Daughter grossed out....

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Has anyone experienced the following..apparently I’m not taking her seriously....older mare has a Bridleways Apple design no fill rain sheet. Daughter has insisted that mare must wear it now it’s October and has rained. Mare wore it and it was hung up to dry. One corner...at the front near to fastenings but at the lower edge next to the seams/binding has a squidgy gel like lump which isn’t really drying out. There are no rips, tears or holes ( I considered a mud/hair mix) in the sheet and daughter has been sniffing it saying it smells sour and doggy and not like the rest of the rug ( we fell out because I refused to sniff the blummin rug from chest to tail end).
Obviously this is not a world is ending query but if anyone has any ideas which I could pass on I’d be grateful ?

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Bless you..keep the ideas coming I’m passing them on. We ve had the rug a year but I’m a cruel mum and mare was mostly out without rugs over winter last year so whilst I was thinking pony grease and hair she really hasn’t had it on much at all. I’m tempted to make an incision in the lining to remove some of it for investigation.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
If it smells like a wet Labrador the pony is in need of a wash. My Connie makes his rugs smell like this as soon as they go on. I think it’s a combination of sweat, grease and being rugged in the rain.
Ohh yes! ? I have one that gets stinky, he’s quite a greasy horse in general but after rain he reeks!!

Shay

Visit site
Wash the rug? It sounds like she has rolled on or other wise picked up a slug or something similar. Or it has crawled up there whilst the rug was hung to dry. Personally I'd pick it off with my fingernails and keep going. But if it bothers you get the rug washed.

Its usually better to let rugs dry on the horse if you can - obviosuly not if the rug is wet through. But most modern rugs are better left to dry on the horse than hung wet.