Daybreak giving out wrong info re Zara

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
Obviously got a bee in my bonnet today. Daybreak news saying that we haven't won a medal in eventing since Mark Phillips 40 years ago. Hello!!! I've emailed them with a link to put them right. We may be a minority sport to some but it doesn't take a lot to google to get your facts.

Elbie

Visit site
I have a bee this morning too as all the press is about Zara. In the Metro they just mentioned her great round and how she could win a Gold like her dad. Hmmm...yes it would be great if she won a medal but I seem to recall Tina Cook and Mary King are ahead of her in 5th and 6th!

AprilBlossom

Visit site
All of this incorrect hype really makes me feel for Leslie law - he did SO well yet the media conveniently forget him at every opportunity. Grr!

Potato!

Visit site
No but im sure Mary said she had silver and bronze medals from the olympics previously so yes the facts are wrong.

zefragile

Visit site
For anyone who wants to check out the medal record for GB, British Eventing's website is useful *CLICK*
GB has the most amazing medal record at pony, junior, young rider and senior levels!

caramel

Visit site
yeah I don't like the fact it's all about zara! The other riders are really good too...

Also.. in the Daily Telegraph olympic supplement, had Charlotte Dujardin down as doing the eventing dressage with Valegro!

barbaraNcolin

Visit site
Ha. But on the plus side, BBC breakfast had a nice bit about the eventing this morning at about 6.20 (not sure if they repeated it again later or not?) with XC clips from all 5 riders and I think it was fairly accurate too :)

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I heard the daybreak comment about showjumping - but they did say the first British team medal in 40 years so maybe had checked their information.
The eventing bit just been on BBC1 again. :)

Kat

Visit site
Leslie Law, 2004!

Feel so sorry for Leslie Law, he didn't get his chance at the proper medal ceremony at the time and now keeps getting forgotten.

Having said that Daybreak's predecessor GMTV did actually interview him at the time he accepted the medal (in a field in Yorkshire). I thought his medal should have been in the Olympic Memorable Moments show - it was pretty unusual.

Freddie22

New User
Visit site
I have a bee this morning too as all the press is about Zara. In the Metro they just mentioned her great round and how she could win a Gold like her dad. Hmmm...yes it would be great if she won a medal but I seem to recall Tina Cook and Mary King are ahead of her in 5th and 6th!

I completely agree! Yes, Zara has done extremely well but it appears to me that the media are focusing on her and overlooking the rest of the British team who also ALL performed to an outstanding level.

On a more trival note, was the eventing icon/image that flashed on the screen every time they changed the camera angle at the eventing getting on anyone else's nerves!?

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
I heard the daybreak comment about showjumping - but they did say the first British team medal in 40 years so maybe had checked their information.
The eventing bit just been on BBC1 again. :)

We've also had team medals in the last 40 years so they're wrong on that. All this calling eventing showjumping is like saying Paula Radcliffe runs the 100 metres. Yes she does but she does an awful lot more as well. They wouldn't get that one wrong

4x4

Visit site
I completely agree! Yes, Zara has done extremely well but it appears to me that the media are focusing on her and overlooking the rest of the British team who also ALL performed to an outstanding level.

On a more trival note, was the eventing icon/image that flashed on the screen every time they changed the camera angle at the eventing getting on anyone else's nerves!?

Yes me and OH were going mad about it the stupid blue thing!

Elbie

Visit site

YES YES YES! Kept popping up at really inconvenient times, like when someone was about to jump.

We had a right battle trying to watch yesterday. Lacked the special olympic channels and spent so much time channel hopping having to keep up. At one point we were on BBC3 then gymnastics suddenly popped up. Went to BBC1 which was showing the SAME gymnastics. Lost about 10 minutes of eventing.