Daughter pony so nappy she dangerous out hacking

Kayf

New User
Visit site
My daughter who 7 has a 10h section A pony she has been riding since she was 2 and off lead rein for 2 1/2 years. Our pony who has always been a saint has turned into a pig, out hacking she will turn and gallop for home with no warning so much so she cannot go off the lead rein or we all have to walk behind to catch pony, jumping and pony clubbing she has gone hard work, running out at jumps, napping and just being difficult to get going and so so stubborn this has been happening for a year or so.

We have tried turning her away and starting training from scratch,

Professional schooling and lessons

Balance support reins

Teeth, back, saddle fit and vet checked.

This isn't my daughters riding ability she is very competent, she does this with myself and riding instructors. I should also point out she drives with no problems what so ever.

What more can I do and advice greatly received? I don't want to give up on her as I've had her since she was 3 years old and she is now 12. We've been told by our instructor to give up and find something easier. :-(

mynutmeg

Visit site
I do wonder if its pain related despite the vet and back check. Given she's fine to drive it would suggest its the weight on her back she's disliking in which case is it worth getting a set of spine x-rays to rule out anything like kissing spines.
There has to be a reason bheind it as they don't jsut decide to be naughty, it's just a case of finding the reason and seeing if it can be resolved or not.

amage

Visit site
Sounds like pony is trying to tell you that daughter has surpassed pony's abilities and pony is well and truly out of its comfort zone. A dream leadrein pony is often not a great off lead pony. Perhaps it's time to put the word out to find a new tot to learn on leadrein and a pony that is ready to help bring your daughter on again

be positive

Visit site
I agree it sounds as if it is pain related, saintly ponies do not turn into pigs for no reason, they may start off as pigs and never get better but I have yet to know one that went from good to bad while in the same home. I would have another good check by the vet, possibly another physio to look, often new eyes can pick up something that has been overlooked.
I would also take a good look at her feet and weight, not wanting to jump, if she was previously happy to, is often a sign that it hurts when landing so they stop rather than put up with the pain involved, she may be happier going back to being a LR pony but I would want to investigate before giving up on her.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I agree with be positive. I'd get a 2nd opinion from a good equine vet/dentist/physio and saddler and the farrier. I don't understand why you would think that a pony you know well and have had for several yrs without problem would suddenly turn into a 'pig'. She is obviously trying to tell you something and you are not listening.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Coming off the lead rein turned our saintly mini Shet into a pig but it was quite obvious what was triggering it and with some thinking outside the box (cos no one else could ride him!) we solved it. Presumably she hasn't been ridden off the lead rein before?

I think I would get the vet again and try a bute trial and an adult rider. If she doesn't improve you might have to resign yourself to her being a lead rein.

BethH

Visit site
I agree about feet - foot balance could be out of kilter with the work she is now being asked to do. By that I mean whereas as before she could cope with the imbalance as it was quite easy work, now that she is being asked to do more maybe it is making her sore as she can't use herself correctly. Have you changed farrier at all and how are her heels? Sore feet will transfer in to tension in all sort of points/muscles around her body. It does seem odd that you have had her that long and she has been off lead rein for 2 1/2yrs that the last 12mths has seen such a character change - maybe you could pop a video of her moving on here there are lots off good people on the forum who could spot something??

JGC

Visit site
For sudden changes in behaviour, I would definitely be thinking it was pain-related. I would start with checking for ulcers, inflamed ovaries, hormonal problems, kissing spine, foot imbalance, changes to neck and whatever else the vet could suggest. Have there been any changes to her diet?