, me, the dogs, the lawn (it has edging so the water isn't going anywhere so now looks like a swimming pool), the house, my clothes and one of mine gets sores between his toes if it's wet and muddy so has to be dried off to within an inch of his life every time he goes for a wee in the garden and I am running out of towels. Training fields are pretty saturated but most people are still training and competing, even in the storms, cause we're mental :p

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
My lawn is slime, which is interesting in combination with the crocs that live by the back door for late night wee trips - more than once now I have done a comedy slide-and-flail. It also took 12 days (and daily tantrums contact) for the letting agent to sort replacing a blown-down fence panel, so I was doing the slide-and-flail with between three and five dogs on leads. o_O

The horses are either in, bored and eating tons or out, filthy, wet and eating tons. Roll on summer...

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Just realised how much I’ve had to relax standards when I read this thread. I am drinking a coffee in the sitting room with a damp and rather smelly JRT on my lap. She’s had two proper outside sessions already today, one a walk, one around the stables and paddocks, and she comes back filthy each time. She really needs a warm shower each time she comes back in, but that’s a bit much, so we just towel her dry to get the worst off.

72EB582A-A861-41B1-A72F-512371EBA57E.jpeg

Chiffy

Visit site
I have been trying to count my blessings and not moan as we are not flooded like so many poor people but thanks, I would like to join in really!
Its the wind here that is the killer, it’s been unrelenting for two weeks, many times with added rain. It’s hard to look where you are going or stay on your feet!
My three retrievers don’t care about the weather and need two good walks a day.....I suppose it’s good for me to get out!
I live by the coast so the land is light and well drained, mud is not a problem. My garden is surviving , it’s large and apart from the churned up racetrack round the pond and up round the shrubbery the grass is more or less intact.
Oh for some dry, calm weather but not looking good this week.

Moobli

Visit site
We seem to have had snow when no one else has but I'd much rather have that than the constant rain some poor souls have been suffering with. Truly depressing - wet dogs, mud splattered walls, carpets decorated with muddy pawprints,constantly wet towels. I usually enjoy winter.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'm in "sunny" Devon. Red Devon Clay is what we've got here, and instead of a piebald I've got a pink-bald, my little'un (profile pic) looks very peculiar as she wears a rug but has a pink neck!! Oh dear........

ALL of my fields are trashed, luckily I have my own yard and so don't have any restrictions on what I use or how, but I simply don't have anywhere to turn the blighters out without it being too wet for them to move in, basically!

Took both horses to a TREC training day yesterday. Friend rode my other horse. Off we went in a howling gale. We'd decided to ride over to the venue which was fairly local, as we felt they'd both benefit from the one-and-a-quarter-hour hack over rather than chuck them in the trailer. They're both hyper at the moment, being both cobs they really hate being in at night but there simply isn't any other option. Basically, we'd hacked over, done an hour's work in the school, then hacked straight back, and STILL my youngster would easily have done it all again!! What they need is just turning out without rugs on to just have a fart, a buck, a roll and a hoon!! They just aren't prospering right now and it just isn't nice riding the blighters.

I've been where I am now since 1992 and yes there have been a few wet winters, but this one seems to have been soooh long and protracted, basically it just seems to have gone on for ever.

Some half terms (which we've just had) have been really nice and balmy where I used to have to put my old boy in his sweet-itch rug it was so hot! Well yes it IS mild I suppose, but wet and miserable with it, and I'm sure we're all sick of the dang wind.........

deb_l222

Visit site
I have been trying to count my blessings and not moan as we are not flooded like so many poor people but thanks, I would like to join in really!
Its the wind here that is the killer, it’s been unrelenting for two weeks, many times with added rain. It’s hard to look where you are going or stay on your feet!
My three retrievers don’t care about the weather and need two good walks a day.....I suppose it’s good for me to get out!
I live by the coast so the land is light and well drained, mud is not a problem. My garden is surviving , it’s large and apart from the churned up racetrack round the pond and up round the shrubbery the grass is more or less intact.
Oh for some dry, calm weather but not looking good this week.

Yes, I’ve been trying to ‘keep positive’ because things could be a lot worse and some of the images on the TV are just horrendous of the flooding but some days are more pants than others, even when you’re fairly well off.

Finished up ordering the temporary fencing online because it was half the price of screwfix / B&Q etc. The drawback is, I’m still hollering like a daft woman “stop walking through THAT bit”!! It should arrive Thursday :)