Daughter and Little Dolly update!! ***PICS***

redmone

Visit site
Hi everyone!

Sorry it's been a while!!

I'm sooooo pleased with how things are going for Daughter and Dolly at the moment, that I thought I'd share a few pics with you.

Hope there's people out there still interested!!!

First a bit of an update! Things are going good. Really good. All the problems we experienced in the past are, well, in the past! Daughter's riding has come on leaps and bounds, and Dolly is in much better shape.

Strange how massive some problems seemed last year, and now they're nothing!!! Dolly can still be a poo in the stable, but she's better than she was and I hope summer chills her out (or warms her up!) more!!!

Daughter can now canter Dolly confidently - we're working on steering at the moment. She had a great outside lesson last week, which was excellent. Lots of practicing keeping Dolly's attention with all those distractions! Did a good bit of canter then too.

And on Sunday we had the indoor school to ourselves, and for the first time daughter got Dolly to canter without an instructor (and lots of times too). Daughter's confidence has grown so much, I just really don't want anything to set them back.

Daughter has done a few little steps towards jumping, and is so excited to start. She can't wait. I'm still a bit nervous, but honestly, much much better than I was.

So that's it! Everything is great!!! I'm sorry - that's probably quite a boring update, but I couldn't ask for more to be honest!! I'm so proud of them both.

So here's the pics (hopefully!).....

12032011768.jpg

AlandDol.jpg

Bacon butty rewards for everyone who read this!!! Yeah, sod the diet :D:D:D

redmone

Visit site
So pleased you are all doing well, Dolly looks a happy pony. If Daughter is cracking canter, jumping should be fine! Mind you I used to be a terrible worrier when my kids rode so I know how you feel.
Could just do with a bacon butty :D

I just had a bacon butty so thought it would be nice to share!

My nerves were awful when we first got Dolly, and some of the strokes she pulled....well....:eek: but she's much better now, and I'm not as bad!
:eek:
Funny because I used to be scared when she cantered, and I was watching in the gallery, but on Sunday when I was in the school with her whilst she cantered, it didn't look as scary! Don't understand that!! But I think I just trust them both a lot more. I'm sure we'll still have our moments, but everything is tonnes better than it was.

Just wish I'd given everything more time in the beginning, rather than losing sleep over every little thing! Oh well....you live and learn! :)

StarFell

Visit site
I haven't been following their story either, but lovely to hear they've sorted all their problems out and are doing well, they look a great little team :)

dafthoss

Visit site
Glad it's all settling in to place for you all. Well done to daughter and dont forget to keep us updated with her jumping progress :D

redmone

Visit site
That's really good news :) and I must say they both look really happy. Dolly has a much happier face!

She has, hasn't she! I was only saying that recently.

She seems much happier now, and has really benefited from a good routine.

She's even got a turnout friend now! :D

Other thing I can't believe is how big my daughter looks! She looked so small on Dolly when we got her, but with Dolly toning up a bit (;)) and daughter growing a little, they look perfect together now.

Well I think so anyway....:D

DuckToller

Visit site
Lovely pics - get the camera ready for the jumping ones next!

I do feel sorry for ponies - they get passed from pillar to post so often especially the smaller ones, and it does take them time to learn to trust again (doesn't excuse the kick though :(). Dolly does indeed look a happy and relaxed pony now - time and patience. Well done.

I read an article about displaced play activity - might have mentioned it before - in short the smaller ponies get bullied in the field and don't always get a chance to do mutual grooming etc and are usually at the bottom of the pecking order, so they can take their frustration out on their little humans instead. Hopefully she will improve now she has a field friend to groom and bite :).

dibbin

Visit site
Your daughter and Dolly both look much happier! I remember reading about all the problems you had with her, and it's great to hear she's doing well :)

redmone

Visit site
Lovely pics - get the camera ready for the jumping ones next!

I do feel sorry for ponies - they get passed from pillar to post so often especially the smaller ones, and it does take them time to learn to trust again (doesn't excuse the kick though :(). Dolly does indeed look a happy and relaxed pony now - time and patience. Well done.

I read an article about displaced play activity - might have mentioned it before - in short the smaller ponies get bullied in the field and don't always get a chance to do mutual grooming etc and are usually at the bottom of the pecking order, so they can take their frustration out on their little humans instead. Hopefully she will improve now she has a field friend to groom and bite :).

That sounds very interesting - I do remember you mentioning that. It was awful when she kicked my daughter, but it did teach daughter a valulable lesson. They're not teddies, and she should never be complacent. We were both doing a few things wrong at that time (lack of experience) and it was a check for both of us to start learning a bit more about how to handle her. I do forgive her for that :rolleyes: but god help her if she ever did it again. I try to put it down to being unsettled and having a new little person in her stable.

I think the problem has also been Dolly's size and strength. Because she's only 12.2 (although a big 12.2) but she's stocky and strong, and a bit much for little kids, but too small for bigger handlers. So I think she's not really had the chance to "settle" at least in the past few years.

So I think she's really benefitted from having a good routine and apart from my daughter, a few regular riders who don't take any messing. And the good thing about my daughter is that she's been riding a good few years, and is used to cheeky ponies, but she's small enough to have many years with Dolly. I think they're just at the beginning of a really good journey together.

She seems much happier now. She's well grumpy with me in the stable sometimes (don't let it bother me now, I either ignore or tell her off) and I thought perhaps she didn't like me. But on Sunday after daughter had worked her, she just let her wander around (no one else in the school) on the buckle, and she kept following me around. So perhaps she does like me after all! Was a nice feeling! :D

She's much nicer to us outside her stable, so we've learnt to respect her space and not to invade it. And to value the time when we're in her stable and she's really sweet with us. She's the best, and we all love her.

I can't imagine ever letting her go, and I've no intention of doing so. :D

c2b

Visit site
I am so so pleased things are working out. Those early days are a nightmare aren't they when every little thing seems such a big thing.
So you next then?
I know what you mean about watching. My grandaughter got tanked off with in a lesson last weekend. While I am busy having a heart attack :) she ended up on ponies neck and proudly announced "that was fun". Oh how I wish I had the fearlessness of a 9 yr old.

Wobblywibble

Visit site
Lovely pics and so glad things have worked out - your daughter looks made up and Dolly looks so much slimmer.

Some horses are ALWAYS grumpy in the stable and some of them are quite distant and never really show affection. It doesn't mean they dislike you, its just the way they are and a lot of ex-riding school ponies are like this. Sounds as if she can be sweet, so hopefully it is just a case of her getting used to you.

Keep us updated!

coolio

Visit site
What lovely happy faces in photo's. Given me hope as my daughter had her 2nd pony last September and we are struggling big time. Can only hope for a success story. :)

WelshRuby

Visit site
Hi Redmone,
I followed you other threads but didn't comment. You sound so much more chilled. So pleased that your daughter and Dolly are a team now; they do look good together and Dolly looks fab. Really looking forwards to updates

joeanne

Visit site
I was wondering about you the other day and hoping daughter and Dolly were getting on well. Nice to see thats exactly the case!
Love the second picture.:D

smellsofhorse

Visit site
I dont know the full story but it sounds as though you have worked hard and are cracking the problems.
If you can see a difference then is must be working.

Just shows that if we put in some hard work we gets lots of rewards back!

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Lovely pics :) dont know why but i expected Dolly to be grey lol.

Lol. I also thought this? Dunno why.
I remember reading about your trial and the issues daughter and Dolly were having.

Lovely to have an update and for it to be going so well. Sounds like a fab partnership the two of them have going and long may it continue x

appylass

Visit site
Lovely pictures, Dolly looks a cracking pony, I can't believe how much longer your daughter's legs are, that must be helping her lots! The great thing is that because Dolly has a bit more about her than some small ponies, your daughter will have fun with her for ages. Well done to you all.